RX470 instead of RX480 a huge biggie?

imre

Limp Gawd
Hi,

I am a budget kind of a guy, but i do realize that for this as a hobby or to try and see if the interest still remains a craze or a crave even if this is guessed to be a phase one is going through, it is evident that you need to try and buy proper hardware and not junk that is only going to cost you electricity.

I currently have 2 platforms and i do have a decent power supply.
One platform is AMD and the other is Intel.
MSI A88X G43 - AMD X4 860k ; GTX 650 ; 16Gb GSkill sniper 1866 (recently upgraded from AGP 7800)
Intel i7 2600K Gigabyte - unsure of the motherboard details though but it is an Hxx version.
Only 4 GB ddr3 ram 1333.

Its clear the Intel is the winner here when it comes to mining performance.

For now though ,
Please bear with me but i only have the hardware I currently have and i would like to make the most of it.
OR maybe i can consider based on your feedback... selling my hardware and then buying a decent Mobo/Cpu.

...I would like to make my focus a good decent Graphics card,

I originally wanted to get a GTX variant and then somebody told me to not waste my time as the AMD GPUs are far more superior.

So i had the RX460 in mind and perhaps even 2 of them.

My situation is that i have 2 computers with 2 PCI-E slots and if i really want to brave like everybody here who farms, then try out the risers and go bigger, but i want to crawl first?

So please teach me....

I have played around with mining tools cli's such as cpuminer former minerd xxminer and cudaminer.... i mean some of them are really old and then u get forks and then more forks. I do not have an AMD GFX card so i can not test components like SGMiner or CGMiner since i have not had ant luck getting to work on my old GTX650 that i have.

Anyways moving on, i would like to get the RX470 and for my purpose i would guesstimate the 4GB PowerColor or HIS brand would be fine? Unless it rather get the RX480 4GB version....i look at the graphs and watch games and their represented FPS stats and seen some mining videos where there is a difference of 2-3 million hashes a second...its a lot on paper....like football team could be in the world cup , but the results maybe not the same, not sure maybe its a bad analogy.

Is it a mistake if i buy the RX470 instead of the RX480?
Do i really go ahead and buy the 8GB version should i take the RX480.... it is alot of money for me, but i am prepared to buy the RX470 or even 2 and maybe even just go ahead and buy the Rx480 8gb if it can change my life just like when u have a bowl of spaghetti and then another RX470.

So 2 RX470's OR 1 Rx480 4/8Gb and 1 RX470 probably the 4GB version.

Im really not sure,

Thanks for reading and helping.

Last edited:
Back