RX400 and RX500 watts/performance choice and combination

imre

Limp Gawd
Hi,

So we know the power consumption between the 2 ranges of cards is different.
I wanted to know, form you guys, apart from the mining guys, which card would you choose in terms of power and performance?

If you could get the Rx480 card at a decent price and the RX570/Rx570 was also available for say 50$ more, how do you decide? bearing in mind power is an issue for you as you would not want to use so much if you are mining?

Now, if you had an existing setup of 2 RX470;s then how would you decide or choose?

Are you talking about replacing a crossfire setup with a single card for the purposes of cutting down on power use?

If so, if I had an existing setup of 2 RX 470s I wouldn't be buying RX480 or RX 570/580 right now; the single card would be slower than your dual setup and wouldn't be worth the price; with some of those cards going for $450+ you'd be better off buying a GTX 1080 if you wanted good single card performance and lower power use. Buying two of them would put you into 1080ti territory.

Though if I understand your question correctly, you're talking about "at a decent price" IE not the inflated mining prices we're all currently stuck with. In that case I think an 8GB RX 580 at $230 is a pretty good deal, but still not enough to "upgrade" from an RX470, and definitely not if you're running two already.

If I were going for just good value/performance and could get an RX 580 at close to MSRP, I'd do that, but it'd also have to be a good upgrade over what I was currently using. Maybe if I was on R9 380/380X or R9 280/280X I'd pay up to $300 or so for one, but beyond that it just gets silly.

Hi , so no, i have an existing setup of RX470 PowerColor Red Devil 4GB and Saphire Nitro+ 8GB.
I have been waiting for so long to save up and get another card , and now with all the limitations we have in buying cards, i am left with 2 types of RX570's and a RX480, so i amnot sure which is a better option for me.
I am using this for gaming BUT mainly for mining.
And yes sadly we have this thing called greed, but i am not going to pay 1.5 x (never mind 2x+) the price or even more for a card its bloody insane or ridiculous.

Hmm. So you're looking at taking your existing setup of 2x RX470, and making it either: 1x RX470 and 1x RX480, or going with 2x RX 570?

I don't think either configuration is worth spending money on. The 2x RX 570 setup in some situations might get you a few percentage points better performance but I think you'd wind up breaking even on power (or just more if you're running at higher clocks for longer times). Dropping an RX480 in to your existing setup to replace one of your RX470s would just increase power draw, though you would likely see some extra performance there in your mining at least.

I'm not sure how Crossfire handles cards with different specs, but I expect dropping the RX 480 in place of one of your RX 470s would possibly also increase gaming performance, but not by much?

IIRC, AMD cards that are not identical do work together but the faster card works at the pace of the slower card in the system. This is at least better than nVidia cards which won't work at all with dissimilar cards.

Buy you just one Vega56 and sell all the rest! End thread

Hmm. So you're looking at taking your existing setup of 2x RX470, and making it either: 1x RX470 and 1x RX480, or going with 2x RX 570?

I don't think either configuration is worth spending money on. The 2x RX 570 setup in some situations might get you a few percentage points better performance but I think you'd wind up breaking even on power (or just more if you're running at higher clocks for longer times). Dropping an RX480 in to your existing setup to replace one of your RX470s would just increase power draw, though you would likely see some extra performance there in your mining at least.

I'm not sure how Crossfire handles cards with different specs, but I expect dropping the RX 480 in place of one of your RX 470s would possibly also increase gaming performance, but not by much?

No, i want to just add a 3rd card to what i have.
I am undecided what my choice should be:
RX480 Red Dragon or RX480 MSI Armor (both 4GB)...
OR
RX570 Gigabyte Auros 4GB or some other RX570 i can find...
from what i have seen the RX500 cards are not as good on power....but is this really the case?
so this iw where i am trying to decide on what to get for my additional card..... a RX480 or RX570.....
this will be my additional card to my existing setup of 2 RX470;s one with 4GB and 8GB.
I hope this makes more sense.

The RX500 series are, as far as I can tell, juiced higher than their RX400 counterparts. You'll see higher power draw but they'll also perform better. You may find that tradeoff acceptable if you can get a good card/card combination that can undervolt and still maintain or increase clocks.

No, i want to just add a 3rd card to what i have.
I am undecided what my choice should be:
RX480 Red Dragon or RX480 MSI Armor (both 4GB)...
OR
RX570 Gigabyte Auros 4GB or some other RX570 i can find...
from what i have seen the RX500 cards are not as good on power....but is this really the case?
so this iw where i am trying to decide on what to get for my additional card..... a RX480 or RX570.....
this will be my additional card to my existing setup of 2 RX470;s one with 4GB and 8GB.
I hope this makes more sense.
the 500s and 400's are exactly the same power draw.The ones with higher ASIC quality (like mine) work great with lower voltages. The higher the clock speed the higher the power draw, no matter which card is used. But like i said to some degree people can lower power usage by lowing the voltage...its really just luck of the draw what ASIC your chip has.

I have a Nitro + 480, 8 gig card that i will be selling after i get my Vega 56 on Friday. I am not gonna ask a premium for it, cause i,m not a greedy dick. PM me if your interested.

Reactions: imre
like this
I have a Nitro + 480, 8 gig card that i will be selling after i get my Vega 56 on Friday. I am not gonna ask a premium for it, cause i,m not a greedy dick. PM me if your interested.
Hi i have messaged you, thank you.

Back