RX Vega Reportedly Offers “Insane Levels” of Mining Performance

No, Ethereum won't be mineable forever. Somewhere late this year or early next year Ethereum will switch to Proof of Stake and you won't be able to mine it with GPU's anymore.
What you linked to is DAG size which is basically memory size requirement.
except the 3GB 1060 is unaffected.
nor is the 4GB 1050.
nor is the 6GB 1060

Basically NVidia cards are unaffected by DAG size for whatever reason.

When Ethereum moves to POS, we'll have to move onto to other coins - but that date isn't actually set right?

Anyway - my point is -- the difficulty/hash rate isn't increasing for some cards. That's the reason I have four 1080TI mining instead of 8 RX470 I sold off shortly after purchase. Four 1080TI and eight RX470 were relatively equitable value a month ago. I sold the 8 RX470 for $2400 (less eBay/paypal fees). I bought the 4 1080TI for $2800 (ish) -- that and I think 1080TI will hold their value relatively well until Volta comes out (Even if mining dies completely). So there should be minimal value loss on the 1080TI through end of this year, or Q1 next year. If mining busts, then the RX470 cards will sell for like $80 to $100 - instead of $300 -- because the only reason their value is high - IS directly related to mining.

Last edited:
No, Ethereum won't be mineable forever. Somewhere late this year or early next year Ethereum will switch to Proof of Stake and you won't be able to mine it with GPU's anymore.
What you linked to is DAG size which is basically memory size requirement.

I'm not sure the DAG is memory dependant. My R9 290 is getting ~29.8MH/s with only 4GB VRAM, and thats a lot better than the 580's are doing with 8GB VRAM.

I'm hoping to get a Vega 64. I think i'll contact one or more of the vendors to see if I can reserve a single card. (I don't want more than one, I want to game at 1440p comfortably :))

nor is the 4GB 1050.
nor is the 6GB 1060

When Ethereum moves to POS, we'll have to move onto to other coins - but that date isn't actually set right?

Anyway - my point is -- the difficulty/hash rate isn't increasing for some cards. That's the reason I have four 1080TI mining instead of 8 RX470 I sold off shortly after purchase. Four 1080TI and eight RX470 were relatively equitable value a month ago. I sold the 8 RX470 for $2400 (less eBay/paypal fees). I bought the 4 1080TI for $2800 (ish) -- that and I think 1080TI will hold their value relatively well until Volta comes out (Even if mining dies completely). So there should be minimal value loss on the 1080TI through end of this year, or Q1 next year. If mining busts, then the RX470 cards will sell for like $80 to $100 - instead of $300 -- because the only reason their value is high - IS directly related to mining.

1060 3gb is unaffected until a certain point, I tested my 1060 3gb on DAG 175 and they worked fine, but DAG 180 didn't work. Up until DAG somewhere between 175-180 there will be no performance impact, that is correct, but after that it's game over for 3gb cards.
I also mined with my mining machine which had 1080Ti and honestly if you can find $400 1070 (which is not that hard as here 1070 is about $410 and up) then it's a much better choice. Some 1070 go up to 32mh/s, 1080Ti hits limit at about 37mh/s.

I'm not sure the DAG is memory dependant. My R9 290 is getting ~29.8MH/s with only 4GB VRAM, and thats a lot better than the 580's are doing with 8GB VRAM.

I'm hoping to get a Vega 64. I think i'll contact one or more of the vendors to see if I can reserve a single card. (I don't want more than one, I want to game at 1440p comfortably :))

It's the memory limit not memory performance. You can't mine Ethereum with 2gb cards anymore. When we hit DAG 180, 1060 3gb will be useless. We will most likely hit POS before 4gb cards become useless.

1060 3gb is unaffected until a certain point, I tested my 1060 3gb on DAG 175 and they worked fine, but DAG 180 didn't work. Up until DAG somewhere between 175-180 there will be no performance impact, that is correct, but after that it's game over for 3gb cards.
I also mined with my mining machine which had 1080Ti and honestly if you can find $400 1070 (which is not that hard as here 1070 is about $410 and up) then it's a much better choice. Some 1070 go up to 32mh/s, 1080Ti hits limit at about 37mh/s.

It's the memory limit not memory performance. You can't mine Ethereum with 2gb cards anymore. When we hit DAG 180, 1060 3gb will be useless. We will most likely hit POS before 4gb cards become useless.

That explains the 2.2/2.3GB memory usage then...lol
is there a Facepalm smiley ?

Here is probably the only use case where I wouldn't mind seeing the government add a mining tax. :p Ridiculous waste of energy for relatively small self gains and drives up costs for non-miners, sounds like made for a taxing scenario, I'm not suprised if it happens sooner or later in europe depending how the mining continue to develop. I'd be all for it!

As much as I am not happy about GPU prices being so high I would be even less of a fan of levying some arbitrary tax on a group of people who have found a way to make some money. Mining already has a limiting factor I.E the cost of electricity adding a tax to make it artificially UN-competitive is exactly the kind of government interference that hurts small businesses.

Also the tax likely would not work as well as you think, at first it would reduce the number of people mining but in the end the reduced supply of hashing power would simply result in an increased value of said hashing power so basically all that would happen is mining activity would shift to places that did not have the tax.

nor is the 4GB 1050.
nor is the 6GB 1060

Are you sure there's not a smell of male cows around your house? 4 1080ti's is a terrible mining rig. 1070's offer far better performance per watt, it's memory speed on Nvidia cards that count not the GPU perf. The 1080's mem config has more latency than the 1070's so it's actually worse for mining but offset slightly by it's higher frequency.

If on the other hand you bought the 1080ti's for their resale value and darn the energy use well maybe, but even then the upfront costing just doesn't make sense for mining .....

Here's my 1070's Eth mining settings (it's watercooled)... you tell me your hash rate and I'll tell ya mine :D

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    138.6 KB · Views: 47
Last edited:
Are you sure there's not a smell of male cows around your house? 4 1080ti's is a terrible mining rig. 1070's offer far better performance per watt, it's memory speed on Nvidia cards that count not the GPU perf. The 1080's mem config has more latency than the 1070's so it's actually worse for mining but offset slightly by it's higher frequency.

If on the other hand you bought the 1080ti's for their resale value and darn the energy use well maybe, but even then the upfront costing just doesn't make sense for mining .....

Here's my 1070's Eth mining settings (it's watercooled)

I mine at 65% power use and 95% performance. = 165 watt per card
or 60% power use and 90% performance. = 150 watt per card

https://hardforum.com/threads/compa...-x-vs-mining-on-1080ti-with-nicehash.1938806/

and yes - I personally think resale will be the best on the 1080TI over any viable mining card option --- simply because you can't get the 1070 or 1060 (or RX 570, RX 580 etc) for MSRP prices. So you are definitely paying inflated prices
Which means when you sell the card - if mining isn't hot - then you lose the extra inflated value you paid + the depreciation from new. whereas with the 1080TI you are only losing the depreciation from new (because you can still buy at MSRP all day long) -- The depreciation from new should be pretty minimal until Volta comes out since there is nothing faster -- so I think I'm entirely safe on resale for about three-four more months at least.

Last edited:
I think I got the black lung pop! eheahh eheahh

download.jpg

https://hardforum.com/threads/compa...-x-vs-mining-on-1080ti-with-nicehash.1938806/

and yes - I personally think resale will be the best on the 1080TI over any price --- simiply because you can't get the 1070 or 1060 for MSRP prices. So you are paying inflated prices
which means when you sell the card - if mining isn't hot - then you lose the inflation - plus the depreciation from new. whereas with the 1080TI you are only losing the depreciation from new -- which will be pretty minimal until volta comes out since there is nothing faster.

Get the MSRP reasoning, luckily i bought my 1070 for £320 quid last year. Can't buy em' at that price for love or money now (brexit + miners = painful uk prices now).

Interesting MH/s values in your other post. Most other places I've only seen 1080's get to about 36. How come yours are so high, would like to try the same software config as you on my 1070 which hovers around 34MH/s with settings in my post, not really sure on my power draw, I guessing about 75w for a single card.

We know that nothing comes close in dual mining to Fury X. There is most likely some truth to this rumor

AMD-Vega-NCU.jpg

Last edited:
Well.. my 1080Ti at 60% power is mining at 38mh/s.

My 1070's are mining at 32. At 70% power.

and yes - I personally think resale will be the best on the 1080TI over any viable mining card option --- simply because you can't get the 1070 or 1060 (or RX 570, RX 580 etc) for MSRP prices. So you are definitely paying inflated prices
Which means when you sell the card - if mining isn't hot - then you lose the extra inflated value you paid + the depreciation from new. whereas with the 1080TI you are only losing the depreciation from new (because you can still buy at MSRP all day long) -- The depreciation from new should be pretty minimal until Volta comes out since there is nothing faster -- so I think I'm entirely safe on resale for about three-four more months at least.

You should really put those 1080Ti in mining Zcash, ZenCash or Hush (don't mine Hush, I mine that XD) or something else but Ethash. 1080Ti is just terrible at that but shines at Equihash. For example, there's a much bigger chance that Zencash will go from $4 to $25 in a year or so, that basically makes your profit 5 times as high, while there's a slim chance of Etherum going to $1000.
That is if you hold, but if you're just mining for quick profit then I guess mining whatever is the most profitable now is the best option.

I mined different coins, but mainly Hush, I used that to buy more promising coins like NEO, Waves, Ark and Shift.

Anyway, this "70-100 MH/s" performance rumor from "Gibbo at Overclockers UK" is utter nonsense for RX Vega, since Vega FE only manages about 36-40Mh/s even after the Vega-specific optimizations in Claymore 9.8. More than double, yeah rite. F outta here.

As I was saying, the "70-100MH/s" claim/rumor was total bullshit.

aHR0cDovL21lZGlhLmJlc3RvZm1pY3JvLmNvbS9WL0wvNzAyMjczL29yaWdpbmFsL21pbmluZy5wbmc=

Last edited:
AMD has finally reached it's graphics card gaming market which is a graphics card that doesn't need driver updates.

Back