RX Vega Owners Thread

1020 is still a nice boost over the 945, but the stock blower really limits these cards..Please tell me you have it undervolted and have given it 65-70% custom PL via modified power limits vs the stock voltage etc? It will use less power and run cooler and faster.

If the mining boom had not happened, I problably would have been buying VEGAs, binning them, and shipping them to buyers with the proper settings already to go. They just plug it and and follow some simply directions and they are off the races. But the boom did happen, and made me a lot moar money :-D

ManofGod , any updates? You should not need the voltage that high, since that is really just the gPU floor voltage, and has nothing to do with the HBM voltage at all. We cannot control the HBM voltage at all.

Has anyone tried using the "Timing 1 vs Timing 2" option in Wattman 19.x? I have the first 19.x release, and the auto OC feature just black screens and then hard reboots my system. I tried it just for kicks even though I know what my cards can do. I have not played with those timings, as I am trying to figure out the best WC'ing path for my Radeon VIIs right now.

Well, I did not actually manually set the HBM voltage in Wattman, it did so on it's own when I enabled the manual voltage slider for the GPU voltage. I just went ahead and left that alone. (By the way, where do I find the HBM temp at, the radeon overlay?) All the other temps and results I was reading from the AMD Link App on my phone.)

Well, I did not actually manually set the HBM voltage in Wattman, it did so on it's own when I enabled the manual voltage slider for the GPU voltage. I just went ahead and left that alone. (By the way, where do I find the HBM temp at, the radeon overlay?) All the other temps and results I was reading from the AMD Link App on my phone.)

You need to use GPU-Z...It will give you the GPU temp, the GPU hotspot temp, and the HBM temp.

I've spent the past two weeks tweaking, here is the final daily-driver overclock:

Memory: 1175 MHz (975 mV)
Core +5%: 1712 MHz (1250 mV)

https://www.3dmark.com/spy/6209735

Sapphire Vega 64 w/Alphacool Eiswolf 120 & Eisbaer 280 on CPU

I feel like there is more room on the Core if I drop the OC on the mem.

I've spent the past two weeks tweaking, here is the final daily-driver overclock:

Memory: 1175 MHz (975 mV)
Core +5%: 1712 MHz (1250 mV)

https://www.3dmark.com/spy/6209735

Sapphire Vega 64 w/Alphacool Eiswolf 120 & Eisbaer 280 on CPU

I feel like there is more room on the Core if I drop the OC on the mem.

3DMark and games (clock wise) are two different things)...I could run Superpositioon @ 1825Mhz all day long, but not sustain that in games. That is still great for a benchmark though!. Honestly I have found with extensive testing that for 95% of use cases, keeping the HBM as high as possible (as long as your core speed is ~1650Mhz or so) gives better frame times and thus a better experience.

You need to use GPU-Z...It will give you the GPU temp, the GPU hotspot temp, and the HBM temp.

GPU never got above 80 and HBM only briefly got to 84. However, there was no GPU hotspot temp and I let it create a log file well running Fire Strike.

3DMark and games (clock wise) are two different things)...I could run Superpositioon @ 1825Mhz all day long, but not sustain that in games. That is still great for a benchmark though!. Honestly I have found with extensive testing that for 95% of use cases, keeping the HBM as high as possible (as long as your core speed is ~1650Mhz or so) gives better frame times and thus a better experience.

I agree with benchmarks being a good reference point but needing to adjust the settings for individual games. I have had factory OC'd cards that I had to downclock to stock settings because they would CTD during gaming for a few MHz.

So far the only problem I've run into with these settings are some random blue shading/artifacts on a couple maps in BFV. When I pull my card out to tackle the case's cable management then I will probably go through the hassle of re-clocking the card to eliminate those probs in BFV.

GPU never got above 80 and HBM only briefly got to 84. However, there was no GPU hotspot temp and I let it create a log file well running Fire Strike.
Hot spot temp is off by default, you have to enable it in settings of GPU-Z.

So just picked up a Sapphire Nitro+ Vega 64. After some driver issues were worked out card seems great. I have it locked it at

1665-1715mhz (1690avg) core 1.2v @ 66c
1100mgz HBM 1.1v @ 70c

Been trying to read up on info to pull more out of the card was wondering if anyone has some tweaks that have worked for them. Tried the undervolting and didnt get anything more out of it. Was looking at flashing to LC bios and editing some power play tables. Any luck with that??

Screenshot (3301).png
Screenshot (3301).png

It's late so I will have to do a short reply, but that is a Lot Of" HBM voltage" unless you have crap Hynix HBM. . I say that in wuotes since that is not the HBM voltage at all but the "GPU FLOOR VOLTAGE"... You are using way too much of the board's power limit feeding the core that much.

Which brand ram do you have?

It's late so I will have to do a short reply, but that is a Lot Of" HBM voltage" unless you have crap Hynix HBM. . I say that in wuotes since that is not the HBM voltage at all but the "GPU FLOOR VOLTAGE"... You are using way too much of the board's power limit feeding the core that much.

Which brand ram do you have?

Samsung. I dropped it to .975 and it locked up/crashed. 1.0 was stable but my core settings were set higher(P6-1632/P7-1742) when that happened.

Well after editing Powerplay table (no bios stuff) I think Im maxed out on air. 1700mhz avg clock with 1100mhz HBM. stable at 61-65c core 66-70c HBM. Cooler Sapphire used on this card is great. Got the card on sale for $390 and it keeps close to a 2070 which is going for $100-$130 more so I cant complain.
Screenshot (3347).png

Well after editing Powerplay table (no bios stuff) I think Im maxed out on air. 1700mhz avg clock with 1100mhz HBM. stable at 61-65c core 66-70c HBM. Cooler Sapphire used on this card is great. Got the card on sale for $390 and it keeps close to a 2070 which is going for $100-$130 more so I cant complain.
View attachment 146626

That is a very nice score, and a great card...I would love to see that under water with a 200% PL. You would eat a 2070 in anything.

How come my reference vega 56 flashed to 64 gets stuck at 800mhz memory even if I set it to 1050mhz in wattman?

Does it work at the 940Mhz if you do not overclock it?
It seems to bounce between 800mhz and 940mhz when I put the speed at 940Mhz in wattman.
I think I might have flashed this to a custom bios for mining a long while back.
Hmm..

It seems to bounce between 800mhz and 940mhz when I put the speed at 940Mhz in wattman.
I think I might have flashed this to a custom bios for mining a long while back.
Hmm..

I would completely remove the drivers and then install the latest ones. (Use DDU, Display Driver Uninstaller)

I just bought a used Xfx V56 and I cannot believe how fking loud this thing gets. Coming from a GTX 780 than 970.... This is wild.

I just bought a used Xfx V56 and I cannot believe how fking loud this thing gets. Coming from a GTX 780 than 970.... This is wild.

Which one? Also, bad fan if it is a custom one?

Which one? Also, bad fan if it is a custom one?
xfx.jpg
This one, I dont think its a bad fan, It just spins up so loud it reminds me of the 290x days. Right now im only using 1 1080p monitor. In 2-3 weeks ill be rocking 3. Poor GPU is going to be taking off like a fighter jet.

You got taken. I’ve yet to read anything good about that model of Vega 56. You’d probably be better off with a reference model

Well, I am the proud new owner of [H]ardOCP's AMD reference Vega 64 that Kyle sold me this past Thursday. The card is expected to arrive this coming Thursday. I've been skimming this thread off and on for a while now, but now that I am actually the owner of a Vega 64 (coming off of RX 480), I have some questions...

I am ordering a Barrow liquid block for this card so I can fit it to my custom water loop. My questions are these:

1) How do I determine what kind of HBM memory is on the card?

2) Are there any gotchas I need to be aware of before I pull off the reference blower?

3) How do I acquire and flash a Liquid Cooled BIOS to this card?

4) What is the best process to use and utilities needed for undervolting and overclocking this card?

My water loop right now is installed in a Cooler Master C700P and consists of 2x420mm Black Ice Nemesis slim copper rads cooled by 3 Corsair ML-140's each (one front mounted and one top mounted, both with fans blowing in to case, one ML-120 used as rear exhaust), a Koolance CPU-390 block mounted on a Ryzen R7 2700X using PBO, and a XSPC Photon v2 270 D5 pump/res combo. Right now, I also have my monstrosity of a rigged RX480 in it, but that is obviously being replaced by the Vega. Power supply is an older Antec 850. When I go to install this into my loop, I am considering reversing the top rad fans to exhaust and would like opinions on this.

Well, I am the proud new owner of [H]ardOCP's AMD reference Vega 64 that Kyle sold me this past Thursday. The card is expected to arrive this coming Thursday. I've been skimming this thread off and on for a while now, but now that I am actually the owner of a Vega 64 (coming off of RX 480), I have some questions...

I am ordering a Barrow liquid block for this card so I can fit it to my custom water loop. My questions are these:

2) Are there any gotchas I need to be aware of before I pull off the reference blower?

4) What is the best process to use and utilities needed for undervolting and overclocking this card?

Welcome to the club!

1) I would guess you have Samsung HBM.

2) Not that I'm aware of

3 and 4) You should be able to find everything here. BIOS and tweaking info.
https://www.overclock.net/forum/67-amd/1634018-official-vega-frontier-rx-vega-owners-thread.html

https://www.overclock.net/forum/67-amd/1633446-preliminary-view-amd-vega-bios.html

For overclocking and undervolting I use Overdriven tool
https://forums.guru3d.com/threads/overdriventool-tool-for-amd-gpus.416116/

My water loop right now is installed in a Cooler Master C700P and consists of 2x420mm Black Ice Nemesis slim copper rads cooled by 3 Corsair ML-140's each (one front mounted and one top mounted, both with fans blowing in to case, one ML-120 used as rear exhaust), a Koolance CPU-390 block mounted on a Ryzen R7 2700X using PBO, and a XSPC Photon v2 270 D5 pump/res combo. Right now, I also have my monstrosity of a rigged RX480 in it, but that is obviously being replaced by the Vega. Power supply is an older Antec 850. When I go to install this into my loop, I am considering reversing the top rad fans to exhaust and would like opinions on this.

How old is an "older Antec 850W?" Is it a multi-rail unit? If so, and you aren't planning on Crossfire anytime soon, then do yourself a favor and pick up a quality 80+Gold 750/850W unit..

. I'd normally recommend the Seasonic FP+ Gold 850Ws, but they have issues with Vega that SS both blames AMD for causing and says has been fixed in a revision since Feb of '18. In my experience this is not true (but that is just my experience with 3 failed units).

The EVGA G2+ are excellent units. Either way it's worth the $80-100 for a new quality unit.

Congrads on the card, did you get him to sign the shroud?

Thanks, guys, for the info and utility links. I'll be looking that over carefully.

I also have a Corsair 750 80+ gold power supply I can swap in if I need it, but I will keep in mind that there might be issues.

Ya know, it never even occurred to me to ask to have him sign it. :(

I'm looking forward to it! Maybe now I can plow through my steam game backlog!

watch out the CPU usage, at 1080P sadly you will underutilize your GPU being bottlenecked by that CPU, but you you will be mostly fine for most tittles.. anyway the performance jump will worth every penny spent on the Vega56

My msi twin frozr 7950, that i have had for years and years, finally died on me.

Just bought an ASUS STRIX Vega 56 as a replacement.

Congratulations...I had a 7950 Msi that used the 7970 PCB abd under water would do 1.375Ghz on the core...it was crazy fast for what it was.

The 56 should serve you nicely.

watch out the CPU usage, at 1080P sadly you will underutilize your GPU being bottlenecked by that CPU, but you you will be mostly fine for most tittles.. anyway the performance jump will worth every penny spent on the Vega56

Yeah I game at 1080P. It should be a speed improvement over the 7950 at least. Will give me a reason to upgrade everything else later.. lol.

Congratulations...I had a 7950 Msi that used the 7970 PCB abd under water would do 1.375Ghz on the core...it was crazy fast for what it was.

The 56 should serve you nicely.

Nice! I had the 7970 PCB on mine also.. ran it on air at ~1.1Ghz.

Yeah I game at 1080P. It should be a speed improvement over the 7950 at least. Will give me a reason to upgrade everything else later.. lol.

Nice! I had the 7970 PCB on mine also.. ran it on air at ~1.1Ghz.

Your best bet would be to use VSR to 1440P....If you can find a good deal (say ~$100) for a used 3770K then that would be nice upgrade without doing a full platform update. I had one at 5~5.2Ghz AC turbo with direct die water cooling. Was a great chip until the Intel/MS mitigations slowed things down to the point that even with a fresh install on a 960 Evo I was not happy.

I jumped ship to a 1600@ 4.1Gjz and then a 2700 @ 4.3 (before selling the 2700 before the price cuts since I knew I was getting either an 8 or 12 core Zen2 SKU). Despite the clock speed difference I was super hsppy. The AMD plstform was much smoother and my frame times were much more consistent in games.

I just scored an open box Vega 56 for a great price.. haven't had much time to really dial in the undervolting and overclocking.. I have undervolted the gpu and overclocked the memory up to 1000 (it has samsung according to gpu-z). I'm looking forward to spending more time finding that sweet spot. Running this with a Ryzen 2700x.. first time i've had a fully all Red box in a while, good to be back!

I just scored an open box Vega 56 for a great price.. haven't had much time to really dial in the undervolting and overclocking.. I have undervolted the gpu and overclocked the memory up to 1000 (it has samsung according to gpu-z). I'm looking forward to spending more time finding that sweet spot. Running this with a Ryzen 2700x.. first time I've had a fully all Red box in a while, good to be back!

Overclocking Vega cards is... interesting. In my (limited as I just recently got a Vega 64) experience, you just dial back the voltage at states 6 and 7 a bit, set the Power Limit up to +50% and you are done. Just change the voltage to match a noise and performance level you are happy with.

Overclocking Vega cards is... interesting. In my (limited as I just recently got a Vega 64) experience, you just dial back the voltage at states 6 and 7 a bit, set the Power Limit up to +50% and you are done. Just change the voltage to match a noise and performance level you are happy with.
Maybe i'm missing something basic, but how do I get my overclocking and undervolting settings to "stick"? I booted up last night and opened up wattman and everything was back to stock?

I Think I know why I got such a good deal on this Vega 56.. what I thought might be a squirrely fan motor might be coil whine? Are these known for coil whine issues? I wear headphones when I game at night so it's not an issue.. but it's the first time I've encountered an issue like this.

Overdriven tool works great btw

I Think I know why I got such a good deal on this Vega 56.. what I thought might be a squirrely fan motor might be coil whine? Are these known for coil whine issues? I wear headphones when I game at night so it's not an issue.. but it's the first time I've encountered an issue like this.

Overdriven tool works great btw

My admittedly limited experience with these cards has taught me this: Vega is SUPER SENSITIVE to power supplies.

Make sure that you are using different PCIe plugs from the power supply instead of using two plugs on the same cable, if you are doing that. Avoid using Molex-to-PCIe power adapters. Make sure your power supply is no less than 750W (again, in my limited experience), and you might STILL need to replace the power supply with a newer (reputable) one if it is more than a year or two old.

My Vega 64 whined like a bitch on my older Antec TruePower 850W. It was truly obnoxiously loud any time a game started up and nothing I did could get that to stop, so I replaced the power supply with another one I happened to have handy. It is almost entirely gone now using this much newer Antec TruePower 750W power supply. If I get into an older title that really ramps up the FPS, I can still hear it faintly, but like I said, mostly gone now. If that were still bothersome to me, I could actually enable the Frame Rate Limiter in the Radeon drivers to eliminate it entirely.

Back