RX Vega Owners Thread

Not a problem man, I hope it helps you eek a bit more clock speed outta your card. I'd be careful and keep your PowerLimit @ 75% max unless you replace that 240 with a super thick guy. I know that Ryzen is fairly cool running and low power, but if you have that CPU OC'd you aren't leaving a ton of cooling for the GPU. You are still better then the AIO 64 Version though, with a better pump so I think you will be fine @ 75-80%.

tried registry change with 19.3, no dice.

Vega doesn't ever hit the P7 state.. I can set my P6 to 1700Mhz and P7 to 1750Mhz, and it will stay @ 1700Mhz. If I set my P6 to 1750Mhz and P7 to 1755Mhz (P6 and P7 cannot be the same value on 17.8.2 or it gets stuck) it will hit 1750Mhz. Its funky, and I am not sure why AMD even included the P7 state. Maybe they figure we will all use LN2 to cool it during those long gaming sessions?:p:p:p:p

Anyway, for anyone interested here is the modified powerplay table: This will give you 142% PL, but do NOT go that high unless you are under a robust custom loop (I'd want at least a 240mm thick or 280/360 for the GPU alone). Here is the

To install this properly:

1. Reboot and DDU in safemode.

2. Reboot and install your choice of driver (you may need to use 17.8.2 at first but you can give 17.9.2 a try if you are already using it).

3. Open the zip file, and extract the file.

4. Double click on the file to add it to the registry.

5. Open Wattman, set your desired Voltage and crank that Power Limit Slider up as far as you want (up to 142%).

I would recommend starting with 75%, as you should see a nice healthy boost (since they GPU clock should stay around 1690-1715 on a so so card, or 1725-1750 on a good sample). I settled on 1.05V and 80% PL, since that gives me minimum frame rates of 75-80 @ 1440P all settings maxed in the games I am playing (mostly Maxed out GTA V with mods)...When I get back from my Vacay I am going to get a 1440P 144Hz or a 100Hz Ultrawide. Then I will crank that PL higher!!!:p

EDIT: In case you are wondering, this will work fine on a 56 flashed with the 64 bios. I am not sure if it will work on a stock 56 BIOS, but I believe it should since you are just modifying the PowerTables and how much current you pull at a given PL.

Have you noticed how it reacts in lighter games? For instance some of my Steam library has games that hit 1800mhz+, well above my set 1772mhz. But this is only in lighter games. Stressful ones it wil be up to 1750 but not anymore.

tried registry change with 19.3, no dice.

Open, Regedit, and navigate here HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4d36e968-e325-11ce-bfc1-08002be10318} . Tell me if you have more then the "0000" entry. If there is, you need to DDU again and reinstall. If you aren't playing PUBG, then I would use the 17.8.2. It is very stable in my testing and I know that it will work this way. At least give it a shot, and if it unlocks properly, you can try an upgrade to 17.9.2 without DDU'ing the 17.8.2 install.

EDIT: I totally forgot to tell you, you need to be using one of the AIO CLC 64 BIOS for those tables to work properly. I am using the Sapphire one but it shouldn't matter which one you want. Flash the BIOS, and then DDU, and reinstall.

Have you noticed how it reacts in lighter games? For instance some of my Steam library has games that hit 1800mhz+, well above my set 1772mhz. But this is only in lighter games. Stressful ones it wil be up to 1750 but not anymore.

Honestly I haven't, I have been playing Ryse Son of Rome which as you is insane @ 1440P with SSAA, and GTA V maxed with mods. I have been super busy the last two weeks so I haven't had much time to game to be honest.

Last edited:
Did some bench marking this morning while waiting for my laundry that I forgot to put the dryer to rewash..I have a new personal best for FireStrike and Super Position, all with less then stock power draw.

Here is my best FireStrike score:

VEGA 56 @ 1100Mhz HBM 1.1V, 65% PL. Power draw was 25W higher then stock, which is just insane considering the huge increase in performance:

Vega FS 1100Mhz HBM 50% PL Stock Voltage.png

Here is my Super Position, with the same settings mentioned above:

SP 1100Mhz HBM 50% PL Stock Voltage.png

Anyone else been able to get over 11K in Super Position? I am super happy with the card, it is so much fun tweaking it and trying different things. I have been able to get 95% of the performance mentioned above all while shaving 100~115W off the power draw which is insane. My card loves 1100Mhz HBM/1.05V/80% PL. My max HBM speed 1110Mhz. Anyone been able to go any higher? I guess I have a good card based on the speeds a lot of members on other forums have posted.

That's very impresive, but are you measuring power off the wall or going by GPU-only power draw? That HBM bump seems to get very power hungry.

I don't think FreeSync is working properly right now in the newest driver on my liquid cooled Vega. I used the windmill demo to verify and it's super clunkyy.

When I've run this on my Fury X a few months back it was silky smooth!

Can someone confirm if freesync appears to be working for them with the newest driver?

https://onedrive.live.com/?authkey=...910&parId=1FBC6472FAE11AC7!1351&action=locate

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/560468-any-software-to-test-freesync/

Also - when I use the blurbusters tests - it doesn't seem smooth. I wouldn't think it would only be my setup. I appreciate someone else testing!

17.9.3 driver installed.

I updated my drivers and firmware on my C32HG70 and my Freesync range went from 80-120 to 120-144 so I'm not sure which one messed it up.

I don't think FreeSync is working properly right now in the newest driver on my liquid cooled Vega. I used the windmill demo to verify and it's super clunkyy.

When I've run this on my Fury X a few months back it was silky smooth!

Can someone confirm if freesync appears to be working for them with the newest driver?

https://onedrive.live.com/?authkey=!AMYZ8qUcfvgOPxQ&cid=1FBC6472FAE11AC7&id=1FBC6472FAE11AC7!1910&parId=1FBC6472FAE11AC7!1351&action=locate

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/560468-any-software-to-test-freesync/

Also - when I use the blurbusters tests - it doesn't seem smooth. I wouldn't think it would only be my setup. I appreciate someone else testing!

17.9.3 driver installed.
In the demo mine only seems to work with vsync on. Freesync by itself doesn't seem to work. Been playing Civ V and BE and freesync wasn't working, no big deal thought it was just those games. Maybe Ill check out others later.

In the demo mine only seems to work with vsync on. Freesync by itself doesn't seem to work. Been playing Civ V and BE and freesync wasn't working, no big deal thought it was just those games. Maybe Ill check out others later.
AMD adds insult to injury...

I wonder why it's working for goodwine? If broken on ours? goodwine what Vega card do you have? Mines clearly broken ATM. it's pitiful. It's dowmright lurching movement in the testing - not one option is smooth on the testing options. I was noticing my games didn't feel quite feel like freesync was working properly so I tested with the windmill demo -- sure enough. If others have it working then I'll reformat as a next step. I'll also ask my buddy with a Fury X to test and see if the newest drivers broke his freesync.

Sapphire Vega 56 here. FreeSync is definitely working for me on the LG 4K monitor with 40-60 fps range.

AMD adds insult to injury...

I wonder why it's working for goodwine? If broken on ours? goodwine what Vega card do you have? Mines clearly broken ATM. it's pitiful. It's dowmright lurching movement in the testing - not one option is smooth on the testing options. I was noticing my games didn't feel quite feel like freesync was working properly so I tested with the windmill demo -- sure enough. If others have it working then I'll reformat as a next step. I'll also ask my buddy with a Fury X to test and see if the newest drivers broke his freesync.

I have not noticed an issue in modded GTA V, nor my replay through Shadow of Mordor. I am playing with a modified FS range. Default was 48-75Hz, whiich I changed via CRU to 45-80Hz. Works fine in the demo as well as the 2 games I mentioned. If I set my lower FS range to 40Hz, then I get blanking in the demo. I just did this as a test since I rarely see below upper 70s in the games I am currently playing.

I have not noticed an issue in modded GTA V, nor my replay through Shadow of Mordor. I am playing with a modified FS range. Default was 48-75Hz, whiich I changed via CRU to 45-80Hz. Works fine in the demo as well as the 2 games I mentioned. If I set my lower FS range to 40Hz, then I get blanking in the demo. I just did this as a test since I rarely see below upper 70s in the games I am currently playing.

Well I can clearly tell freesync is broken on my setup. I was at a LAN party yesterday. I had noticeable frame tearing even though I was in freesync mode on the monitor, in the drivers, and within freesync range. Maybe it's time for s reformat. I've had 1080tis in this machine and I've noted in the past sometimes it's best to reformat after switching GPU companies.

New Vega64 owner here. It was step 1 in a new build that's being pieced together over the next few weeks. Going to do a stupid build, 32g ram + thread ripper 1950x... As for as right now, replaced the 7970 I had on my current build(i7-920+24g Ram) and it is running amazingly. I'm primarily playing BF1, BF4 and Overwatch and it's getting damn good frame rates with the older hardware holding it back. I expect the new build to really open it up...will report back with the overall feel once it's all in!

Freesync is working here as well , LG monitor. Thought it was not at first with AMD's Windmill Demo until I turned off VSync inside of program -> Then it was smooth as silk.

New Vega64 owner here. It was step 1 in a new build that's being pieced together over the next few weeks. Going to do a stupid build, 32g ram + thread ripper 1950x... As for as right now, replaced the 7970 I had on my current build(i7-920+24g Ram) and it is running amazingly. I'm primarily playing BF1, BF4 and Overwatch and it's getting damn good frame rates with the older hardware holding it back. I expect the new build to really open it up...will report back with the overall feel once it's all in!
What all is the rig going to be used for?

1950X might be neat, but I'd shy away from it if gaming is your aim... My Ryzen 7 is usually underutilized in games right now, only a few actually spread the load (and when it does, it's beautiful).

What all is the rig going to be used for?

1950X might be neat, but I'd shy away from it if gaming is your aim... My Ryzen 7 is usually underutilized in games right now, only a few actually spread the load (and when it does, it's beautiful).

Gaming, VM machines, and video encoding. I only get to game a few hours a week anymore unless I get a day off work, but I end up needing to do a fair amount of video ripping and encoding and I don't want to sit here staring at my monitor any longer than I need. Outside of that, I just wanted to do another ridiculous build to be honest. I haven't had the means to do one in some time as my priorities laid elsewhere, now I have the resources and ability to do so. I know a Ryzen7 or even a lower end TR would work fine, but I want to go all out. I checked a few months ago just for shits to see when I got my current rig together... I bought the motherboard and processor almost 11 years ago and the GPU just over 5. I figure if I can get the same kind of longevity out of the thread ripper platform it will likely be worth it for me.

Well, tried flashing to lc bio in an attempt to hit higher clocks/power limits. No luck. Boots to windows but crashes in 3d. Wawawa. Guess I should just be happy with 1600/1100 and 1075 for voltage before I break another vega.

Wow, that sounds like a super sick build! I can't wait to see the finished product. Do you have the Air cooled 64? If so do yourself a favor and slap an EK block on there and go to town! These cards love the super low temperatures custom water offers, and you can really crank the Power Limit while undervolting them and getting some awesome performance. While the 64 doesn't seem to clock as high as most 56s, let alone the better then average 56s, I think those extra shaders will slowly come into play over the next year. Can't wait to see how Wolfenstien 2 and FarCry 5 perform.

Well, tried flashing to lc bio in an attempt to hit higher clocks/power limits. No luck. Boots to windows but crashes in 3d. Wawawa. Guess I should just be happy with 1600/1100 and 1075 for voltage before I break another vega.

Are you using the bios closest to the I/O bracket? We gotta get that fixed for you..Once you get that PL to 75%, you will gain another ~100Mhz on a medicore card, maybe 125-150Mhz if your card clocks like mine!

Are you using the bios closest to the I/O bracket? We gotta get that fixed for you..Once you get that PL to 75%, you will gain another ~100Mhz on a medicore card, maybe 125-150Mhz if your card clocks like mine!

closest to I/o bracket??

I tried a few different bios, msi and two different sapphire lc ones.

ahhh, do you mean the switch? Yes its closest to the io bracket

Last edited:
So since I'm an official Vega owner I wanted to know if flashing the Vega will put more stress on it because I don't wanna kill my card

It will not as long as you are mindful of the temps. I run a 56 flashed to 64 air and it gets me the OC headroom on the HBM of my 64. 56 Vega is a great card even before flashing. Welcome to the owner's club :)

It will not as long as you are mindful of the temps. I run a 56 flashed to 64 air and it gets me the OC headroom on the HBM of my 64. 56 Vega is a great card even before flashing. Welcome to the owner's club :)
Are there any issues with the card being recognized and working correctly? I guess if that became a problem you could always just use the other bios or flash back. But curious if the 64 bios on the 56 ever causes any difficulty because it's expecting more shaders and compute units it doesn't have?? (Possibly crashes or DX errors?)

I have a 1000 watt Antec PSU in my machine and am getting coil whine with my Vega 56. I made sure two independent cables are connecting to the graphics card. The weird thing is there is no whine when I'm gaming, only right after I close a game does it start, and the pitch of the whine changes depending on what my active window is on the desktop (Chrome, Windows Explorer, etc). I'm at state 6 1020 voltage, state 7 1050, 4.5% overclock, HBM 900 MHz, and +50% power. A reboot always fixes it until I exit a game again. I can't remember if it only happens when overclocked, and my temperatures are almost always in the 50s, but much lower after exiting a game.

Is it possible that even with two cables the PSU has shared ports on the same rail or something? I had two 290x in crossfire previously without issue.

I have a 1000 watt Antec PSU in my machine and am getting coil whine with my Vega 56. I made sure two independent cables are connecting to the graphics card. The weird thing is there is no whine when I'm gaming, only right after I close a game does it start, and the pitch of the whine changes depending on what my active window is on the desktop (Chrome, Windows Explorer, etc). I'm at state 6 1020 voltage, state 7 1050, 4.5% overclock, HBM 900 MHz, and +50% power. A reboot always fixes it until I exit a game again. I can't remember if it only happens when overclocked, and my temperatures are almost always in the 50s, but much lower after exiting a game.

Is it possible that even with two cables the PSU has shared ports on the same rail or something? I had two 290x in crossfire previously without issue.

It was a card that wasn't Vega but I had coil whine related to FPS in the hundreds of Hz. So some games loading screens or if I didn't have Vsync on...

It was a card that wasn't Vega but I had coil whine related to FPS in the hundreds of Hz. So some games loading screens or if I didn't have Vsync on...
I think I have frame limit set to 75 FPS. Also just on the windows desktop should vsync be on my default? I'll have to look into that.

Other than this coil whine I'm loving Vega 56 with 1920x. First all AMD PC build in over a decade.

my 280x acted like that. in game no prob but if fps got over 300 like when closing a game or the worst was heaven, it spikes to 2000+ on the exit screen and that card would scream. i set a 200 fps limit in crimson settings and that stopped it.

my 280x acted like that. in game no prob but if fps got over 300 like when closing a game or the worst was heaven, it spikes to 2000+ on the exit screen and that card would scream. i set a 200 fps limit in crimson settings and that stopped it.
haven't had any issues, but never occurred to me to set a higher than in game frame cap. Good idea.

haven't had any issues, but never occurred to me to set a higher than in game frame cap. Good idea.

That is not related to GPU or PSU, that kind of coil whine at hundreds of hz will occur with every kind of GPU even iGPUs will make motherboards to coil whine like a dying pig....it's not an issue, it will always occur so I won't worry, however:

Some PSUs just simply doesn't like certain GPUs and cause Coil whine even idling at desktop, it's just how it is, and again it is brand agnostic it just happen, with certain GPUs and Certain PSUs, solution it's always to replace the PSU to another brand (which it's kind of lame solutio).

I am seriously considering picking up the $499 RX Vega 56 MSI version from Newegg, I believe it has the games. However, I already have a Sapphire R9 Fury Nitro and even with that, I hardly ever really game. It seems to me that it is just the upgrade bug hitting me and not really anything I would benefit much from. What do you guys think? Thanks. (I could probably sell off my R9 Fury for about $250 to recoup some of the cost.) I am also planning on buying a Xbox One X when it is released and would probably use that more often.

I am seriously considering picking up the $499 RX Vega 56 MSI version from Newegg, I believe it has the games. However, I already have a Sapphire R9 Fury Nitro and even with that, I hardly ever really game. It seems to me that it is just the upgrade bug hitting me and not really anything I would benefit much from. What do you guys think? Thanks. (I could probably sell off my R9 Fury for about $250 to recoup some of the cost.) I am also planning on buying a Xbox One X when it is released and would probably use that more often.

I would say no.

It would be a waste of money at $499 to buy a Vega 56. The 1070 ti is out in November and will outperform it at $429 MSRP. Unless you're tied to AMD. I wouldn't do it.

Also, $499 dollars for a Vega 56 is highway robbery. You might as well buy a GTX 1080.

It would be a waste of money at $499 to buy a Vega 56. The 1070 ti is out in November and will outperform it at $429 MSRP. Unless you're tied to AMD. I wouldn't do it.

Also, $499 dollars for a Vega 56 is highway robbery. You might as well buy a GTX 1080.

I am going to save my money. That said, I do not like NVidia hardware for my personal machines, AMD only all the way! :) Thanks for the suggestions everyone.

Edit: I think it is definitely worth $499 with or without the games. However, I am just going to save my money and play on what I have for the time being.

Back