RX 580 and 590 Could Get Price Cuts Soon

AlphaAtlas

[H]ard|Gawd
Staff member
Italian hardware news site Bits and Chips just posted a Tweet suggesting that the RX 580 8GB is expected to get a price cut to $199, while the RX 590 will allegedly drop to $229 "in next weeks." As with all GPU rumors, this has to be taken with a generous helping of salt, but assuming they're talking about U.S. prices, a quick price check shows that the claim isn't particularly far fetched. Street prices for lower-end 8GB 580s are already between $220 and $190, while the 590 is still sitting at around $260.

Rumor: MSRP of RX580 8GB at 199$ and of RX590 at 229$ in next weeks... In Italy RX580 is 220 Euro and Gtx1660ti is 320 Euro.

Dammit. No matter how logical I am with myself, I always get bitchy the first time prices drop after I buy a new video card. Too late, I already bought a GTX 1080 last September.

P.S. I'm such a hypocrite. I've been railing against Intel over the Spectre and Meltdown bugs, but I just bought an i5-9600k to replace my i7-2600k, which was dying because my 6-year-old nephew dumped a glass of orange juice into the top fans during Christmas (and no matter how much I clean it my temps have been through the roof). I was going to buy the parts to build an AMD system, but a friend gave me 16GB of DDR4 that is spec'd for Intel motherboards. So ... meh. I am a lazy American.

P.P.S. It's fast! =D

Dammit. No matter how logical I am with myself, I always get bitchy the first time prices drop after I buy a new video card. Too late, I already bought a GTX 1080 last September.

P.S. I'm such a hypocrite. I've been railing against Intel over the Spectre and Meltdown bugs, but I just bought an i5-9600k to replace my i7-2600k, which was dying because my 6-year-old nephew dumped a glass of orange juice into the top fans during Christmas (and no matter how much I clean it my temps have been through the roof). I was going to buy the parts to build an AMD system, but a friend gave me 16GB of DDR4 that is spec'd for Intel motherboards. So ... meh. I am a lazy American.

P.P.S. It's fast! =D

I don't call any of that lazy. Some people would have just thrown the entire computer in the garbage after the spill. At least you made a salvage attempt. Bottom line is that these are expensive parts in total so regardless of the moral failings of any company some times you just have to buy what is the best bang for the buck.

Considering RX580's have been found for under that price - Newegg currently has 3 models available on sale, I'm not sure this price drop will have much effect. The RX590 going to $229 would be a welcome drop, putting it in a proper price point compared to the new competition.

Probably shouldn't even call this a rumour.
Considering Nvidia's new releases these cards are priced WAY too high.
They just don't compete, and if retailers and AMD want to move them, the price has to come down.
Hopefully it's a real price cut, not a stupid bundle full of games that aren't even finished yet.

Come on Lisa Su it's time to start competing!

Picked up a used RX 580 a couple months ago for $95. Put it in my kids PC, one heck of a bargain at that price point. Obviously used is not new, but there are some great bang for the buck deals out there if you look.

there are so many off-crypto used cards on ebay right now for last generation this barely matters. 1060 6gb around $150-$170, same with 580s. Going above that might as well save more pennies and get the 16060 ti or whatever

$230 is a good price for the RX590. It was necessary considering the GTX 1660 is just around the corner. I am thinking that card will launch at $250.

I'm still good with those prices. I paid $135 each for a pair of RX580 8GB a few months ago, and $225 for a GTX 1070 before that.

Prices are just approaching where this stuff should really be anyways IMO.

there are so many off-crypto used cards on ebay right now for last generation this barely matters. 1060 6gb around $150-$170, same with 580s. Going above that might as well save more pennies and get the 16060 ti or whatever

At least one excellent seller has got one or two more cards at $135. Right here on [H].

I had to do my pc rebuild late last spring during the last peak of crypto-GPU madness, and ended up paying @ $320 at NewEgg for my Sapphire Nitro+ RX580 :/
I knew prices would start to drop in the next month or two...
/sigh

At least the new system is happy/stable enough so that I can maybe even skip Navi and wait for Navi+ or Arcturus later, when the price is right
//still 1080 gaming

They need to almost dump these & lower V56 and 64, and then focus on Navi, and get that out to me medio August, and for Navi to be gooooood and then cash in big time.
And i will be a happy little camper with my all AMD machine.

Navi can't come soon enough.

The only thing Navi will offer at this price point is lower power consumption, so why the wait?

Unlike many older GPU designs from AMD and Nvidia, Polaris driver support will hold strong. Developers are working hard to get the most out of the OneX and Pro, which share similar architecture.

The only thing Navi will offer at this price point is lower power consumption, so why the wait?

Unlike many older GPU designs from AMD and Nvidia, Polaris driver support will hold strong. Developers are working hard to get the most out of the OneX and Pro, which share similar architecture.
Because I want lower power consumption? I also like their OSS driver support on the Linux side.

Because I want lower power consumption? I also like their OSS driver support on the Linux side.

I don't know about the Linux support if Navi in particular, but is power consumption really the only reason so many "can't wait for Navi", at least in the $200-$250 range?

They need to almost dump these & lower V56 and 64, and then focus on Navi, and get that out to me medio August, and for Navi to be gooooood and then cash in big time.
And i will be a happy little camper with my all AMD machine.
It sounds like you're expecting Navi to outperform Polaris. Don't set yourself up for disappointment. I hope I'm wrong, but I don't expect anything more than lower power from Navi.

Does this all matter any more?

Who cares when Navi comes out. When you go to Steam and look at the top games... will you need a new GPU? Most of the top games will do just fine on a cpu with integrated graphics.

I'm thinking we are in the dark ages of PC gaming at the moment. There needs to be a new 'killer app' for PC gaming that will need powerful discrete cards, and cards to warrant the price tag.

Nvidia is going to find itself making an in-house game studio to fully realize the features of their GPU, otherwise if they leave it to game publishers... their goal is just money. These free to play battle royale games are raking in cash from.... hats and other accessories. Hold my beer while I go buy a 2080Ti to see my in-game hat better...

Well sort off, then again not so much, but as you say the lower power + a new architecture was what i hope for.
And i am just at 1080P so "anything" will do,,,,, that be anything at a reasonable price 600 USD or so

My card is a 980Ti. I am not sure if I should switch with how the RTX series have turned out. I just want to game on ultrawide 3440x1440 at stable 60+FPS.
Anyways. This price cut is a must.

Now that, if this rumour is accurate, there's a yawning chasm between the new price of the RX590 and Vega56, how much could AMD realistically drop the price of Vega and still make a small profit, or at least break even?

It sounds like you're expecting Navi to outperform Polaris. Don't set yourself up for disappointment. I hope I'm wrong, but I don't expect anything more than lower power from Navi.

I expect Navi to be Vega without HBM on 7nm, so basically a lower powered vega 56 & vega 64 at price of $299 & $399 probably

I expect Navi to be Vega without HBM on 7nm, so basically a lower powered vega 56 & vega 64 at price of $299 & $399 probably
That would be nice, but I don't think so.
We already got 7nm Vega. If they take away the HBM, power would go up. Hopefully they have some other magic up their sleeves but I don't think it will be much better than Polaris. I feel like it will be more like 1.25x 590, at 125w

Well, that most definitely means I will NOT be selling my Powercolor Red Devil RX 580 ($200 when I bought it) or my XFX RX570 8GB version ($229 when I bought it last September). That said, lots of other folks will benefit and that is a good thing. Also, a heads up, if you by the Powercolor card, adjust the fan curve right away because it is set to run at a noisy speed when it gets hotter and that is not needed.

This is good news, my friend is in the process of building up a budget gaming PC for his retired dad who is having difficulties coping with not having anything to do and trying to get him into some light gaming. If this gets better than a $20 drop then it is a clear choice for his build.

P.P.S. It's fast! =D
Spec’d for intel? Lol. It’d be fine in a AMD system I’m sure.

Back