RX 570/580 for 2k Gaming?

Lumpus

Limp Gawd
Hoping AMD drops some new GPU's on us late this summer, but I sort of need something soon-ish to replace a GTX 960. It's still working fine, but it's now absolutely the weakest link in my new system.

I think (not 100% sure) that the 570 handles 2k just fine - but unfortunately it's selling for nearly 580 prices!
What's an 'acceptable' short term solution to look for (cheap-ish)?

/not nVidia (due to GPP)
//not many good options right now... I know :(

handle? yes, they might handle if you are fine with playing at medium settings to keep FPS in an acceptable range.. the boost in performance isn't anything great over your gtx 960, RX 580 it's about GTX 1060 performance which at the same time are in the ballpark of the GTX 970.. so nothing great to expect there, if you are honest with your expectatives then yes, I guess it will handle 2k just fine.

The reason for me would be 8Gb which seems to make the 390/390x a sweet ass card at the right price back then .

What are the prices for a used Fury/FuryX/Fury Nano?

Since you specified non-nVidia that precludes the Founders Edition cards which at least are available (when in stock) at MSRP from nVidia's store.

What are the prices for a used Fury/FuryX/Fury Nano?

Since you specified non-nVidia that precludes the Founders Edition cards which at least are available (when in stock) at MSRP from nVidia's store.

The prices have bottomed out on Ebay over the last few weeks for a used Fury X card since MSRP is back for the retail products.

Fury X handles most 1440p with ease.

It’s 25% faster than a RX580 on most stuff.

Hmmm... the Fury looks like a good option.
eBay prices, that I could see, still looked very inflated.
None new for sale (any maker) on NewEgg :/

This is just sad...

/suggests for budget gaming I buy a GTX 960... which is what I have

Last edited:
Similar boat here, but to use the Freesync monitor I have. $$$ to make a relative performance sidegrade to Polaris from my fairly oc'able 970. 500 beans for a Vega56 is a little overkill for 1080p IMHO.

Looked at some reviews and damn those Furies are thirsty.

This is (still) the worst possible time to be buying a GPU
/more waiting

I mean, the RX 580 will play DOOM at 1440p (QHD) ultra settings at over 70 FPS, so I don't see where this "Not good enough for QHD" idea comes from. You may have to lower AA settings or play on 'high' instead of 'ultra' but honestly, that's not that big of a deal....

I mean, the RX 580 will play DOOM at 1440p (QHD) ultra settings at over 70 FPS, so I don't see where this "Not good enough for QHD" idea comes from. You may have to lower AA settings or play on 'high' instead of 'ultra' but honestly, that's not that big of a deal....

And the fact that you can get a brand new 8GB model for $279 + a 20 dollar steam credit right now at Newegg is a no brainer. I've been happy with mine at 1440p running freesync. Played Far Cry 5 very well.

I still think I’d pick a Fury X or a 980Ti used over an rx580 for a 1440p gaming card. On the graphics card hierarchy the Fury X and 980Ti are two tiers higher than the RX580. 2 tiers is the chart’s demarcation point for a clearly noticeable user gaming experience increase.

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gpu-hierarchy,4388.html

Here’s how they matched up 2 years after release in December 2017. And as evidenced by this set of Benchmarks you are definitely going to be turning settings down at 1440p with a RX580 because it significantly slower than either of these two cards. The RX580 is about the equivalent of a GTX970. Both RX580 and GTX970, in my opinion, are beyond great for 1080p, but starting to struggle at 1440.

Last edited:
OP are you planning on using Gsync or Freesync? Gysnc is going to run you anywhere from 400-1000 dollars or double of what freesync costs depending on the size of the monitor. I think anyone who is looking to get a new video card should factor in display technology at this point.

This is (still) the worst possible time to be buying a GPU
/more waiting
It's only slightly better than a few months ago. I think the best argument for even a nominal upgrade from your 2GB 960 to a 4GB card is worthwhile as modern titles will push that VRAM limit at 1080p. I haven't hit a ton of bottlenecks with my "3.5GB" 970 at 1080p but at 1440 the 'high texture packs' seem to prefer 8GB, even the 4GB Fury (going by the Fallout 4 HD review at [H]).

OP are you planning on using Gsync or Freesync? Gysnc is going to run you anywhere from 400-1000 dollars or double of what freesync costs depending on the size of the monitor. I think anyone who is looking to get a new video card should factor in display technology at this point.

Long-term - Freesync. My current Samsung maxes at 1920x1080, but it's crisp . I'm just considering any card I get this year as a stopgap to new 7mm Navi in 2019/2020... would replace the monitor then.

Long-term - Freesync. My current Samsung maxes at 1920x1080, but it's crisp . I'm just considering any card I get this year as a stopgap to new 7mm Navi in 2019/2020... would replace the monitor then.

Then the RX 580 8GB that's on sale at newegg for $279 would do you fine. Or you could always find a used 980ti.

Isn't 2k 2048x1080? Or just above 1080p.

But anyways, the RX 470 through RX 580 are fine at 1440p60hz. 1440p144hz+ is much harder on a GPU than say 4k60.

Isn't 2k 2048x1080? Or just above 1080p.

But anyways, the RX 470 through RX 580 are fine at 1440p60hz. 1440p144hz+ is much harder on a GPU than say 4k60.

I hate the term "2K". 2K is 1080p, technically.

Use the terms as such:

FHD = 1080p

QHD = 1440p

UHD = 2160p

I hate the term "2K". 2K is 1080p, technically.

Use the terms as such:

FHD = 1080p

QHD = 1440p

UHD = 2160p
I think all the terms are pointless and everyone should just use the actual resolution. Even with the terms you have listed there is still confusion because where does an ultra wide fit into that.

The 580 is basically the same thing as my trusty 290x which is plenty for any game so far for 60 Hz at 1080. At 1440 you should still be fine but you may have to turn down some settings on the more demanding games to keep your frame rates up around 60. The 570 would struggle at 1440. It wouldn't be unplayable but you'd be better off with a 580 as that would be a better match for 1440....actually I'd kinda consider it the minimum for high settings and ~60+ FPS.

I think all the terms are pointless and everyone should just use the actual resolution. Even with the terms you have listed there is still confusion because where does an ultra wide fit into that.

I kind of agree on that, but I'm more concerned with people using the wrong label for various resolutions. Writing out the whole resolution is a bit of a pain, so quick labels make sense.

Back