RX 550 fan isn't stopping at idle

ZodaEX

Supreme [H]ardness
On my secondary Linux PC, my AMD RX 550 GPU fan isn't stopping when my PC is idle in Linux Mint. However it does if I boot into Windows 7. Does Anyone know how to fix this issue?

On my secondary Linux PC, my AMD RX 550 GPU fan isn't stopping when my PC is idle in Linux Mint. However it does if I boot into Windows 7. Does Anyone know how to fix this issue?
The GPU may not be going into it's lowest power state at idle. That could be a driver limitation, due to load from the desktop environment, or because the wrong driver is loaded.

iirc, the correct kernel modesetting driver should be amdgpu, I believe you can check to see if that driver is loaded by running lspci with some specific flags.

If it is, then next I would check the amdgpu documentation to see if power management is fully supported on the version you have.

You could also reduce desktop effects/detail to see if that at least resolves the problem for the moment.

Oh, also, what is the monitor refresh rate and resolution? If it's high (4k, >60hz, for example) the card might have to enter a higher power state even with low graphical detail and effects in the desktop environment.

Edit: For options to control the fan speed, regardless of the reason it is higher, see this wiki page: https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/fan_speed_control#AMDGPU_sysfs_fan_control

Dunno if those services are available on mint, but should get you pointed in the right direction, anyway.

Oh, also, what is the monitor refresh rate and resolution? If it's high (4k, >60hz, for example) the card might have to enter a higher power state even with low graphical detail and effects in the desktop environment.

Edit: For options to control the fan speed, regardless of the reason it is higher, see this wiki page: https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/fan_speed_control#AMDGPU_sysfs_fan_control

Dunno if those services are available on mint, but should get you pointed in the right direction, anyway.

1440p, 165 hertz

Last edited:
Look into the CoreCtrl project. It's an open source GUI for controlling AMD GPU's on linux. Allows for overclocking and fan control, including off at idle. Just make sure you do the system setup steps. CoreCtrl by default can do a lot, but a few tweaks to GRUB and polkit really let it spread its wings. Hope this helps.

Back