RX 480 is apparently killing pcie slots

Turn on the CC/subtitles

Had a quick glimpse but it looks like they raised power limit to 150% or am I missing something? see at 4:32 for example : "PL 150%"
Also they say 1300mhz, is that the average clock (then that's stock) or base clock? Because that would mean overclocked then, no?

That all does not change the fact that the ref rx 480 has a serious design flaw though (and should really NOT be overclocked).

So the kinds of boards a mainstream product targeted at the masses would have, right?

Not after it fries, then they can upgrade to a better board.

But seriously, it's not gonna fry my board, it's not gonna fry your board. It might fry some other guy's board and then it's his problem.

Had a quick glimpse but it looks like they raised power limit to 150% or am I missing something? see at 4:32 for example : "PL 150%"
Also they say 1300mhz, is that the average clock (then that's stock) or base clock? Because that would mean overclocked then, no?

That all does not change the fact that the ref rx 480 has a serious design flaw though (and should really NOT be overclocked).

Gotta ask him, I think he just started posting here too.

Correlation != Causation

I've found that people who spout this so quickly are ones that are in denial.

I'm not saying this is actually a thing that is happening, but its amazing this was posted so quickly.

I'm sure this is a common occurrence

/rolls eyes

I swear, the fear/uncertainty/doubt is kicked into overdrive now. You all claim to not be paid, but you should be, this is a lot of time doing nothing but spreading every negative news story to convince as many people as possible to not buy this amd card. I don't actually know if this is some common problem with the card, but I do know if there is any negative news story relating to this card from any corner of the internet, ledra will be sure to be the one posting it, with razor right behind to pile on.

If there is an issue, I'm sure they can push a bios update to fix the issue, and compensate the infinitesimal number of people where this actually killed a system with a newer/better one.

Hey! I know english isn't your first language, but this is a little hard to understand!

StereoBro pointed out that the clamp ammeter is not very accurate, you should check it is accurate by measuring a constant current load in range of what you are measuring on the rails

So if 12V rail is 10A, use a current 10A source and check the reading

What do you mean by power request and signal from the tool?

You checked ripple on the oscilloscope and compared with voltage variation you measured on the multimeter yes ?

No mate.
The ripple is not regarding the power draw... separate things
Unwanted issue that happen, and our public knows because they knows our psu tests.
Will try to explain.
To measure with oscilloscope will bring close information, and we compared, but if you understood portuguese, we just talk the milivolts range to a ripple...
But here, the public is not too experienced like Germany, USA or Japan... if we show oscilloscope to explain the "power draw" (main reason), too many people simply will leave the video, because will think is complex.
So we created that simply tool.
Explained that power W = current A x Voltage V... and explained there are 3 ways...
12v pciex
3,3v pciex
12v psu cable.

Then every single guy, not only will understand the issue, but also wake up to learn more about.

Regarding the tool, we have explained that the signal is not perfect like to be directed to pciex slot, for sure...
New way to bench

We know from a long time...
Also the power draw will change a bit...

But we are not looking for highest precision like calibration procedures,... we are not talking if is 126,2W or 126,1W... but if the accuracy from 75 to 80, or worst 81...82 @@...
But for this level of violation, will be not 2 or 3%, but we are talking about 68% above limit, and we have explained even in our live streams.

We have lots of work regarding our own Power Surge we are doing together APC in Brazil, and also need to test and show all Galax 1070 and 1080 models.... but in few days will post difference and precision with properly pair of oscilloscopes.

Best wishes

PowerColor-RX-480-DEVIL.jpg

Quite literally

/rolls eyes

I swear, the fear/uncertainty/doubt is kicked into overdrive now. You all claim to not be paid, but you should be, this is a lot of time doing nothing but spreading every negative news story to convince as many people as possible to not buy this amd card. I don't actually know if this is some common problem with the card, but I do know if there is any negative news story relating to this card from any corner of the internet, ledra will be sure to be the one posting it, with razor right behind to pile on.

If there is an issue, I'm sure they can push a bios update to fix the issue, and compensate the infinitesimal number of people where this actually killed a system with a newer/better one.

>_>

Yes. Blame Ieldra. The one man army who is taking on AMD.

If there are any negative NEWS stories about this card, you can be sure AMD is actually the cause of them.

This has been reported on retail boards, purchased in two separate countries, as well as several review boards.

No mate.
The ripple is not regarding the power draw... separate things
Unwanted issue that happen, and our public knows because they knows our psu tests.
Will try to explain.
To measure with oscilloscope will bring close information, and we compared, but if you understood portuguese, we just talk the milivolts range to a ripple...
But here, the public is not too experienced like Germany, USA or Japan... if we show oscilloscope to explain the "power draw" (main reason), too many people simply will leave the video, because will think is complex.
So we created that simply tool.
Explained that power W = current A x Voltage V... and explained there are 3 ways...
12v pciex
3,3v pciex
12v psu cable.

Then every single guy, not only will understand the issue, but also wake up to learn more about.

Regarding the tool, we have explained that the signal is not perfect like to be directed to pciex slot, for sure...
New way to bench

We know from a long time...
Also the power draw will change a bit...

But we are not looking for highest precision like calibration procedures,... we are not talking if is 126,2W or 126,1W... but if the accuracy from 75 to 80, or worst 81...82 @@...
But for this level of violation, will be not 2 or 3%, but we are talking about 68% above limit, and we have explained even in our live streams.

We have lots of work regarding our own Power Surge we are doing together APC in Brazil, and also need to test and show all Galax 1070 and 1080 models.... but in few days will post difference and precision with properly pair of oscilloscopes.

Best wishes

Ah cool so you took the possible calibration errors into account

This was done with stock clocks?

They better save what face they have left and offer a recall with full paid shipping. It's clear that any sort of overclock must be disabled. Without a doubt changing any of the settings is extremely risky and hazardous beyond what is reasonable.

The only minor tidbit I'm worried about is how close that 3.3V line was to the ammeter as it will affect fields. ( But not near enough to save the RX480 from being out of spec)

When you need the best engineering possible bar none, leave it to the Germans.
When you need the best quality component sourcing leave it to the Japanese.

Last edited by a moderator:

/rolls eyes

There was a number of people complaining that the Asus Strix 1080 OC Edition was causing a high number of RMA's due to high clock speeds. Asus said "nah bro, it's all good" and HardOCP inhaled a sigh of relief. Now we hear unconfirmed rumors of RX 480's bricking motherboards and RED ALERT. Hide your kids, hide your wives.

/rolls eyes

Sorry... You can spit-polish a turd, it's still a turd. AMD released something that is causing damage to motherboards, and now at least 2 sites have shown that the PCI-E draw on the card is out of specification. Don't blame Ieldra and Razor1 for AMD screwing up.

Last edited:
From PC perspective

"When we zoom in we find that the motherboard is actually providing more than 95 watts of power over the +12V line and maintains the 5 watts from the +3.3V line, proving that we are indeed getting more than 100 watts through a PCIe connection that is only rated at 75 watts. The 6-pin PCIe power cable is almost crossing that 100 watt barrier too".

Fried PCIE

For everyone that owns these cards lay off running Firestrike Ultra lol

So I see 3, maybe 4 people claiming problems between your links. I'm not saying your wrong. I'm saying it's far from conclusive at this point.

You think AMD will privy us to the RMA numbers after 12 months? We will never see the whole picture.

Ah cool so you took the possible calibration errors into account

This was done with stock clocks?
Yes Sir.
We have just move the power limit to 50% and fan 100% (hehehe... just change power request... a power super duper turbine)

Ronaldo

You think AMD will privy us to the RMA numbers after 12 months? We will never see the whole picture. So people shouting down damage reports and claims are only giving their opinions.

And that's all you're doing as nothing is confirmed yet. Welcome to the wonderful world of pot talking to kettle.

>_>

Yes. Blame Ieldra. The one man army who is taking on AMD.

If there are any negative NEWS stories about this card, you can be sure AMD is actually the cause of them.

This has been reported on retail boards, purchased in two separate countries, as well as several review boards.

I never said you were the cause of any negative news stories, but you are a self styled megaphone, your personal hobby is to spend large chunks of your spare time in life, finding any negative angle towards amd, and shouting it from the rooftops. That was the only point. This is separate and aside from any real issues here. To the extent this is an issue, I'm sure it will be addressed, just like previous issues where some driver update was causing bricked cards to occur. It's never good, but it will be solved. The one certainty we know in all of this though, is if it's something that shits on AMD, you will be the one acting as the cheerleader for the information, over and above any other brand you favor.

Had the same thing happened with the 1070, I do not believe you'd be so exercised and interested in spending so much of your time getting the word out. Maybe someone can point to an equivalent example? I doubt there is one.

I never said you were the cause of any negative news stories, but you are a self styled megaphone, your personal hobby is to spend large chunks of your spare time in life, finding any negative angle towards amd, and shouting it from the rooftops. That was the only point. This is separate and aside from any real issues here. To the extent this is an issue, I'm sure it will be addressed, just like previous issues where some driver update was causing bricked cards to occur. It's never good, but it will be solved. The one certainty we know in all of this though, is if it's something that shits on AMD, you will be the one acting as the cheerleader for the information, over and above any other brand you favor.

Had the same thing happened with the 1070, I do not believe you'd be so exercised and interested in spending so much of your time getting the word out. Maybe someone can point to an equivalent example? I doubt there is one.

Well point me to an example of nvidia products producing similar problems and I'll start shouting all you want ; )

The argument " you only do this for AMD" is valid only when I have equal opportunity to call out nvidia rofl, I'm sure nobody here remembers my criticizing NV for the 2114mhz demo

I've found that people who spout this so quickly are ones that are in denial.

I'm not saying this is actually a thing that is happening, but its amazing this was posted so quickly.
Yes, I'm clearly in denial to suggest the AMD witch hunt is getting a tad out of hand because 3 or 4 people have less functional hardware after putting RX 480 cards in their motherboards. :rolleyes: I'm not on team red or team green. I don't even game. The only intensive thing I do with my graphics cards is madVR. It's virtually impossible for me to be in denial as that would require I have some sort of vested interest which I most certainly don't. I had been considering a RX 480 for my HTPC, and a 1070 for the desktop PC. Right now I'm in a holding pattern. Not because of all the scary reports, but because I'm waiting for AIB boards for the RX 480 and sane pricing levels for AIB 1070 boards.

There is a giant hype cycle going on here that is feeding off itself. Just like the AMD fanboys drove the rumor hype cycle to create unrealistic expectations before the card was released it looks like every blog that messes with PC hardware is in a rush to advance the story with even grander claims and measurements than the prior ones. We're seeing bigger and bigger current draw / power numbers as more people have tested it. Now we've moved onto claims of damaged hardware.

Maybe it's all legit. Maybe it's not. But frankly this seems like the PC hardware version of the absolutely terrible drive-by reporting just after hurricane Katrina where reporting included stories about numerous dead bodies and rape squads in the Superdome and the people shooting at rescuers. None of which turned out to be true.

Everyone needs to take a step back, take a deep breath, and relax.

/rolls eyes

They could fix it with a bios update.
But it would have to reduce clock speeds (and voltage) below spec.
Thats the only way this can be fixed without moving to an 8 pin power connector.

Or heavily bin the chips so only the few % that are low enough power use go into the 480.
But there is no realistic fix for cards already in the channel that purchasers would be happy with..

And that's all you're doing as nothing is confirmed yet. Welcome to the wonderful world of pot talking to kettle.

Who will do the confirmation? AMD? The users? The reviewers?
Confirmation is not going to come from AMD, so the debate on this topic will continue.

But the continued lost of AMDs market share will give the referendum against Polaris.

Yes, I'm clearly in denial to suggest the AMD witch hunt is getting a tad out of hand because 3 or 4 people have less functional hardware after putting RX 480 cards in their motherboards. :rolleyes: I'm not on team red or team green. I don't even game. The only intensive thing I do with my graphics cards is madVR. It's virtually impossible for me to be in denial as that would require I have some sort of vested interest which I most certainly don't.

Everyone needs to take a step back, take a deep breath, and relax.

Given the number of reports, if I were AMD I would halt all card sales. And if reproduce able even on a small batch, offer a full warranty paid return for an 8 pin extension or refund.

But you are right, we should sit and be quiet until AMD forms a proper reply.

I'm giving them 6 days. After that I'm recommending if you own AMD stock to run away. It will show AMD does not want make counter claims. If that is the case, lawyers will smell blood.

lol It's very clear some people ONLY post when its in a negative light regarding AMD......Were talking 100% of that persons posting history..lol..its all good..It just appears either a person has an obsession or is getting paid.

Who will do the confirmation? AMD? The users? The reviewers?ng
Confirmation is not going to come from AMD, so the debate on this topic will continue.

But the continued lost of AMDs market share will give the referendum against Polaris.

I'm pretty sure they are well aware of what's going on. Times have changed since the Nvidia chipgate fiasco since even regular users have much better equipment and tools to pick up on these issues. Hech the explosion of social media alone has put a spotlight on everything done in the tech world now days.

lol It's very clear some people ONLY post when its in a negative light regarding AMD......Were talking 100% of a persons posting history..lol
I own a 7970. I owned a Athlon X2, 9800 Pro, 8500, Athlon 133

Given the number of reports, if I were AMD I would halt all card sales. And if reproduce able even on a small batch, offer a full warranty paid return for an 8 pin extension or refund.

But you are right, we should sit and be quiet until AMD forms a proper reply.

I'm giving them 6 days. After that I'm recommending if you own AMD stock to run away. It will show AMD does not want make counter claims. If that is the case, lawyers will smell blood.

If that Rampage owner with 3x480s gets denied the RMA, prepare for a shitstorm.

Gods honest truth i wasn't referring to you personally but your replay encouraged me to view your posting history - Holy shit LOL. Its clear some people are here for ONE reason ONLY!:woot:

someone tell me what software to run to blow up my computer. Ill remote in from my office install it, and blow it up... Will furmark do fine? ill run that shit for the next 7 hours. Im so happy with my 480's i just bought 2 more to crossfire my wifes PC

AMD needs to down clock the card ASAP.. Otherwise more casualties will really corrode into AMD's reputation which is already fairly tarnished.

They have a habit of doing last minute clock and voltage adjustments to match the competition, for eg 290/290X bring clocked to the hilt.

Too bad they only put in a 6 pin connector and shot themselves in the arm this time around.

Well what may happen is you will loose PowerTune adjustments, also the new OC utility in the driver. AMD will go Nvidia route with pure outside utilities. Why? Liability, which Nvidia pushes onto the user totally. While AMD just warns you that you will be exceeding design parameters. AMD mistake is walking that line too tight with no design margin for power. It really needed to be a 8 pin connector pure and simple for the settings they have.

Here we have a video testing a 150w rated card and telling the card it's power limit is 50% above 150w by using PowerTune. That is a choice by the user with a warning. So one wonders why you start having longer and higher spikes, going over specs, well that is what was adjusted. Nvidia 1080 limits power to 120% which will always be below 225w, now why they do something else with the 1070 I can only conclude to limit it's true OC potential keeping it away from the 1080. Anyways by design and driver software you can really exceed specifications.

So is that what people want? kill the options in the driver? Great job folks, you will most likely get it.

Last edited:
Back