RX 480 is apparently killing pcie slots

you know the issues he was having is probably not new by any means in regards to old cheap amd boards lol....I wouldn't touch one of those ultra cheaply made boards even with nvidia cards.

Yet the 980Ti had no issues on the ultra cheaply made boards? Obviously an issue with the board.

Turn on the CC/subtitles

Wow.

you know the issues he was having is probably not new by any means in regards to old cheap amd boards lol....I wouldn't touch one of those ultra cheaply made boards even with nvidia cards.
Yeah but when you market a $200 video card you should expect them to be used in cheap motherboards.

His conclusion? Don't run the 480 on an old/cheap mobo. Sounds reasonable (y)
For [H] readers its mostly common sense.....power supply and Motherboard are 2 most important parts to a build lol...cheap out on either is a bad idea

I can gaurantee Nvidia has caused into the millions more over spec problems as well as massive failure over the years from poor spec components, pushing parts beyond what they are capable of, bad/poorly tested drivers and so forth, they also have many times went far beyond spec loading 1 "rail" more then others, but you know what that is ok, AMD is quite often the fall boy for what they do, but N comes shining as gold no matter how hard they shaft everyone and everything, go figure.

Folks need keep in mind AMD has stated they are looking into it and have team dedicated to figuring out why this is, they believe it is isolated incidents, and IMO considering the fancy parts they use to regulate power etc, it might be too "new" and take a driver patch to sort out, as they voltage regulator etc is PER CU not just entire board, so am sure that maybe it just not "tuned" properly, as if the card turly is a hard limit of 150w and draws more then that, maybe the part regulating that is not doing it hard enough or something.

I can gaurantee Nvidia has caused into the millions more over spec problems as well as massive failure over the years from poor spec components, pushing parts beyond what they are capable of, bad/poorly tested drivers and so forth, they also have many times went far beyond spec loading 1 "rail" more then others, but you know what that is ok, AMD is quite often the fall boy for what they do, but N comes shining as gold no matter how hard they shaft everyone and everything, go figure.

Folks need keep in mind AMD has stated they are looking into it and have team dedicated to figuring out why this is, they believe it is isolated incidents, and IMO considering the fancy parts they use to regulate power etc, it might be too "new" and take a driver patch to sort out, as they voltage regulator etc is PER CU not just entire board, so am sure that maybe it just not "tuned" properly, as if the card turly is a hard limit of 150w and draws more then that, maybe the part regulating that is not doing it hard enough or something.
source ?

Yeah they are looking into it in the mean time people are buying these cards, and not knowing what kind of things will happen.

Too many if, and, buts about that man, they need to do this quickly if people around the world can figure out what is going on and its happening with random samples, AMD should be able to figure this problem out quickly, they made the damn board, the longer they wait and more mud gets slung at their face, I fully expected to see a response this morning because of the seriousness of the issue and what it could do to sales of the rx 480.

His conclusion? Don't run the 480 on an old/cheap mobo. Sounds reasonable (y)

So who's the RX480 for, then? Reasonable, lol. Even the 980Ti works with it.

Source for your NV accusations? Please guarantee what you're saying.

I don't think the root cause of the problem is that exotic. I think the RX 480 was developed as a sub-GHz chip, but AMD at the proverbial last minute wanted to go over a GHz because they thought it wouldn't sell in this day and age with "MHz" in the specs. It was too late in the game to redesign the card to deal with the increased power draw of the higher clock speed, so they pushed it out the door to keep up with NVIDIA with no regards to the implications it would have on real systems in the wild. They probably took a calculated risk, believing that they were close enough to the spec that it wouldn't be an issue.

I don't think the root cause of the problem is that exotic. I think the RX 480 was developed as a sub-GHz chip, but AMD at the proverbial last minute wanted to go over a GHz because they thought it wouldn't sell in this day and age with "MHz" in the specs. It was too late in the game to redesign the card to deal with the increased power draw of the higher clock speed, so they pushed it out the door to keep up with NVIDIA with no regards to the implications it would have on real systems in the wild. They probably took a calculated risk, believing that they were close enough to the spec that it wouldn't be an issue.
i think your 100% correct. Your analyse corresponds perfectly with kyles thoughts from the get go......they rolled the dice. In hind site its was a bad call......there best hope is to get those beefier cards out soon lol:)

Turn on the CC/subtitles

I'm not saying their results are wrong, but clamp on current meters, especially the large jaw ones, are not exactly precision instruments. They're generally pretty inaccurate. Good ones are thousands of dollars and have a fairly complicated pre-usage zero'ing process. In any case, you really need to check them with a precision constant current source set at a similar current level to confirm their accuracy.

Wow, if this is true, AMD has a major problem on their hands.

It's one thing for their product to be faulty, and fail, due to a design or implementation flaw like bumpgate. It's another thing entirely for their product to damage the rest of the user's computer.

Sigh..this sucks. I was hoping to pick up a 1060 for a decent price. Now nVidia won't be able to keep it in stock and will raise the price. There WILL be class action lawsuit over this. This is a lawyers wet dream...blatant spec violation.

Yeah but when you market a $200 video card you should expect them to be used in cheap motherboards.
I am wondering why so many think that people buying $200 GPU also buy cheap mobos. Also it does not mean these people do not do research and/or do not get advice from educated friends/relatives. You can find plenty quality mobos in $100-$150 range. And it is common wisdom not to skimp on motherboard quality (and PSU), especially as it can last you through several GPU generations at this time. Sure, risk is higher, but …

Anyway, I see this as huge AMD er… actually RTG fuckup of otherwise well-received launch. Way to improve brand recognition, guys. If RTG does not fix it in whatever way is required, they might just close the shop now. No one would wait for Vega.

The same kind of people that buy mid-range AMD GPUs are the type that buy cheap-ass power supplies and cheap-ass motherboards, because in their mind, these components don't really contribute to the performance of the system. So it makes sense that the first GPU they buy that pushes those components a little harder causes bad things to happen.

You just brought back those great memories of my college HP DV9000... used to use a heat gun to reflow the solder on the Nvidia 7600 GPU every few months. Total garbage...

friend had macbook with this issue i believe

"Bumpgate" alone probably ruined more people systems then the number of people who will ever own an RX 480 much less have a problem from it.
The NVIDIA class action settlement bait-and-switch - PointOfLaw Forum
I have one of those affected laptops. Lines on the screen. I should make a post on reddit...

Assuming you are talking about this.
Summarizing the Nvidia problems with laptop chips overheating

And they were sued and they settled, that is what happens, AMD can get in front of this and fix the problem well before they get sued. Do you guys want AMD to get sued?

What the hell was with the crying baby?? Honestly I didn't think that much of it either. What are 'cheaply' made boards? Please name a few, are we talking lie biostar or asrock?

I mean, not every motherboard has to be made by ASUS.

What the hell was with the crying baby?? Honestly I didn't think that much of it either. What are 'cheaply' made boards? Please name a few, are we talking lie biostar or asrock?

I mean, not every motherboard has to be made by ASUS.

All motherboard manufacturers have low end motherboards, so doesn't matter which IHV the motherboard comes from, they will have "cheapo" components in their low lines.
OEM's tend not to use the best of the best when they make mid level systems too, so things they have to watch out for, of course if they even pass testing with such a card.

Even with a decent motherboard, a bad connection could cause a burnout and a long gaming session could create enough heat to do the same with good connections.
Its a fire risk for those that leave PCs working hard unattended like miners or F@H.

Even with a decent motherboard, a bad connection could cause a burnout and a long gaming session could create enough heat to do the same with good connections.
Its a fire risk for those that leave PCs working hard unattended like miners or F@H.
I wish some of these people would post pictures of the slots that stopped working. At least some of them should have some kind of visual indications of being overloaded?

69188151.jpg

Sorry I couldn't resist. :)

If this is not fixable by a BIOS update however... they'll have to do a Schwarzenegger.

You are right.
As we have explained, we used our owm tool after to compare to oscilloscope measures, and check the difference is not significant enough.
The reason is to make easier understanding to the public, clear to know.
Also we have explained different power request and signal from the tool, is also non significant to justify 50W+ with no overclocking.
Note that we made alive... in a 5 hours live stream (we usually test psu, fps, Overclocking, hardmoddind, etc in live stream).
Not intended to harm AMD, but just share important finding.

Best Regards
Ronaldo
TecLab

I wish some of these people would post pictures of the slots that stopped working. At least some of them should have some kind of visual indications of being overloaded?

You're not likely to see anything on the slot itself. It's probably traces on the motherboard that get fried, and that can happen anywhere between the 24-pin connector and the slot.

You're not likely to see anything on the slot itself. It's probably traces on the motherboard that get fried, and that can happen anywhere between the 24-pin connector and the slot.

I'd have to agree, most of the time there won't be anything visible.

SELL YOUR AMD STOCK NOW AND BUY SQUARE TRADE WHILE YOU CAN!

well the term AMD on fire has really come to life in this thread

in all due fairness to the testers they are using top of the line multi meters "i own one" and they have 3 flagship model multi meters with a expensive oscilloscope.

it is no wonder they went with 6 pin connector because 8 pin would give you the power of a GTX 1080 for 24 hours until everyone's board would go down in flames.

btn_viewall.gif" style="border:none;" alt="CSIG1001&
Radeon-RX480-feature-672x372.jpg

Last edited:
im using 2 in crossfire @ 1440p on a asrock 970 pro fatality mobo with a over clocked 8320 @ 4.4ghz for a day so far and no issues. slight OC on cards as well..

You are right.
As we have explained, we used our owm tool after to compare to oscilloscope measures, and check the difference is not significant enough.
The reason is to make easier understanding to the public, clear to know.
Also we have explained different power request and signal from the tool, is also non significant to justify 50W+ with no overclocking.
Note that we made alive... in a 5 hours live stream (we usually test psu, fps, Overclocking, hardmoddind, etc in live stream).
Not intended to harm AMD, but just share important finding.

Best Regards
Ronaldo
TecLab

Hey! I know english isn't your first language, but this is a little hard to understand!

StereoBro pointed out that the clamp ammeter is not very accurate, you should check it is accurate by measuring a constant current load in range of what you are measuring on the rails

So if 12V rail is 10A, use a current 10A source and check the reading

What do you mean by power request and signal from the tool?

You checked ripple on the oscilloscope and compared with voltage variation you measured on the multimeter yes ?

im using 2 in crossfire @ 1440p on a asrock 970 pro fatality mobo with a over clocked 8320 @ 4.4ghz for a day so far and no issues. slight OC on cards as well..

Well... Keep us updated :p

Back