RX 470 4gb For 150 Bucks: To Good To Be True?

So I recently bought a seller refurbished RX 470 on EBAY for 150 bucks. It was going for 300, but the seller had a "or best offer" option, so I decided to put a best offer of "150" which in my mind I would only buy such a card around original MSRP or maybe a tad more.

Now my worry is that since it is "seller refurbished" or any used card for that matter, it might be temporarily fixed with the "reballing" or "reflow" method. I really was surprised that I got the card for so cheap I was expecting to haggle a bit after the initial offer. I am hoping the repair was something like capacitors or new thermal paste, but I am a tad worried.

How common do you think reflow/reballing is on EBAY? I will receive my card in a few days and will report back after some stress testing, but as some of you may already know, reballing can last just long enough for the return period to expire.

So what is the most likely scenario?

1. receive the card, works great and has normal life expectancy.
2. was reballed and will die on me in a matter of months or sooner. If lucky, will last one year.
3. seller will work his way out of the deal, maybe it was a mistake to accept low price.
4. artifacts, overheats, works sub-optimally.

The seller has over 1000 transactions and a 97 percent rating. What do you all think?

So I recently bought a seller refurbished RX 470 on EBAY for 150 bucks. It was going for 300, but the seller had a "or best offer" option, so I decided to put a best offer of "150" which in my mind I would only buy such a card around original MSRP or maybe a tad more.

Now my worry is that since it is "seller refurbished" or any used card for that matter, it might be temporarily fixed with the "reballing" or "reflow" method. I really was surprised that I got the card for so cheap I was expecting to haggle a bit after the initial offer. I am hoping the repair was something like capacitors or new thermal paste, but I am a tad worried.

How common do you think reflow/reballing is on EBAY? I will receive my card in a few days and will report back after some stress testing, but as some of you may already know, reballing can last just long enough for the return period to expire.

So what is the most likely scenario?

1. receive the card, works great and has normal life expectancy.
2. was reballed and will die on me in a matter of months or sooner. If lucky, will last one year.
3. seller will work his way out of the deal, maybe it was a mistake to accept low price.
4. artifacts, overheats, works sub-optimally.

The seller has over 1000 transactions and a 97 percent rating. What do you all think?

If it was mined on, from my experience buying mined on cards, my bet would be #4.

But I'm really hoping it's #1 for you and you got a good deal

Hmm you wouldn't really know until you received the card and run stress test, but if you pay with paypal, they are generally pretty good about siding with the buyer than seller if there are any issues you cannot resolve with the seller. Sorry for not really answering your question, I do hope for #1 but it may end up being #4.

hard to say, that's the price of doing business on fleabay/craigslist.. it could be something as simple as the fan died and it was replaced or any of the things you listed.

If it was mined on, from my experience buying mined on cards, my bet would be #4.

But I'm really hoping it's #1 for you and you got a good deal

Do you mean, "abused cards"?

I sold a pile of mining video cards on Hardforum and elsewhere after the LTC mining bust. No complaints

I too recently stumbled upon some great hardware deals. It can happen just keep yourself protected and don't expect too much

I don't think you can assume anything about what "seller refurbished" means. The seller could have just as easily merely dusted it off, tested it, and boxed it up.

Curious do you have a link to the eBay auction/ad? I think it was probably a mined card, but that doesn't necessarily mean it'll die early.

I would just thoroughly test it when you receive it. If it doesn't satisfy you 100% return it, otherwise you probably got a good deal.

Just to give you a heads up I just sold my RX470 4gb for $225 on eBay. That was maybe 3 weeks ago and it was never mined with. I wouldn’t be surprised if prices came down more.

So I received the card benchmarks do not show any artifacts. Benchmarks are within normal parameters for my system specs. I am noticing some electronic sound, though it seems like its coming from my power supply. I was on a 460w psu, I swapped it out with a 500w one and the sound seems to be less noticeable though id say its louder than average. Its not a real pitchy coil whine.... its more clickly but very quick clicks like maybe one of those clickly toys you spin with a crank but really fast.

I haven't had any instabilities running 3dmark multiple times in a row.

The only thing that bothers me is the clicky sorta coilwhine it makes. It worries me a bit because most of the coil whine ive heard is more "whine" screetchy this is more like 60hz electrostatic clicky sound. The noise is tolerable when the case is on and the computer is slid back a ways.

The sound is only when I play games. Weird thing is when I play Skyrim SE edition, i hit escape and the menu pops up the noise goes away.

So I received the card benchmarks do not show any artifacts. Benchmarks are within normal parameters for my system specs. I am noticing some electronic sound, though it seems like its coming from my power supply. I was on a 460w psu, I swapped it out with a 500w one and the sound seems to be less noticeable though id say its louder than average. Its not a real pitchy coil whine.... its more clickly but very quick clicks like maybe one of those clickly toys you spin with a crank but really fast.

I haven't had any instabilities running 3dmark multiple times in a row.

The only thing that bothers me is the clicky sorta coilwhine it makes. It worries me a bit because most of the coil whine ive heard is more "whine" screetchy this is more like 60hz electrostatic clicky sound. The noise is tolerable when the case is on and the computer is slid back a ways.
What brand and model psu? This could definitely make a difference.

Its a Delta psu it is the one that came with my ASUS Desktop PC Essentio CG5290-BP007. Ill try to find the specs. its currently installed so that the label is not visible.

I believe its this one.
s-l1600.jpg

ebay ... mining card ... takes $150 when it's posted for $300 and any legit seller takes no more than $20 off if that

hate to say it but me thinks you didn't heed the age old advice: "if it sounds to good to be true it probably is, especially if it's on eBay"

ebay ... mining card ... takes $150 when it's posted for $300 and any legit seller takes no more than $20 off if that

hate to say it but me thinks you didn't heed the age old advice: "if it sounds to good to be true it probably is, especially if it's on eBay"

You didn't read all his replies did you

I have never heard "whine" from any of my RX cards. I have about 15 now. Used to use them in Crossfire as well for gaming.......

Would probably behoove you to verify if it is the PSU or card. If it is the card, is the fan clicking?

Back