RV042 + E3000 Tomato Linksys configuration?

Kcolyhs

n00b
I would really appreciate any advice on the following setup:

RV042 v.3 gateway in load-balancing mode with 2 adsl lines.
A Tomato Linksys E3000 to handle all DHCP + QoS + bandwidth monitoring + traffic shaping on the lan.
I want to avoid double-nat if possible.
I would like to retain access to the dsl modems' GUI if possible.
I would like the setup to be as secure as possible.

I currently have the RV lan port connected to the wan port of the E3000 using static wan on the E3000.
DHCP is disabled on the RV.
The E3000's wan ip is entered as a DMZ host on the RV

The E3000 has a lan ip on a different subnet than the RV and has DHCP enabled.
The E3000 is in gateway mode because in router mode there is no access to the internet, which means I have double-nat.

The above setup is working for me, but is there a better alternative configuration?
Many thanks!

Just to clarify my query:

The RV042 is the gateway with 2 adsl lines in load-balancing mode.

Because the RV is not as user friendly or flexible as the Linksys E3000 running Tomato, I want the tomato router to handle DHCP, QoS and per-ip traffic monitoring for the Lan.

So I am combining both the RV as gateway, which connects to the Lan via the E3000.

Thanks

I cannot think of any smooth way of doing this....and the functional way has you doing double NAT, which I simply do not tolerate by design. DMZ'ing the 3000 and I think you end up having it not work well with load balancing of the RV0. I think the only thing the RV0 lacks is good bandwidth monitoring, just use a 3rd party tool to monitor that, sling the 3000 off it it in access point mode.

I cannot think of any smooth way of doing this....and the functional way has you doing double NAT, which I simply do not tolerate by design. DMZ'ing the 3000 and I think you end up having it not work well with load balancing of the RV0. I think the only thing the RV0 lacks is good bandwidth monitoring, just use a 3rd party tool to monitor that, sling the 3000 off it it in access point mode.

Thank you for your response.

I am curious about the DHCP-Relay option in the RV0.
Can the relay be a lan based device?
If I enter the ip of the 3000 as the relay will that work in the current cascade setup I have, or if I change it to a lan to lan setup?
The aim is for the 3000 to handle DHCP without double NAT.

If that does not work, then I will have to remove the 3000 and let the RV manage everything.

Back