Russian TV Links CoD: MW 2 To Russian Massacre

HardOCP News

[H] News
Well it didn't take long for the talking heads on TV to try to link video games to the attack on Russia's busiest airport. Yeah, yeah, yeah...we all mowed down civilians in that airport level in Modern Warfare 2, that doesn't mean the game is responsible for the attacks in Russia. :rolleyes:

"Indeed it is a trouble to look at the game and reality," he said. "The issue is we need to know if terrorists or extremists are using these videos or DVDs or games to basically apply the model. "I think those who have been radicalized already – that is supposed in this case jihadists, Al-Qaeda or other kind – they look at the games and say these games will serve them to train."

There is no way anybody that played COD MW2 would do a suicide attack on an airport. That would put a huge crimp on their point collecting for in game rewards.

These morons, if anything I'd WANT potential terrorist to falsely educate themselves if they plan on doing something stupid.

I'd rather have them play a fictitious game with scripted reactions, then have them actually think and plan out what would really happen.

What I think is even worse, is anyone who's going to use a tragedy as a stepping stone in their personal crusade against video games. Shame on you for using the horrible deaths and pain of real life people for your perversity. Disgusting and inhumane.

If video games are indicative of real life, why aren't we using them to teach our kids everything they need to know? For any given job? For social development? For everything?

Terrorists and their attacks against airports/airplanes, has and have been going since way before MW2 ever hit the shelves, by a few decades.

I have been "Killing People" in video games for a LONG TIME!!!!! BF2, CoD4, BF:BC2, UT, ect ect....

I guess I have been brainwashed enough to do it in real life?!?!?!?

GIVE ME A FUCKING BREAK!!!!!!!

The most intelligent comment that someone made after reading the article was that this is nothing new. Even if the video game was the inspiration for the attack, books, movies, and even music have been the inspiration for violent acts for years and years now. It is just one more tool that the news media have in their box to make the segments more sensational.

YAWN!

Russia can complain to the UN and we can poke fun at them as usual.

Finding someone/something to blame for your own mistakes is always easier than admitting you're the one that made the mistake.

They are looking at this the wrong way..............
Video Games are ........ Prophetic ........They tell the future. :eek:
:D

Boy they must have forgotten about the 747 map from Counter-Strike...far older then MW2. :p

Well that didn't take long did it. I saw it coming, I have been playing the SP in MW2 for the past few days and that scene popped up in my mind, but I wouldn't go so far as blaming it on the game.

So, how long until Russia invades America?

First thing I thought of when I posted the thread in SoapBox. :D

Eh? Training? How does a suicide bomber need "training"? Courage maybe, and the realisation that it may be a little tricky to collect your body parts up for a decent burial. No training required. Walk into crowd, press detonator.

I remember within days of 9/11 they were trying to blame Microsoft Flight Sim. And, of course, idiots that Microsoft are they responded by removing the Twin Towers from the game.

Rambo and Child's Play videos were "blamed" for some shooting incidents in the UK. (Hungerford Massacre)

And many books have been blamed for incidents in the past. (Wasn't "Catcher in the Rye" blamed for John Lennon's assassination?)

As someone posted above - this is always about finding someone else to blame for something that is too extreme to be able to contemplate. Easy to blame someone else than except reality.

Argh!! Spellcheck confusion. Typo in my post. "Easy to blame someone else than ACCEPT reality."

Without the aid of video games to show them how it's done, how in the world did anyone ever manage to gold up a Stagecoach? Them black hat cowboys musta been real geniuses.

Without the aid of video games to show them how it's done, how in the world did anyone ever manage to hold up a Stagecoach? Them black hat cowboys musta been real geniuses.

(some of us really do require an edit button)

Moving a mouse helps you learn how to aim and fire a gun? Those people need a reality check.

"I think those who have been radicalized already – that is supposed in this case jihadists, Al-Qaeda or other kind – they look at the games and say these games will serve them to train,"

Who the hell uses a crappy arcade shooting console port to train for a real life op? That would give you all the wrong results. They should be glad the terrorists are being incorrectly trained.

A shitty game like COD, no... they were just using it as a reference to the general view of modern war games.

I can definitely see ARMA 2 being used as training... its got virtual topography maps (which could be replicated with real life maps) and realistic scenario setups, including a mission editor.

That game would probably never get mentioned though :D Great game though, I must say :)

I remember within days of 9/11 they were trying to blame Microsoft Flight Sim. And, of course, idiots that Microsoft are they responded by removing the Twin Towers from the game.

Welllllll .. if someone really wants to analyze that, maybe they removed the Twin Towers because they were no longer there?

As I recall they walked through and slaughtered plp not bombed them.

In Russia you play not videogame, videogame play you!

Seriously I mourn the victims of this attack and pray that someday that man will not kill man.

They've got it all wrong. We need MORE people playing video games! Get these potential terrorists hooked on an Islamic version of WoW and they'll be too busy leveling up their camels and virtual harems to actually go out and kill people. :D

Let's face it,Russia has made enough enemies in the past who hardly need a video game to inspire them. Jumping on the sensationalizing bandwagon by blaming games is a simplistic approach that ignores the real causes of such attacks.

Plenty of people are using games as a training method and putting lives in danger. I saw a kid stabbed at the weekend. The paramedics gave him a leg of ham and an apple. The kid didnt make it :(

They've got it all wrong. We need MORE people playing video games! Get these potential terrorists hooked on an Islamic version of WoW and they'll be too busy leveling up their camels and virtual harems to actually go out and kill people. :D

Nominee for quote of the year (at least this far!) lol :D

Back