Russian Turns Down Google Appeal In Anti-Monopoly Case

HardOCP News

[H] News
It looks as though Google will be amending its contracts with Russian smartphone manufacturers and paying a fine after losing this appeal. Are we taking bets on how big the fine will be?

The Moscow Arbitration court on Monday rejected an appeal from Google and upheld a ruling that the U.S. firm broke anti-monopoly laws by abusing its dominant position with its Android mobile platform, Russia's competition watchdog said. FAS, the watchdog, ruled last September that Google had broken the law by requiring pre-installation of certain applications on mobile devices running on Android, following a complaint by Russia's Yandex.

I don't know how legitimately independent these courts are, but I am surprised that the OHA has not been challenged yet by European or American anti-trust regulators.

The biggest thing Iearned from this story:

There are Russian smartphone makers!

The article doesn't go into details other than saying that Googles required pre-installation of certain apps was the problem.

Does it sound to anyone else that they are trying to replace Google Play with their own store apps?

Google Play is already poorly policed for malware as it is, can you imagine having an app store from some shady Russian phone maker on there instead? :p

Unless I'm mistaken, nothing is "bundled" with Android. It is bundled with the Play Store. If you truly wanted to use Android without Google you can, you just don't have access to the Play Store.

Back