Russian Hackers Target NATO

HardOCP News

[H] News
Other than bragging rights, what exactly is there to gain from hacking NATO?

Russian hackers exploited a bug in Microsoft Windows and other software to spy on computers used by NATO, the European Union, Ukraine and companies in the energy and telecommunications sectors, according to cyber intelligence firm iSight Partners.

NATO forces are the only significant forces capable of rapid response. They are ineffective in the long run but, short term, they are it. You don't achieve ground objectives through air power alone. That is what they have to gain.

Putin gets political currency back home by being a shit disturber on the world stage and trying to embarass the West. As with such things, to keep the electorate back home enthralled, he has to escalate it. Eventually it will build and build until things are done that risk war or choose to end his political career.

Putin is fighting against the non-stop encroachment upon Russias borders by the West.

People that don't understand this know nothing about what is going on over there.

The reason there is unrest in Ukraine is because the West has been trying to bring Ukraine into their sphere of influence, Russia simply is not going to allow this to happen.

People that think Ukraine is going to join the EU or NATO are delusional, there will be a very large destructive war before that happens.

It's easy to sit here and demonize Putin when you have no idea what has been going on over there since the end of the cold war.

Putin is fighting against the non-stop encroachment upon Russias borders by the West.

People that don't understand this know nothing about what is going on over there.

The reason there is unrest in Ukraine is because the West has been trying to bring Ukraine into their sphere of influence, Russia simply is not going to allow this to happen.

People that think Ukraine is going to join the EU or NATO are delusional, there will be a very large destructive war before that happens.

It's easy to sit here and demonize Putin when you have no idea what has been going on over there since the end of the cold war.

Lou Cypher is crazy and Putin is Satan replies in 3,2...
I agree.. It's a bit annoying to read US one-sided propaganda, but the worst is how we as a nation pretend it is superior free press.

I agree.. It's a bit annoying to read US one-sided propaganda, but the worst is how we as a nation pretend it is superior free press.

I think the real people to ask that are the Ukranians (a ethnic Ukranian who is not a Russian Cold War colonian) and Georgians, when there aren't Russian tanks just outside.

I think the real people to ask that are the Ukranians (a ethnic Ukranian who is not a Russian Cold War colonian) and Georgians, when there aren't Russian tanks just outside.

Even I, as one living in Bulgaria, can't imagine how are things in Ukraine. Russia will NEVER EVER EVER let this huge country escape its grasp.

We managed to join NATO and later the EU because Russia was way weaker back in the 90's. And we aren't nearly as important, nor as big, as Ukraine. Don't envy those people. Doesn't matter what they do or want. It's not up to them - they're stuck between world's major powers.

Okay listen up dumb shit

First off the US has nothing to do with what Ukraine's population decide. As far as we are concerned this is an internal civil war. All we ask is that Russia keep it's damn mitts off.

Second, Ukraine is NOT part of Russia. It was part of the old Soviet Union. However Ukraine has it's own distinct culture and people.

Like all great murdering sadistic sociopathic leaders, Stalin invaded the country and embedded the land with Russian nationalist. But this was generations ago.

Now imagine this....millions of illegal immigrants flood into southern United States and California. Next they decide they want to claim the land for themselves. You think that's going to fly? Well now you understand the Ukraine crisis dipshit.

Third, like all great bastard psychopath career nationalistic politicians, Putin creates an artificial enemy to boost his own support. The Romans did it. The Nazi's did it. The Iranian and Palistians did it.

The number of attack articles from ITAR-TASS (Russia's news service) has skyrocketed under Putin's leadership. He's generating an artificial sense of hate for USA. Truth is we could give a rats ass about Russia any more as long as they don't mess with other countries.

I just checked and none of my news sources have .GOV in their name......unlike Russia

Wait your comment is toooo sensible for these forms! <BUMP +1k> ;):D
It's funny it seems most people want to blame this as an Amerikan made uprising, but fail to see how Putin's gov backed and placed the previous president for Ukraine in office. They also have been making this a shell game and slowly trying to absorb back the country for almost 10 + years.

Okay listen up dumb shit

First off the US has nothing to do with what Ukraine's population decide. As far as we are concerned this is an internal civil war. All we ask is that Russia keep it's damn mitts off.

Second, Ukraine is NOT part of Russia. It was part of the old Soviet Union. However Ukraine has it's own distinct culture and people.

Like all great murdering sadistic sociopathic leaders, Stalin invaded the country and embedded the land with Russian nationalist. But this was generations ago.

Now imagine this....millions of illegal immigrants flood into southern United States and California. Next they decide they want to claim the land for themselves. You think that's going to fly? Well now you understand the Ukraine crisis dipshit.

I see you learned your history from western media and the public school system, very patriotic of you to be so stupid.

Here is the real deal Lou, none of that history shit means anything, certainly not to an American cause we make that shit up as we go along. What does matter is that the US isn't going to allow Russia to reform the USSR period. It's not happening. We had too many close calls over that before and we sure aren't going to let it reach that point again. No matter who's history you believe it's the one that the big shots believe that will matter and our big shots still remember what 40 years of Cold War were like.

Therefore there may very well be another war soon but if there is you can bet your ass the US won't be alone fighting Russia, even the Germans would get to come out and play for that one. Be just like old times eh. What do you think the Russians would think about that one?

Putin gets political currency back home by being a shit disturber on the world stage and trying to embarass the West. As with such things, to keep the electorate back home enthralled, he has to escalate it. Eventually it will build and build until things are done that risk war or choose to end his political career.

Who's going to end his political career? The Russian people?

Here is the real deal Lou, none of that history shit means anything, certainly not to an American cause we make that shit up as we go along. What does matter is that the US isn't going to allow Russia to reform the USSR period. It's not happening. We had too many close calls over that before and we sure aren't going to let it reach that point again. No matter who's history you believe it's the one that the big shots believe that will matter and our big shots still remember what 40 years of Cold War were like.

Therefore there may very well be another war soon but if there is you can bet your ass the US won't be alone fighting Russia, even the Germans would get to come out and play for that one. Be just like old times eh. What do you think the Russians would think about that one?

I don't have any delusions that the Russians wouldn't use nuclear weapons to defend themselves Mr. NSA spook.

Keep destabilizing the world and blame everybody else, S.O.P.

There is going to be another war because the west is pretty much made up their mind that it is to be so.

QFT

I don't have any delusions that the Russians wouldn't use nuclear weapons to defend themselves Mr. NSA spook.

Keep destabilizing the world and blame everybody else, S.O.P.

There is going to be another war because the west is pretty much made up their mind that it is to be so.

Ummm, you must have missed it before. I have never directly worked for the NSA. I worked Army intelligence and after I have been a contractor on many things. Today I just do IT wok and I don't really even touch anything classified anymore.

If you want to believe that it's America destabilizing the world that's fine, your entitled. But you should come around to a grand realization some day. The world had no problem destabilizing itself before America even existed so why do you think the USA has a lock on that move now? Europe can't go 30 years without a war so are you certain it's all the American's fault?

They wanted access to the "Strongly Worded Letter" form template.

Quite frankly, I don't blame them.

Ummm, you must have missed it before. I have never directly worked for the NSA. I worked Army intelligence and after I have been a contractor on many things. Today I just do IT wok and I don't really even touch anything classified anymore.

If you want to believe that it's America destabilizing the world that's fine, your entitled. But you should come around to a grand realization some day. The world had no problem destabilizing itself before America even existed so why do you think the USA has a lock on that move now? Europe can't go 30 years without a war so are you certain it's all the American's fault?

Yeah, but we have a history of destabilizing elected governments. So it's not like the US has helped anything. Our government and their puppets only care about conflicts that benefit us.

Yeah, but we have a history of destabilizing elected governments. So it's not like the US has helped anything. Our government and their puppets only care about conflicts that benefit us.

I beg to differ.

South Korea.

What is it again that we gained from helping South Korea become one of the 10th largest economies in the world?

How much did we pump into South Korea's economy, what did we do to help them get where they are today when 60 years ago the Country was so torn apart that many Officers returned and stated that the country would never recover? Nothing to number 10 in sixty years, not too bad.

And Germany, and Belgium, France, England, Italy, Japan, the list starts to get lengthy. Do you see something like the Treaty of Versailles holding the Germans down today? just asking a question cause when it was England and France enforcing Germany's reconstruction I think they went about it differently the first time around.

And with that in mind, we have ZERO to gain from Ukraines succession to NATO. Zip, Zilch, NADA. They would more likely be a liability.

While the US has a history of supporting and training madmen in the past (Sadam H, Qudaffi, The Shaw of Iran, Bin Laden, Mubarak, al-Assad) we have no such policy in place now. We take a very neutral stance on other countries independence unless it is being influenced by outside forces.

To be honest the USA can't really afford another war, politically, or monetarily. But if push comes to shove, we will still stick our boot up some idiots tail.

Sadly the people who suffer most in this are the peaceful Russians and Ukrainians who are nothing but mere puppets to those in power.

Uh, I'm hardly the American press' greatest proponent, but I feel compelled to point out that you're ignoring Ukraine entirely. What do the Ukrainians want? It's pretty clear to me that most of them want to change the terms of the one-sided relationship with Russia, and most of them want to join the EU. Or do you really think the vast civil unrest is a western plot too?

Lou Cypher is Bulgarian I think he said.

It's a little odd because Bulgaria is already in the EU and NATO as well. Maybe Lou isn't happy with that arrangement. Or maybe Lou just doesn't think Russia will allow it without a fight, though why he thinks Russia can stop it is beyond me. Russia doesn't have the strength to stop it. They couldn't do it in 2006 and they can't do it now. Certainly not with so much of the EU opposed to Russia intervention in Ukrainian sovereignty.

Back