Russian CPUs Reported to be in High Demand

erek

[H]F Junkie
Russia, China, India,,, all going their own way on CPUs now

“Maxim Koposov, chief executive at Promobit, has observed that Baikal Electronics and MCST CPU prices have increased across the board, and it is difficult to compete in a market where: "more and more companies are announcing products based on Russian processors." He admits that his organization is relying on the supply of grey import x86-based CPUs (but does not specify whether these are Intel or AMD units). Koposov states that parts of his latest lineup of PCs, servers, and storage subsystems (Bitblaze) products are built on non-domestic hardware. His reasonings are simple: "No one wants to work at a loss or break even, especially given the possibility of including products based on foreign components in the register of the Ministry of Industry and Trade."”

1684443720613.png

Source: https://www.techpowerup.com/308815/russian-cpus-reported-to-be-in-high-demand-as-prices-climb

Wonder how much they'll pay for my 3570k sitting in the closet?

Any [H] in a country the USA doesn't do business with wanna help me set up a shell corporation? 🤔

Curious what sort of offers Mr. Keller and peers have been declining.

Reactions: erek
like this
I'd imagine this has something to do with the embargos enacted after the invasion of Ukraine.

Manufacturers in Russia likely don't want to risk being stuck without a supply.

Last edited:
Seems like the only thing USA sanctions on all of these countries are hurting is the USA itself.

Last edited:
Fuck Russia and their processors.

They're about to find out real soon...

Indeed. Russia is doing great right now! /s
I wouldn't call that a false statement. They're doing pretty good, including compared to many Western countries. Barely touching on things:
23-01-31 - Rus' economy to outperform US' 3.jpg
23-02-11 - Rus' economy to outperform all G7 in 2024.jpg
23-04-24 - 19 countries seek to join BRICS.jpg

23-04 - chart of recession probabilities.jpg

Attachments

• 23-05-11 - why West's economic war on Rus has failed 2.jpg
    23-05-11 - why West's economic war on Rus has failed 2.jpg
    176.8 KB · Views: 0
I wouldn't call that a false statement. They're doing pretty good, including compared to many Western countries. Barely touching on things:
View attachment 571495View attachment 571496View attachment 571499

View attachment 571497
What’s lost on a lot of these articles is that Russia’s economy is busy right now building weapons and things like that for the war effort. That is not the same thing as sustainable, productive growth, and does not mean Russia’s medium to long term health hasn’t been adversely impacted by US sanctions.

Recall China spent years advertising their stunning growth with the world standing in awe, only now we see a lot of it was buildings constructed that will never be occupied and high speed rail lines connecting two cities that don’t have enough ridership to make it worth it. Heck, my country’s government (Canada) likes to puff its chest out about our solid job growth, only they leave the part out that says the government is creating a significant portion of them, and the only reason our GDP is actually growing is because of record immigration. But hey, the numbers look ok, so whatever. Same applies to Russia. Yes, the numbers look ok right now. Apparently mobilizing your industry to crank out munitions and war materiel as fast as HIMARs can take them out boosts the economy, who knew? Anyone who thinks Russia is skating by with no negative impact from the sanctions isn’t paying close enough attention to the details.

Depending on the bill of materials that may be affected by the economic restrictions, the laptop could end up overpriced for its specs. Tom’s Hardware reports that the aluminum version of the Titan BM15 was expected to cost the equivalent of US$1375 - 1650 in rubles back in March, but this could change with the November release. Speaking of specs, the ARM-based Baikal-M1 processor is quite outdated, with 8x Cortex-A57 cores clocked at 1.5 GHz, 8 MB L3 cache and 28 nm production process. It also features an even older Mali-T628 iGPU.
source

I don't mind inflation of this kind. :hungry: :sneaky: :LOL:

Reactions: erek
like this
What’s lost on a lot of these articles is that Russia’s economy is busy right now building weapons and things like that for the war effort. That is not the same thing as sustainable, productive growth, and does not mean Russia’s medium to long term health hasn’t been adversely impacted by US sanctions.
Kind of like how the USA, and many other Western nations, were having artificial growth due to COVID over the last 2-3 years, which was not sustainable, productive growth, and certainly meant that their medium to long-term health wasn't adversely impacted by it all of it. :whistle:
This is why many nations are jumping ship and pointing at China for trade and leadership, which is going to stunningly backfire on them as well in the near-future, they just don't realize it yet.

Speaking of specs, the ARM-based Baikal-M1 processor is quite outdated, with 8x Cortex-A57 cores clocked at 1.5 GHz, 8 MB L3 cache and 28 nm production process. It also features an even older Mali-T628 iGPU.
While that CPU isn't going to outperform a 13900K, their CPU will have quite a bit of use-case scenarios, and if it means standing on their own feet while doing it then the process is only going to get better from there, especially after developing it for years - look at the years and years of Intel's 14nm++++++++ for a similar outcome.
The sanctions the Western nations has put upon the Eastern nations is backfiring, and at best has done nothing but innovate the Eastern nations' technological growth and reduce their dependency on everyone else.

Western nations have become like ancient Rome, and Rome did not fall in a single day.

Last edited:
All the information coming out about Russia’s economy is false.

Like a lot of DW's reporting, the information in that video is largely (strongly leaning towards almost completely) false and wishful, but delusional thinking. To address just its claim that oil price-caps have been effective... they haven't. Russian oil is selling far above the price-cap. And during 2015 - 2020, Putin said that $40 Brent (which would mean a lower price for Urals) is a comfortable price for Russia. So, the DW guy's claim that Russia would be selling oil for at-cost at $40 is false. And Russia is selling its oil for much higher than that. Also, Russia is planning to phase-out some oil discounts through this year.

23-04-27 - widespread price-cap 'violations' 2.jpg
Urals oil price much higher than market quotes.png
23-02-13 - market doesn't reflect Urals oil price paid.png
23-04-28 - India EU's biggest oil supplier.jpg
20-04 - Rus good with $40 Brent price.PNG
15 - average cost to produce oil barrel - Rus circled.PNG

23-02-03 - analyst - sanctions on Rus oil have failed completely.PNG
23-04-16 - Rus' crude exports higher than pre-2022.PNG

BTW, while Russia's economy contracted in 2022, in nominal terms, by around 2.1% (much smaller than the West's analysts had predicted), in terms of purchasing power, it actually increased by 7.44% ($321 billion). This year, it's on track to increase by a greater amount.

Last edited:
Do you also believe anything out of NK or China?

Gotta love the boot lickers that come out of the shadows here sometimes.
Well, if I did, I wouldn't being worse off than than people who believe NATO-country governments and MSM. But I didn't post a single Russian source, other than mentioning Putin said $40 Brent was a comfortable oil price for Russia - which he said a couple of years before the fierce sanctions on Russian energy (and so his comment can't be construed as being for propaganda in the face of sanctions). You're knee-jerk rejecting objective data and calling it bootlicking on the basis of you simply not liking what it shows. Hopefully, you don't always do that.

Well, if I did, I wouldn't being worse off than than people who believe NATO-country governments and MSM. But I didn't post a single Russian source, other than mentioning Putin said $40 Brent was a comfortable oil price for Russia - which he said a couple of years before the fierce sanctions on Russian energy (and so his comment can't be construed as being for propaganda in the face of sanctions). You're knee-jerk rejecting objective data and calling it bootlicking on the basis of you simply not liking what it shows. Hopefully, you don't always do that.
Fair enough.

Apologies for directing quick judgement your way. Unfortunately, I am used to a Qanon folk in my family sharing less coherent arguments about why Putin is on a mission from God.

Sanctions are nothing compared to the accelerated transformation of the energy sector of western europe. The war was a wake up call forcing them to modernize their infrastructure. It will never be the same. There will never be the same market for energy again. Russia cam lean on china but even china can't fill the void of western consumption.

Lets also be clear, a recession is just a change in growth, its easy to grow your economy when it is fractional compared to the rest of the world.

One thing russia has going for it is an existing diverse infrastructure, however they seem to be shooting themselves in the foot with the arrests of academics and journalists. Fear of doing anything will stifle innovation.

Fair enough.

Apologies for directing quick judgement your way. Unfortunately, I am used to a Qanon folk in my family sharing less coherent arguments about why Putin is on a mission from God.
What's most incoherent than this? children mutilation, the normalization of pedophilia, school shootings, the grooming of children in schools, the racism toward white people, and the main news stations calling Burn, Loot, and Murder "the summer of love"...

Last edited:
What's most incoherent than this? children mutilation, the normalization of pedophilia, school shootings, the grooming of children in schools, the racism toward white people, and the main news stations calling Burn, Loot, and Murder "the summer of love"...
Hey, step dad. Didn't know you were on [H] too!

Back