Russia to Disconnect from the Internet as Part of a Planned Test

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
In order to test how the country would fare against "foreign aggression to disconnect the country from the rest of the internet," Russia will soon undergo an experiment that temporarily separates it from the global internet and isolates all information to Runet, the country’s own internet space. The trial involves the re-routing of all Russian internet traffic by domestic firms to exchange points approved by telecom watchdog Roskomnazor, ensuring traffic stays between Russian users and is not "re-routed uselessly through servers abroad, where it could be intercepted." Critics fear Russia's actual intention is the creation of a "Great Firewall" for cracking down on freedom of information.

The Russian government has been working on this project for years. In 2017, Russian officials said they plan to route 95 percent of all internet traffic locally by 2020. Authorities have even built a local backup of the Domain Name System (DNS), which they first tested in 2014, and again in 2018, and which will now be a major component of the Runet when ISPs plan to disconnect the country from the rest of the world. Russia's response comes as NATO countries announced several times that they were mulling a stronger response to cyber attacks, of which Russia is constantly accused of carrying out.

Its the same when Twitter, YouTube, Google, Facebook etc go down in whole countries from time to time... Just testing the off button, should anything happen that the rest of the world does not need to know from the uncensored public.

Big difference that I see, that people in China and Russia know what's up or at least can know because it's more or less in the open. Same things are happening in other countries and unions, but behind backs.

Big difference that I see, that people in China and Russia know what's up or at least can know because it's more or less in the open. Same things are happening in other countries and unions, but behind backs.

In other words, Russia and China are totalitarian states and are not trying to pretend otherwise. How nice of them.

Of course, its logical to do these things... We just fill ourselves with shit about how super different we are, and THEY are just evil and terrible, always and only that.

The Russia I grew up with would never have been on the internet in the first place. They are going back in time I guess.

Why is this a surprise, other than that it has taken them several years to react to the Snowden revelations?
Obviously the web is a happy hunting ground for surveillance entities, both national as well as corporate.
While this is a clumsy response at first glance, it seems a useful reminder to all outsiders that Russia will change the rules if the game is too lopsided.
China surely has the same capacity, just not advertised it as loudly. There is probably a similar program under development in India as well as in some Arab states.

Its too bad it can't be done like they turn it off only for them sending stuff out.

I don't mind them surfing the web but all that damn russian spam could use a flip of a switch.

Ahh, who needs them Russians, anyways? Anybody in the US government who feels separation anxiety because of Internet issues can just fly on over to Moscow. Problem solved.

Russia has need to worry about that happening, so does China and Iran

don't mess with the US because eventually you WILL get burned

Hmmm. Wonder how this will impact the Russian game companies and their games?

All you saying that you keep getting brute force attempts from Russian ips...
How do you know hackers are not using a VPN?
Because that's something a hacker totally wouldn't do, eh?

Are you upset that Russians hack???

Hackers don't utilize brute force scripts. Those are script kiddies doing that.
Even if they are using a VPN or a proxy to mask their IP at least they will have to choose a different country to run their VPN/Proxy through now.

The hell with all the alleged ' Russian ' hackers.. it might be Ips but what the hell do you know?
Also in taking in with IT at my small meaninless company they get attacks from "Iran" .. Iran, really? And you believe that shit? Iran is a small country, with relatively small budget any hacking effort WILL be focused.. same with Russia, while bigger, still less rich to be " attacking " everywhere.
If anything those attacks come from an Israeli exascale supercomputer attacking everywhere at once 24/7 and masking as "Russia" or "Iran" .. not many other countries would be advanced enough or have the resources.. maybe the US... Maybe.

Hahahah. Do you really believe this?

Some people might be aware, but influencing the masses with propaganda is a lot more effective than you think, especially when you have complete government control of the media. Ask the average Chinese what they think about Tienanmen Square for example.

Back