Rushed Build for parents. Please look over

Yz388

Limp Gawd
Parents pc died, very old anyways. Building them a new one. Put this together in a few mins. Will be ordering later tonight.

Please let me know if
1) The parts work together
2) If its a good build
3) If i should change anything

Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 ST3250310AS 250GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive

G.SKILL 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model F2-6400CL5D-2GBNQ - Retail

Intel Core 2 Duo E6750 Conroe 2.66GHz LGA 775 65W Dual-Core Processor Model BX80557E6750 - Retail

GIGABYTE GA-G31M-S2L LGA 775 Intel G31 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail

The rest does not need to be looked over. Thanks alot guys

Do they need an E6750? What do they do with the system?

If they don't need an E6750, go with an E4500 or E4600 instead. Heck, they'll probably still be ok with an E2180. Otherwise, everything looks fine.

What PSU/case will you be using?

ok thanks. I figured I would be running vista on the pc, so I went for a decent processor. I did not realize it was that good.

psu- still looking on newegg, any recommendations?

Video- Onboard

Case- COOLER MASTER Centurion 5 CAC-T05-UW Black Aluminum Bezel , SECC Chassis ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Retail

For what you are looking at Corsair 520HX would be fine. Check buy.com as they usually have the better price and free shipping.

ok thanks.

as for a video card, is it really needed?

They will be using this for music, internet, and prob thats about it. I just want it to be fast, responsive. Thats why I went with the 2 gigs of ram, and the processor. I am putting vista in it because they want to be "up to date".
As for a video card, is it really needed in this type of build? Basically the only downside is vista not having it to help out with aero...

So maybe bump the processor down a bit, pick up a decent psu, and should that be alright? I want to order by midnight tonight.

btw, thanks guys

Will they be watching any HD video content with this machine? If not, then no real need for a vidcard; onboard should suffice (and consume less power).

As for a PSU, this one is ok. Its OEM'd by FSP:
$47 - Silverstone ST400 ATX 12V 2.2 400W PSU

If they're going to use it for music, where's the sound card? Even a cheap sound card is usually way better than onboard.

you could go with the hd3450 or hd3650 for video playback and such. they replace the 8400, 8500, hd2400 at their prices.

2gbs of ram is good enough.

ill agree on enginurd's advice about the processor. e4500/e4600/e2180 is enough for music and internet.

you could get a antec earthwatts 380w psu. the 520hx, although good and modular, is not needed for this particular build.

do you have a case already?

No HD playback.
Will go step down on processor
Already have case
Thanks for psu recommendations.

When i meant music, nothing serious. I am sure they dont need a soundcard. Just somthing to listen to some tunes here and there.

Any other suggestions..ordering in a few hours.

The EA380 crhscoog mentioned would suffice, and it has a nice MIR, if you don't mind those things.

Edited build. Ordered.

Thanks guys as always, i always tend to be rushed

(Now back to studying for java data structure midterm material for tomorrow :) )

Back