runs fine in safe mode but dies in normal mode? help???

starhawk

[H]F Junkie
ok... my father is begging help here.

he has a ctx computer, specs:

amd k6-ii 266mhz proc
~4gb hdd
unknown ram
integrated graphics
integrated sound
win98

Father is trying to get some files off of the thing before resigning it to davy jones' locker, but is having a little trouble doing so.

when he boots into safe mode, the computer will function properly and everything's perfect. but if he tries to boot into regular mode, everything is fine until he clicks on something. then the screen blanks and redraws w/in a couple seconds, with no other effect... the clicked-on app, file, or folder won't open to save the planet.

i recall there being a clump of psu cables near the cpu hsf... i say that it's the cpu or northbridge overheating, and he says that i am crackers, it's gotta be a mem conflict within windows.

what do you guys think? is it the cpu overheating? the northbridge overheating? a soft mem conflict? or something neither of us are thinking of?

How about plugging the drive into a spare IDE cable on your machine?

frusturated.gif
wtf? read the 1st post again, paying special attention to what happens in safe mode. you will see then why it cannot be a dying hdd.

ppl who don't read the 1st post completely are starting to get on my nerves here.

starhawk said:
frusturated.gif
wtf? read the 1st post again, paying special attention to what happens in safe mode. you will see then why it cannot be a dying hdd.

ppl who don't read the 1st post completely are starting to get on my nerves here.

why don't you just get the files off in safemode.

and no it's not a heat issue in my opinion, sounds like a software issue.

I'm going to bet it's a driver issue...cuz safe mode doesn't start with drivers. But...unless there is a blue screen or something, I wouldn't know where to start. =/

starhawk said:
frusturated.gif

Who cares if it's a dying HDD or not? You said your dad just wanted to get stuff off of the computer and then junk it. Plugging the drive into your machine is the easiest way to do it... why troubleshoot something you're gonna chuck? Why spend hours trouble shooting, posting on the net, and arguing with your dad when you could transfer the stuff in a few minutes?

I did read your 1st post... evidently closer than you did. Nothing's worse than someone asking for help and then flaming those that help him. If you want to get the machine running for more than just getting the files off say so in your first post. :rolleyes:

it definately sounds like a software problem, try reinstalling windows over the top, i assume it's running like 98? or check out the drivers situation...

Jonsey said:
Who cares if it's a dying HDD or not? You said your dad just wanted to get stuff off of the computer and then junk it. Plugging the drive into your machine is the easiest way to do it... why troubleshoot something you're gonna chuck? Why spend hours trouble shooting, posting on the net, and arguing with your dad when you could transfer the stuff in a few minutes?

I did read your 1st post... evidently closer than you did. Nothing's worse than someone asking for help and then flaming those that help him. If you want to get the machine running for more than just getting the files off say so in your first post. :rolleyes:

i agree with all that :)

basically he wants to know what's wrong, that's all. knowledge for the sake of knowledge.

the innards are gonna have a run in with mister smashy the two-by-four after he gets the files off... and i will post pics.

actually, i'm thinking of having each part do a run-in with a different sort of destructive device...
mobo vs. 1994 toyota camry ls
psu vs. 2x4
hard drive vs. aluminum baseball bat
floppy drive vs. gas-powered weedeater

hehe that would be fun.

doubt it. it's a ctx brand computer that my father got years ago.

and i doubt he ever updated the drivers from generic/win98 stock.

I asked because if it has a VIA chipset, that might be the problem. I just finished fixing a K6II-450 for a guy with similar problems. It also had onboard everything with the video sharing ram with the system. VIA turned out to be his problem. The IDE drivers were hosed someway. I tried a couple of different driver packages, and finally got it to work. It may be worth the effort to download Belarc Advisor just to see exactly what you have. It may tell a bit more than Device Manager. It will tell the name of the board and how much ram for sure.

Not offhand, other than maybe looking to see what's running, and shutting down the unnecessary. Then, maybe trying to defrag the machine. The free Disk Keeper from Executive Software will be the best shot at that, if the resident defrag won't work. Basically, I'd make a quick run through the machine to delete what isn't needed, and see if that makes any difference. Personally, I think you can save it. It may not be easy, though.

Edit: I did think of another possibility. If the machine has an Iomega Zip drive, remove all associated software. Then, disable the driver and physically remove the Zip drive. These used to cause bigtime problems from time to time.

Back