Running Windows 7 on 11.6 Macbook Air

computerpro3

LightningRod
I just got my first Mac ever with the 11in 1.8ghz 128gb ssd macbook air. I'm really excited - it's exactly what I was looking for in an ultraportable, except that I prefer Windows 7 to OSX.

As this is my first Mac, what will I need to do to get Windows 7 running? Is there a way to completely remove OSX to save space on the drive? Will I need any special tools or an optical drive?

Also, how do I get drivers - I can't find them on Apple's website.

Thanks in advance.

Bootcamp windows and it will work fine from the get-go.

I suggest using OSX and giving it a try, as a fellow Windows user it took me several months to transform to OSX but it's sooo much nicer :)

Unless there is some software that you NEED to have windows for (remember you can VM too!), I'd give OSX a whirl. After a week you'll be a pro, and you won't have to fight with the little things that don't work as well in W7. W7 works on macs, but it isn't a seamless experience. I've had OSX on MBP and W7 on desktop for two years, and going back and forth is no problem at all.

Like they said...give OSX a good try first. My buddy is all Windows and got a MBA and decided to try OSX and has stuck with it. You'll find that while Bootcamp works it's not perfect and some things dont' work as well. If you use OSX and need Windows just run it in a VM. Best of both worlds.

Here is the downside to running pure OSX: Office Mac sucks. I ran 2011 side by side with 2010, 2010 is a far superior product. That said, 2011 was a bit more forgiving on mangled files.

On my new Mac Mini I didn't even bother installing 2011 (MSDN Subscriber, I have the licenses), I just installed 2010 in Parallels and called it a day.

Give this guide a shot:

http://www.intowindows.com/how-to-install-windows-7vista-from-usb-drive-detailed-100-working-guide/

Hopefully, you wont need an optical drive attached to your MBA to get Windows on it. Other than this, put a fresh install of OSX lion on and use the Bootcamp assistant to make the windows partition as large as possible.

If you want your computer to boot in to windows all the time instead of booting in to OSX, go to system preferences in OSX, then 'Startup Disk' and select your Windows partition.

Drivers are usually on your OSX restore CD's. If your MBA came with a little USB flash drive, insert that while running windows and see if it auto-runs. If not, you can try to find a download for "Boot Camp 4.0". That's what apple calls their driver package.

Last edited:
Also, your battery life is going to be much better in OSX, something to keep in mind.

Boo. With ram dying as much as it does this seems like a bad idea..

I don't like this either. I wish they could find a way to squeeze in replaceable RAM.

Also, <3 CP3's post in genmay with respect to the condo and $1100 shoes.

Want to format your HDD to kingdom come? Use DBan. Make sure you use something like Acronis Disk Image Home to make a compressed image backup of your HDD in case you want to go back to O$X again though.

Back