Running uTorrent brings browsing to a halt

Hello everyone,

Whenever I run uTorrent, it seems to bring my browsing to a complete halt. Note that I have have about a 3Mbit down/2Mbit line up, and I set my max uTorrent upload to 10KB.

Loss of browsing ability seems to occur within 15 seconds of starting uTorrent, regardless of download or upload speed. I have UnPnP enabled on my router, as well as the correct port forwarded manually (and uTorrent confirms this with the built-in check).

Does anyone have any ideas as to what could be causing this?

Good point, I'll do this when I get a chance.

For the record, my router is a D-link DI-604. I have a D-link DI-624 running as a wireless AP at the moment because the DI-624 seemed to give noticeably slower browsing speeds for some reason.

You need to increase the max number of half open connections.

Torrent clients can keep these tied up so other new connections cannot be made.
A single web page usually involves making many connections, this is why when using a torrent client you will sometimes see a small part of a page load and then the rest loads very slowly or not at all, it cannot get all the half open connections it needs to create full connections.

You need to increase the max number of half open connections.

Torrent clients can keep these tied up so other new connections cannot be made.
A single web page usually involves making many connections, this is why when using a torrent client you will sometimes see a small part of a page load and then the rest loads very slowly or not at all, it cannot get all the half open connections it needs to create full connections.

How would I go about doing this? I've never heard of a half-open connection before.

why not when your downloaded use the "bandwidth allocation" and set it at like 10 kbps max. and then when your DL is done. just let her seed!

Now that's odd...If I run Utorrent my net also slows, for every computer
in the house. Yes I only have a wrt54g with dd-wrt on it. But if I login to it
there is litte if any processor usage o_O

Now that's odd...If I run Utorrent my net also slows, for every computer
in the house. Yes I only have a wrt54g with dd-wrt on it. But if I login to it
there is litte if any processor usage o_O

It's a fairly common thing. You might will want to turn off SPI Filtering if you have it on. This can be troublesome due to the amount of connections.

also look to your ISP, there are many ISP's that will limit connection if they detect that you are torrenting, even if it is for legal purposes. my ISP is having a class action lawsuit against them for this action, try encrypting your traffic, thats how i solved my issue, they are never the wiser.

why not when your downloaded use the "bandwidth allocation" and set it at like 10 kbps max. and then when your DL is done. just let her seed!

It doesn't matter how much bandwidth I am using up or down using uTorrent. I could be using 1 kbps up and down, but my browsing still comes to a crawl.

Good point, I'll do this when I get a chance.

For the record, my router is a D-link DI-604. I have a D-link DI-624 running as a wireless AP at the moment because the DI-624 seemed to give noticeably slower browsing speeds for some reason.

I had exactly the same setup for several months, and the 604 seemed to do much better with torrents. I couldn't even get my 624 to run stable after forwarding ports for utorrent. When I forwarded on my 604, everything worked without a hitch.

also look to your ISP, there are many ISP's that will limit connection if they detect that you are torrenting, even if it is for legal purposes. my ISP is having a class action lawsuit against them for this action, try encrypting your traffic, thats how i solved my issue, they are never the wiser.

I have the same problem, any tips on encrypting my incoming traffic?

i have the same problem on a wrt54gs with dd-wrt. it didnt happen when i had the linksys firmware but without the transmitter booster on the dd-wrt the family doesnt get any wifi.

I have the exact same problem and spent hours and days trying fixes but nothing works.

Even if there is nothing seeding or downloading, it causes my browsing to be VERY slow

I have the same exact problem. I find that if I open the port from my router to my pc to allow a bunch of data in, I can often lose my connection to the WAN, although my LAN remains unscathed. I have to reset my router to get it back to normal (linksys WCG200 which I hate).

I just open up the port before I go to sleep to DL and then turn it off in the morning. It's really annoying and would like to see what helps you. I've tried the turning off legacy mode and that seems to have helped some but not all of the problem.

Who's your ISP? This sounds a lot like traffic shaping. Encryption is being bypassed very quickly. I'm using an alpha release, and it only has an effect for about 30 seconds. After that traffic grinds to a halt.

I have the same exact problem. I find that if I open the port from my router to my pc to allow a bunch of data in, I can often lose my connection to the WAN, although my LAN remains unscathed. I have to reset my router to get it back to normal (linksys WCG200 which I hate).

I just open up the port before I go to sleep to DL and then turn it off in the morning. It's really annoying and would like to see what helps you. I've tried the turning off legacy mode and that seems to have helped some but not all of the problem.

All modem/routers I have ever seen/used with torrents eventually lock up all their connections and need to be rebooted.
How quickly this happens depends how many connections you try and maintain and how many the modem can cope with.

My previous modem allowed up to around 250 connections but once they were used up by a torrent, everything else became very slow to use the internet and within a day, sometimes an hour, the modem effectively locked up and wouldnt even allow connections to itself to administer it.

My new modem does exactly the same but now I can get around 500 active connections max.
If I allow that many connections, it locks up within an hour or so, so by limiting it to less than 400, it goes quite a long time before all the connections get locked up.

The cure is find how many connections you can actually make with uTorrent (Help/Show statistics) once a torrent with thousands of clients has been running for some time.
Set your torrent client to use a maximum of around 80% or less of the max connections you can make.
This will keep your router alive for much longer before requiring a reboot.

This is likely to slow down how quickly a torrent gets going and reduce the maximum average speeds you were getting, but thats life.

Back