Running two video cards not in SLI

Liger88

2[H]4U
Currently I have a GTX 260 that I use primarily for #1 folding and #2 gaming in that order. I'm getting a GTX 460 for practically free in the next few days and was thinking of doing an upgrade so the 460 is just for gaming and the 260 is running folding@home 24/7.

MOBO: Asus P5Q Pro
http://www.asus.com/Motherboard/P5Q_PRO/#overview

I made sure when I bought it that it had 2 PCIe 16x slots, but the trick here is I've never thought I'd ever do SLI or run two video cards at the same system without SLI in my life. I'm guessing the 460 would go at the top PCIe 16x slot near the CPU to make it primary and the GTX 260 would be in the secondary slot. My curiosity has me thinking. I know I can manually set folding@home which GPU to use (forgot the command though), but how will games know to just use the GTX 460?

I know it seems silly. I'm pretty sure that's what the primary slot is for, but I've just never bothered with learning this stuff since I never thought I'd have two video cards at the same time in my life lol.

It defaults to whatever is set as the Primary Display in Windows. Some games will allow you to specify which display to use.

The same goes for audio devices.

Networking is different, because the sockets API that almost everyone uses doesn't let you choose an interface by a hardware enumeration.

Thank you very much good sir. Confirmed what I was thinking. So it is as easy as I thought :)

Back