Running two graphics cards for different applications

loafer87gt

Limp Gawd
Hi All,

I bought a GTX 470 card a couple of weeks ago and the card is blazingly fast for gaming, but the card just flat out stinks for Maya, Autocad, and 3dsMax. Looking back at past benchmarks, it is far slower than my older 6800 GT, and doesn't come anywhere close to my old 8800 GTX. Nvidia is aware of this issue, but they have said they will no longer will be offering the same level of performance as they did with their previous cards when running pro level apps. Their new stance is that if you want to be running these applications, you will have to buy a Quadro card to get the optimized (unbroken) drivers.

Anywhoo, I still have my old 8800 GTX, and I was wondering if there is a way to install it in my Bad Axe 2 Crossfire motherboard and use it for when I am doing any graphics related work. Ideally, I would also love to use the 8800 GTX for 2D work as well as it is far snappier than my new GTX 470. Is this doable? How does one select which card they want to run an application on if you do have multiple cards installed? Is this done through your Nvidia profiles?

Or should I just ditch my 470 and get a Radeon which isn't totally neutered through drivers for graphics apps?

Last edited:
Back