Running PC with a UPS on 220v in the USA

Sufu

[H]ard|Gawd
Does anyone have any experience running their gaming rigs on 220v? I know many PSUs have a 220v switch, but my Cyberpower UPS does not do 220. The models that accept 220v still only output 110v from what I could see.

Modern quality PSUs do not have a 110/220v switch. If you're still using one of those PSUs, it is time to update. Modern PSUs with active PFC automatically adjust for voltage ranges from 90 to 240 volts.

Modern quality PSUs do not have a 110/220v switch. If you're still using one of those PSUs, it is time to update. Modern PSUs with active PFC automatically adjust for voltage ranges from 90 to 240 volts.

I hadn't really checked - it's a enermax max revo 1200w so it should be pfc.

Is there a benefit to running 220v outside efficiency?

I hadn't really checked - it's a enermax max revo 1200w so it should be pfc.

Is there a benefit to running 220v outside efficiency?

Less amperage through your house wiring, safer to run higher wattage PSUs. Other than that, not that I know of.

In the US, it's actually 240v. I'm not sure that an ATX PSU would be very happy with split phase 240v in the US, nor how you would even wire it up. Common 240v in the US is two hots, a neutral and a ground (or the older style of two hots and a neutral with no ground.) I'm thinking the PSU would probably be sad and explode into flames.

Across the pond for 230v, it's just a single hot, a neutral and a ground.

I've worked with 4 kW 220v three phase power supplies. They're as big as a mid tower PC case and weigh 150 lb. When they decide to say "fuck you, I'm done here", it's usually a spectacular show with explosions, fire and balls of liquid metal being ejected out of the unit yards away.

I'd have to agree with you, I'd rather not have some crypto coin nut who probably doesn't know much about industrial electrical wiring living next door.

I've worked with 4 kW 220v three phase power supplies. They're as big as a mid tower PC case and weigh 150 lb. When they decide to say "fuck you, I'm done here", it's usually a spectacular show with explosions, fire and balls of liquid metal being ejected out of the unit yards away.

That sounds awesome and terrifying at the same time...

That sounds awesome and terrifying at the same time...

It was awesome when they exploded and you were down the hall to watch the spectacle, which happened a few times. The not so awesome times were when some of them were like "haha fuck you" and blew up behind my back when I was working on something else and showering me with hot metal and electrical bits. Usually the breaker will pop when they go out, but there was one that was a continual sea of explosions and fire that melted the breaker on the unit and I had to work my way around to the main breaker panel to shut the mains off to it.

Back