Running multiple PCI-E cards of the same brand/model?

Angry_Birds

Weaksauce
Can anybody provide some insight into this? I have read in a few different places that running completely identical SATA controllers cards in the same machine will cause issues. I currently have a Vantec 4+1 (not exactly high-end), I'm not sure if this has anything to do with it.

Any problems will depend on the specific card / driver. Basically if the manufacturer designed the driver to allow more than 1 card it will work. If they did not think anyone would ever use 2 of their cards it may not..

Any problems will depend on the specific card / driver. Basically if the manufacturer designed the driver to allow more than 1 card it will work. If they did not think anyone would ever use 2 of their cards it may not..

Not only the specific card/driver, but also the particular motherboard. When using multiple storage controllers, it is always suggested to use a server-class board. Some boards, especially enthusiast boards that are pushed for SLI/Crossfire can have issues with what cards will work in which slots, some that won't accept anything but a display controller in the first PCIe slot, etc.

Can anybody provide some insight into this? I have read in a few different places that running completely identical SATA controllers cards in the same machine will cause issues. I currently have a Vantec 4+1 (not exactly high-end), I'm not sure if this has anything to do with it.

on linux(using centos).
as long as you BIOS mobo can accomodate and detect your raid/hba card, you should be okay,
the first thing first, the order of you raid/hba devices could be not in order :)
as mine (gigabye 990FXA UD5) just using pci vga card nvidia 6XXXX, the first slot which closes to the cpu, is slot 1( the right side,) and the lowest slot number is on the left side that goes further and closes to one PCI slot.

if you have two or more identical raid/hba. the raid/hba rom will load sequentially during the boot time.
in my scenario: the first adaptec raid has only two raid 5s, and the second adaptec has a OS drive raid1 and a raid 5. where LSI HBA/m1015 and HP P212 in the middle. the OS partition is the last sdX(sdf in my system) in order due on the second adaptec is detected lastly.

Back