Running mail server info needed.

bigstusexy

2[H]4U
Hello, I am now successfully runing a mail server thanks to your help [H] crew. I now have a different question.

ALthough My ISP is slated to start blocking port 25 out bound I will still keep my server up and until then I want to know what to do about my server logs. I have logs that show someone wants to send spam through my server. It is locked down so that isn't happening but is there someplace that I should be sending my logs so that they can help catch and stop spammers?

you can, but 99% of the time, the PC is hijacked anyways.

you would need to contact their ISP's abuse contact, and if they

a) speak english
b) care
c) think it is a violation of their ToS

they may look into, and *may* do something about it. it is usually a lost cause.

I was looking for more of something like a place that will take the info decypher it and compile it.

Do to things like See where the spam is coming from or what spam goes through what zombies etc etc. you know making a contribution to a larger project. I don't really care as it isn't a huge number once they find me secure to actually follow up with individual ISPs and what not.

Check out some info on spamcop and such. I know in squirrelmail I can add on an option to allow users click a link to report a specific messages as spam for thier black lists.

What I mean is that I'll see an entry in my logs that show attemps to try and use my server as a realy. I was asking if this information would be helpful to any place out there.

It is, but unless your kernel is set to do some sort of IP anti-spoofing, its not useful.

If its set up so that the logs are legit, you're going to have problems convincing anyone to care.

Sure there are laws out there, but unless someone can prove a loss, its not going to fly. You might say "They cost me bandwidth and server cpu cycles to reject them" but its not going to fly either....

Its 99% zombies out there. Harden your MTA and be done with it. Spam sucks, but after the first few weeks of looking at logs, it gets pretty damn boring :D

Back