Running into an error when loading Linux

rayman2k2

Supreme [H]ardness
I keep getting a "ACPI: Unable to Load the system description tables" error when I try and install Xubuntu onto an old Abit BP6.

I've found a few things online, most of which say I should try a new disk (I did, twice, and they all gave the same error). Then I found this:

https://bugzilla.redhat.com/long_list.cgi?buglist=167093

It talks about how it doesnt work on systems with an ABIT TH7 mobo, I'm gonna go ahead and guess it might not work on BP6's? Any recommendations on a good linux distro for a BP6 with 2x 366mhz Celly's, 256MB of ram and a 36gb + 200gb hdd? I want it to function as a torrent box, local webserver and backup server. Suggestions or some advice on getting Xubuntu working?

If you're gonna use it as a server and still want a flavor of Ubuntu. I'd personally go for Ubuntu Server.

No GUI so it won't bog down the system to bad.

Only bad part is you have to set it up through SSH. Now, I've tried setting up a torrent server through SSH and it is a complete bitch (atleast for me it was).

If you insist on having a GUI I'd try DSL but, I'm not to sure about the ability to run it as a server.

If you're gonna use it as a server and still want a flavor of Ubuntu. I'd personally go for Ubuntu Server.

No GUI so it won't bog down the system to bad.

Only bad part is you have to set it up through SSH. Now, I've tried setting up a torrent server through SSH and it is a complete bitch (atleast for me it was).

If you insist on having a GUI I'd try DSL but, I'm not to sure about the ability to run it as a server.

Yeah, I was thinking about an Ubuntu Server instead of xubuntu. What do you mean I have to set it up in SSH? Can I use Remote Desktop to Ubuntu Server or even connect a keyboard, etc to it?

Also, I'm still having the "ACPI: Unable to Load the system description tables" error when I tried to install Ubuntu Server. Any ideas as to how to get around it?

Have you tried adding noacpi when you boot it? If all you are using it for is a torrent box, web and backup server using Ubuntu Server wouldn't be hard a all and the system would also wouldn't use up as much of you resources. After the initial install of the Ubuntu Server you would then apt-get install ssh openssh-server and of course set a static IP Address on the box in /etc/network/interfaces so that after ssh is installed and the system is running you can ssh into the box, if you are using a M$ system as you main system you will need Putty and WinSCP to make your life easier.

What do you mean I have to set it up in SSH? Can I use Remote Desktop to Ubuntu Server or even connect a keyboard, etc to it?

SSH = Secure Shell.

No, you can't remote desktop. Ubuntu Server has NO GUI (its CLI only). Yea, you could have it hooked up to a monitor and use a keyboard... might make it a little easier since you're there at the system.

Have you tried adding noacpi when you boot it? If all you are using it for is a torrent box, web and backup server using Ubuntu Server wouldn't be hard a all and the system would also wouldn't use up as much of you resources. After the initial install of the Ubuntu Server you would then apt-get install ssh openssh-server and of course set a static IP Address on the box in /etc/network/interfaces so that after ssh is installed and the system is running you can ssh into the box, if you are using a M$ system as you main system you will need Putty and WinSCP to make your life easier.

Yep, I have Putty (came installed with my laptop through school, UMD provides Unix Shell accounts for each student)

I'll try the noacpi thing but how would I go about doing that?

Okay, I got ACPI disabled, however now, during the install, a bar pops up under the Xubuntu logo, and it goes from left to right and back again...now it freezes and the system just hangs.

Any ideas?

Okay, I got ACPI disabled, however now, during the install, a bar pops up under the Xubuntu logo, and it goes from left to right and back again...now it freezes and the system just hangs.

Any ideas?

I just did an install yesterday of Ubuntu but am not 100% sure but I think you can hit F2 and see the processes it is running and thus see where it is hanging. You could try the alt cd and do a text base install if you have to have a GUI and you then should know more.

Not sure if it's different when booting from a CD rather than booting from an installed system, but during bootup its Alt-F1 to go from the orange status bar to the console and see whats actually happening.

To fix your issue, when the machine boots up and you see the Grub window. Highlight the selection that normally loads by default and simply type the letter "e" for edit. Then select the "kernel" line (there should be 3 line entries & kernel should be the middle one) and again select "e". This will allow you edit the kernel line. At the end of he line, type apm=off.

Then press "b" for boot to enable the new mod which should allow your machine to properly boot.

Carlos, the way I am reading it is that the issue is while you is trying to install the system. He will need to make his edits with the boot options and then once installed edit the grub menu.

hmm, I tried apm=off anyways since i can edit the install boot config, but that didnt do much. I did, however, take a look at the text instead of the progress bar thing and I saw this:

Pata_hpt366 0000:00:13.1: failed to request/iomap BAR4
Bad IO Access At Port 0x0 ()
Bad IO Access At Port 0x0 ()

I have a feeling that the pata chip that controls two of the IDE channels on the Abit BP6 is causing some problems. Unfortunately, I have no choice but to use them since the BP6 does not allow you to boot from the other two channels.

Ugh, any idea how to get around this? Thanks for all your help guys

With a google search of Ubuntu Abit BP6 shows that there are others running it without a problem. What is the line before the Pata_hpt366 0000:00:13.1: failed to request/iomap BAR4

Sorry didnt have any time lately to get back to this, but the the Pata_hpt366 line is the first one to show up after a line talking about ACPI being enabled.

Wait, didn't you say you had it disabled?

LOL yes, probably should have clarified. After trying all of the above, I hit up the BIOS settings and lo and behold, it was disabled in the BIOS. I enabled it and was able to get past that part.

Back