Running Fallout or Diablo 2 fullscreen?

Nugget

Weaksauce
I'm stuck with my old laptop while you bastards are playing Bioshock, so I've returned to some old favorites -- Fallout and Diablo 2. Problem is that Fallout runs at an unchangeable 640x480, and D2 runs at the same though there's apparently some sort of LOD hack that gets you to all of 800x600.

On a 12" laptop screen running 1024x768, that means I'm left with an illegibly small screen area to work with. The games appear in a 640x480 block in the middle of the screen, surrounded by a black border. I tried dropping my laptop's resolution down to the minimum 800x600, but all that did was to achieve the same thing -- black border, small screen -- for my desktop and entire system.

Can somebody suggest some sort of hack to get my laptop to display 800x600 or 640x480 fullscreen? The graphics subsystem is a crappy onboard S3 Unichrome IGP, if that helps.

One more thing. I've got my 21" CRT hooked up as a secondary monitor, and can set that as low as 800x600. Unfortunately, I'm too stupid to know how to tell WinXP to run a game on the secondary monitor. Ideas?

Poke around your BIOS - there should be some sort of setting in there about stretching the screen or something. Had this on an older laptop myself.

Thanks, that's looking like a workable solution. I had thought pixel interpolation was ugly at higher nonnative resolutions, but damn it's hideous when dropping down to VGA!

im Anti-fanboy, pro competition, i buy whatever fits my needs at the best pricepoint possible, i went 6800NU on my first big build because it was in my price point and offered the best performance (arguably the 6600gt would have worked, but there was no unlock option ;) ) my current build was a 7950gx2, because it fit best in my price point: free (heheh dont ask :p ) if i were to build a new rig on my same budget (1500) it would be an 8800GTS coupled probably with a C2d or C2q

Dont let branding suck you in, theyre close enough in terms of drivers and image quality that the only deterrent to buying a brand should be performance for your money. dont give me the ATi will fix the 2900 crap, and i wont give you the nVidia's cards work fine now, so buy one of those line. get your head out of sand and realize theyre eating your money and giving you a lesser product in return.

im Anti-fanboy, pro competition, i buy whatever fits my needs at the best pricepoint possible, i went 6800NU on my first big build because it was in my price point and offered the best performance (arguably the 6600gt would have worked, but there was no unlock option ;) ) my current build was a 7950gx2, because it fit best in my price point: free (heheh dont ask :p ) if i were to build a new rig on my same budget (1500) it would be an 8800GTS coupled probably with a C2d or C2q

Dont let branding suck you in, theyre close enough in terms of drivers and image quality that the only deterrent to buying a brand should be performance for your money. dont give me the ATi will fix the 2900 crap, and i wont give you the nVidia's cards work fine now, so buy one of those line. get your head out of sand and realize theyre eating your money and giving you a lesser product in return.

Wrong thread?

Besides BIOS options, the control panel for your video drivers should let you set the resolution scaling as well.

I'm stuck with my old laptop while you bastards are playing Bioshock, so I've returned to some old favorites -- Fallout and Diablo 2. Problem is that Fallout runs at an unchangeable 640x480, and D2 runs at the same though there's apparently some sort of LOD hack that gets you to all of 800x600.

On a 12" laptop screen running 1024x768, that means I'm left with an illegibly small screen area to work with. The games appear in a 640x480 block in the middle of the screen, surrounded by a black border. I tried dropping my laptop's resolution down to the minimum 800x600, but all that did was to achieve the same thing -- black border, small screen -- for my desktop and entire system.

Can somebody suggest some sort of hack to get my laptop to display 800x600 or 640x480 fullscreen? The graphics subsystem is a crappy onboard S3 Unichrome IGP, if that helps.

The native resolution for D2 is 640x480 the expansion introduced 800x600 you cant go any higher than that resolution wise.

By legendz411

Back