Running data recovery software on an ex timecapsule disk (HFS+)

murye

n00b
Hello,

Ok, so this is a peculiar problem, I'll try to explain it as much as I can. I'm not very savvy with computers, please bear with me.

Main goal: Run a data recovery software on a functioning Timecapsule disk to retrieve deleted photos.

After some googling, turns out I cant run data recovery software over ethernet, or it is going to be extremely difficult to. The timecapsule only allows me to connect to the disk by ethernet or wireless. So I had to take out the disk.

I extracted the 3TB hard disk from the dying timecapsule, and connected it to my Win10 machine by old sata way. The disk was recognized (in Disk Management) but could not be accessed (couldnt see it in My PC). After some googling, turns out I need something like Paragon HFS+ to access the filesystem (HFS+), so I got that and now I can access the files on disk. However, Stellaris couldnt run the recovery properly (always yield 0 results). Is it because of the read-only access that I have to the disk (provided by Paragon HFS+)?
Is there some way to perform the data recovery on an HFS+ disk on a Win10 machine?

If I didnt describe something properly or more information is needed please let me know, I am not that good with these issues, sorry about that.

You definitely WANT read-only access. You don't want to double click the partition in disk management. You don't want to format it.
As for the recovery, I recommend trying Photorec. It understands HFS, and you'll get results alright, lots of duplicates, lots of random filenames, lots of corrupted copies of the same files. But you'll get results :D
Unless the drive is toast and simply doesn't want to talk to the controller.

You definitely WANT read-only access. You don't want to double click the partition in disk management. You don't want to format it.
As for the recovery, I recommend trying Photorec. It understands HFS, and you'll get results alright, lots of duplicates, lots of random filenames, lots of corrupted copies of the same files. But you'll get results :D
Unless the drive is toast and simply doesn't want to talk to the controller.

Thank you! I'll try that right away and report the results.

Back