Running bigadv on xeon v2 only 32 threads (solved)

terrabyte89

Weaksauce
Hi guys,

Not sure if this is deserving of it's own thread but I couldn't find quite where it belongs.

Installed the folding appliance on my new 2P E5-2680v2 machine. So it's 20 cores, 40 threads in total. When I start f@h it only runs 32 threads though. I've checked and ubuntu is seeing all 40 threads and only 32 are loaded up when folding is running.

I'm hoping there is a quick switch I can add to tell it to use 40 threads but for the life of me I can't find it. Any ideas? :)

Thanks everyone!

Solved now: Finally got the search terms right haha. smp -44 maps back to 40 threads so it's all good. Thanks guys! :)

Last edited:
post a copy of the fah log in the code brackets here if you could, or a pastebin.

What flags are set ?

A bit terrible at the moment haha. She's running just under 300kppd on an 8104. I believe this is due to my memory though. I didn't realise 2p need ecc ram. So while I'm waiting on my new stuff I'm running single channel 1333 that I borrowed. It's my understanding that these chips love memory bandwidth for good ppd. So I'll see when my quad chanel 1600 ecc arrives

Not 100% sure ECC helps folding on a I2P, but running 4 channel is a must in my experience.
What clock are you able to run those CPUs?

The version 2 e5 xeons will not run in a 2P configuration without ecc memory on this board.
I don't think the z9pe-d16 (not d8) has much in the way of ocing ability. But they just released a new bios for my evga sr-x that supports these chips, so I might give that a go.

EDIT: Sorry for the misleading post, meant to say without ecc memory on this board.

Last edited:
To add to this, it looks like it needs to be specific memory that is on your mobo compatibility list, otherwise no 2p

The version 2 e5 xeons will not run in a 2P configuration without ecc memory.

I haven't heard this elsewhere. Is this statement motherboard-specific or inherent in the 2600 v2? Is there any info from Intel about this? Thanks.

The huge Z9PE thread over at OCN mentions it, and my previous post is based on personal experience gained the hard way over the last 2 weeks

The huge Z9PE thread over at OCN mentions it, and my previous post is based on personal experience gained the hard way over the last 2 weeks

Thanks. From perusing that thread, it appears that the problem with the Z9PE not supporting non-ECC when using dual 2600v2 was fixed in BIOS 5206. See http://www.overclock.net/t/1261060/asus-z9pe-d8-owners-thread/840. Asus FAQ discusses this at http://www.asus.com/support/Knowledge-Detail/1/42/Z9PED8_WS/AEECB203-03E9-4DDD-A8A4-6C84909481FD/. So, the problem is not inherent in the chips, but depends on the motherboard and BIOS.

I might try non-ECC in a 2x 2680v2 with the ASRock EP2C602-4L/D16, and will share my experience if I do.

Hahaha, sorry, I left out the bit on the end of my post that said "on this board".'

edit: Thanks for the extra info wilkie, it's a pity they don't have the 5206 bios released for the D16 yet, wouldn't mind flashing that and seeing what it does.

It's a good news that Asus has solved this problem.
As far as I see, Supermicro's boards still need ECC rams to support dual E5 v2.
Looking forward to your results on Asrock's boards.

Thanks. From perusing that thread, it appears that the problem with the Z9PE not supporting non-ECC when using dual 2600v2 was fixed in BIOS 5206. See http://www.overclock.net/t/1261060/asus-z9pe-d8-owners-thread/840. Asus FAQ discusses this at http://www.asus.com/support/Knowledge-Detail/1/42/Z9PED8_WS/AEECB203-03E9-4DDD-A8A4-6C84909481FD/. So, the problem is not inherent in the chips, but depends on the motherboard and BIOS.

I might try non-ECC in a 2x 2680v2 with the ASRock EP2C602-4L/D16, and will share my experience if I do.

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Do they handle spice well?

The answer might be 'No'. In the release notes of Intel S2600 series boards it said:

- Added C0 microcode version 0x405 for Intel(R) Xeon processor E5-4600/2600/2400 v2.
NOTE:This BIOS does *not* support Intel(R) Xeon processor E5-4600/2600/2400 v2 steppings earlier than C0.
See http://downloadmirror.intel.com/23040/eng/ReleaseNotes_BIOS_01_08_0003.txt

However, most IVB ES chips available at the moment are of B1/B2 stepping.

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
The seller just approved my offer for 2 boards at $150 each. I guess we'll see if they support my SB-E B0 or C0 chips.

Do they handle spice well?

Yes. Just update the BIOS. Nice think about these boards is they works with the Spicy 4650's (V1) right out of the box with the factory BIOS. Was any old version too. Current BIOS (R02.01.0002) seems to perform well V1 and V2.

NOTE: You want to update the BIOS, BMC, and FRU configuration data right away. If for no other reason that the FRU FRU configuration data will allow you to define which fans you actually have connected. Otherwise these server and workstation class boards will keep all fans spinning at top speed. Think of it this way. If a single system fan has a fault then the other fans will be spun up to make up the airflow difference.

My boards run fairly silent after the FRU config.

Last edited:
Which one of the two boards listed above have you tested with v2 chips?
Oh, and thanks for the info :)

I think Core32 is referring to ES v2 chips? In that case these boards won't work even with a BIOS update.
For v2 chips, intel S2600xx boards work with C0 and above stepping only.

[H]ecklerKoc[H];1040393019 said:
S2600CP2IOC
S2600COE

They work with E5 4650, but I know that's not what you're asking. I have one here and 2 more on the way

The wonders of some extra ram. Got all 8 sticks in there 1600C11 ECC REG dimms. Sitting just above 500k ppd on an 8105 and around 360-370k ppd on a crappy 8101.

Outproduces my 4P opteron machine (6164HE's @ ~2.2ghz) by a small margin on the easy work units and by around 20% on the 8101's.

The wonders of some extra ram. Got all 8 sticks in there 1600C11 ECC REG dimms. Sitting just above 500k ppd on an 8105 and around 360-370k ppd on a crappy 8101.

What clock they running at? Those numbers are roughly the same as my 2p @ 2.1ghz with 12c/24t chips

Any one added GPUs to one of these motherboards for folding, etc.?

Hey, I have 2 E5-4640v1 that I need a board for and this board seems promising. Has anyone ran any 1600 desktop memory like these, or that could tell me if non-ECC would be an option for this board?

Also would a standard Desktop PSU work for this, I have an OCZ Gold 1000w?

Last edited:
Hey, I have 2 E5-4640v1 that I need a board for and this board seems promising. Has anyone ran any 1600 desktop memory like these, or that could tell me if non-ECC would be an option for this board?

Also would a standard Desktop PSU work for this, I have an OCZ Gold 1000w?

I'm fairly certain this board requires ECC RAM like most server boards. You should be able to find cheap 1GB ECC DIMMs on eBay. Also, you can live with 1333MHz RAM on a dual E5-4640. The 1600MHz RAM does not buy you anything.

You can find memory test results here (would not work in Chrome for me):
http://serverconfigurator2.intel.com/sctthol.aspx?search=Server+Board+S2600CO4

Hi guys,

Not sure if this is deserving of it's own thread but I couldn't find quite where it belongs.

Installed the folding appliance on my new 2P E5-2680v2 machine. So it's 20 cores, 40 threads in total. When I start f@h it only runs 32 threads though. I've checked and ubuntu is seeing all 40 threads and only 32 are loaded up when folding is running.

I'm hoping there is a quick switch I can add to tell it to use 40 threads but for the life of me I can't find it. Any ideas? :)

Thanks everyone!

Solved now: Finally got the search terms right haha. smp -44 maps back to 40 threads so it's all good. Thanks guys! :)
terrabyte89,
Can you please elaborate on how you were able to get 40 as valid cores without the message "Mapping NT 40 to 32"? Thanks.

Configuring the client with -smp 44 parameter will make FahCore run 40 threads.

You could go about reconfiguring the client for -smp 44... or give me an hour or two.
I've got an idea....

Tear got it for me. When you run fah -config. One of the parameters is -smp, which makes it detect he number of cores automatically. But it doesn't like 40 threads for some reason. Changing it to smp 44 maps it to 40 threads and it works as it should.

Configuring the client with -smp 44 parameter will make FahCore run 40 threads.

You could go about reconfiguring the client for -smp 44... or give me an hour or two.
I've got an idea....

Thanks tear. Thanks terrabyte89

Wasn't connecting the advanced options [yes] to the smp option. I'll change it as soon as this current WU finishes around 11 tonight.

Back