Running a new phone and DSL line.

Justintoxicated

[H]F Junkie
So the house I purchased only has a phone line that leads to, get this, a plug behind the kitchen cabinet. So I would need to keep my phone in the kitchen cabinet lol.

I have DSL on order and the phone company is no help. They want to put a wireless modem / router in my kitchen cabinet :rolleyes:. According tot hem all the wiring from inside my house to the box is up to me.

So I have cut a box into the office and fished a new Cat5 cable through the attic. I have not connected the line to the jack or to their box.

I need to find a site that explains how to hook a new cat5 cable to the phone companies box. I'm going to be running both a phone and DSL (2 lines)
I know what I want in theory I just don't know how to physically hook it up at the box, or the best way to hook it up to the phone jack. I want a pair of wires connected with the existing line (phone) and a second pair of wires to be connected for the internets.

However when looking at the phone companies box its a mess and I don't simply see 2 wires being used for the exiting line that is run to the inside of my kitchen cabinet.

Can I setup the single phone jack in the office as a 2 line phone jack that would work with the DSL modem or do I physically need 2 plugs?

Also I can snap a picture of the box this weekend, but are there any sites that explain how to do this with pictures of real boxes? I found this, but when staring at the box I'm not sure what to do. http://www.ling.upenn.edu/~kurisuto/phone_wiring.html. Also, I'm not familiar with a 2 line jack and its a bit confusing that a phone only need 2 wires but then it shows 4.

I also found this site which show a picture of a newer phone box that looks nothing like mine.
http://www.ehow.com/how_5303627_hook-box-telephone-network-interface.html
House is a 1960s structure, if that helps.

Last edited:
Just run the cat 5 cable to the box outside and then use the same color leads on the wiring block outside for the telephone company.

Not sure how old the line is however on the telephone box

If there are only 2 pairs... like it shows in that link from upenn. use the following pairs

white blue, blue, white orange, orange take the stripe the sleeves so that you have a nice copper wire to attach to the box where the other wires are coming in.

on the other end of the cable make sure you use white blue, blue, white orange and orange on your telephone jack.

If you compare the way the phone line in the kitchen is connected and the way it is connected to the telephone box and just do the same with the new line it should work!

Otherwise... I would just pay the telephone guy the $100/hr to terminate the ends for you after you pulled the line over if it sounds too complicated...

Can I setup the single phone jack in the office as a 2 line phone jack that would work with the DSL modem or do I physically need 2 plugs?

Yes you can setup a 2 line phone jack, telephone only uses a single pair so using a keystone jack like this one will allow for 2 lines on a single jack.

As far as how to connect to the phone company's interface... well that's a whole different story, do they have a punch down block? If so you'll need a punch down tool, a picture would be helpful. You can also check out www.homephonewiring.com for some diagrams and tips.

I know it seems a little daunting but take some time and do a little research and it isn't too bad.

http://www.homephonewiring.com/

Check out the link above.. That is how I rewired my house.

http://www.homephonewiring.com/dsl.html

Not sure if that link is what you want, but its also what I used to create my own dsl splitter for voice and data. I have a dedicated jack for DSL and nothing else and then nothing else in my house is filtered

26e1f145.jpg

8c053baf.jpg

Yes you can setup a 2 line phone jack, telephone only uses a single pair so using a keystone jack like this one will allow for 2 lines on a single jack.

only if your phone has line 1, line 2 buttons, or you use one of those ancient line switch boxes.
otherwise the phone will only use the line 1.

After reading that home phone wiring link I'm completely lost and I can't believe the provider does not set anything up. Some of the systems from that site seem over complicated for my needs.

I have an old 4 wire phone line in place, and the new Cat5 line that I ran. The old 4 line cable is "Star Topology" because there is only one phone line in the entire house (and it is run to the inside of my kitchen cabinet!).

Without the company providing a Spliter and Filter how the hell did they expect me to achieve reasonable speeds with an old 4 wire cable!

Do I really need a 66 block to connect the 2 wires? The way the company explained it was that the DSL would sounded like it would be on a separate line, but that does not sound like the system the homephonewiring site is describing. The one thing that I was trying to do that the site seems to suggest against was using the new cat5e cable to support both a phone and the DSL connection in my office? Should I run a second Cat5 line for the the office phone?

I will try to get a picture of the box tonight. But it sounds like I am missing the required DSL splitter. I certainly don't have the money right now to pay some dude $100 an hour to connect a couple wires. As far as using the existing phone wires to and plugging additional wires in to those terminals, I am not sure that this is a good idea either. When I last checked there were 3 wires connected, and there were 6 terminals total, non of them appear to be labeled or color coordinated. WTH!

Last edited:
the DSL signal is sent along the same pair that also feeds the telephone.
DSL uses a much higher frequency, which is how both sets of signals can exist on the same line.

A DSL filter is required for all phones, to prevent feedback, and because sometimes the DSL signal can "bleed over" to the POTS side.

for a standard DSL line, no provider up here does the install for free, and paying them to run new line is definitely costly.

If you only have 1 phone line, you only need to use 1 pair. Tip and ring. It really doesn't matter which you make tip and which you make ring, as long as they are wired up the same way at both ends.

And no, a 66-block is not necessary.

Like the other guys said a 66 block is not needed at all. I just happened to have a neighbor that is a phone guy. Had an extra one laying around so I snagged it from him and wired it up.

Just confirming what the others said... A single phone line uses one pair, the inside two wires (red and green by phone standards). A second line can be run on the outside pair (black and yellow) also, but it requires a special two-line phone. Most devices nowadays only have the middle two wires connected even. All the US plugs I've seen are RJ14 (4 wire) even though most are only wired for RJ11 (2 wire).

All you need to do is wire up the red and green terminals in your phone box (like j-sta's pic) to the red and green terminals on your internal phone jack. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RJ11,_RJ14,_RJ25#Pinouts has the color codes if you want to follow the standard with your Cat5. Like j-sta said, the DSL signal is on the same pair as your analog phone signal, so you don't need a second line (unless you actually ordered your DSL on a second phone number) but you do need filters to keep the DSL signal out of the phones.

If you get a "DSL modem install kit" (retail box) it'll usually come with a bunch of filters, or you can buy them at just about any store that sells phone cords now. You can either install a filter on each phone, or you can install a single filter near your box and run the unfiltered output to your DSL modem and the filtered output split off to all your phones. The downside of that is that your DSL modem will not work in the "phone" jacks if you ever decide to rearrange things. The upside is that you don't need to remember a filter on every phone/device you plug in.

One option is to wire the DSL filter into the red/green wires coming from the telco. Coming out of the filter, you'll have a filtered red/green pair for phone and an unfiltered red/green pair for DSL. Run the filtered red/green phone pair into the normal Line1 phone wiring for your house. Now any jack you hook up to that will have a regular phone signal on Line1. Run the unfiltered red/green DSL pair into the yellow/black Line2 wires. You'll now have unfiltered DSL signal on Line2 at any jack in the house. Now you just have to convert the Line2 output to match the DSL modem's Line1 input. You can either make a "crossover" phone cable (run the outer pair of one end to the inner pair of the other end) or you can wire up a special jack for the DSL with the Line2 wires connected to the Line1 terminals (just like in the UPenn conversion pic). The crossover cable means that you don't have to have any jacks specially wired for the modem, but it also means the modem won't work with a regular phone cord.

you are not really setting up ethernet. with a phone line it is probably hard to screw it up. as long as you stick to your own wiring you should not have any issues. you should follow the colors in the diagrams to be precise, but essentially you are connecting a pair from the cat5 to red green on both sides. If you have two lines then you connect two pairs.

note that you will probably get a dsl splitter like the image above. it goes into the wall jack, phone line goes in one side dsl line goes in the other.

traditionally dsl problems have been caused by multiple runs of wiring in the house. because it is hard to mess up people could do anything and the phones would work. dsl is pickier, but if you have a single run of wiring that doesn't connect to anything else you should not have any problems.

one other thing, you don't need a two line phone to use a second line. you just connect the black/yellow pairs to red/green in the jack and you are good for that phone.

Sorta but it is different. Perhaps the red green terminals are hidden in the part marked telephone company access only?

hm.. guess I'd have to see it. Sounds like an oooooold NID if the internal wiring does not terminate on the customer accessible side of the NID.

if it is an old NID... you may be able to get them to replace it (which shouldn't cost you anything)

Last edited:
Thanks everyone. Sounds like what I want is a single filter near the NID run the old phone line and a pair off the CAt5E cable off the filtered terminals, and a pair off the unfiltered.

Is it safe to run both a phone and DSL off the same CATE5E cable though, or will I lose signal?

Also I picked up a box terminal jack for the inside of the house that has COAX and phone (not y et hooked up to the end of the Cat5e and Coax that I ran). I'm wondering if I can find one that has 2 phones and a COAX? I guess I would always pickup another cut in box box if not. COAX cable if for intended use for TV or MoCA (if my satellite TV won't conflict with it).

you don't use the filter until the wall jack. using it before that adds copper which diminishes the signal somewhat. For the wall jack go to home depot, should should be able to find some that support 3 jacks. but you only need 2, one for coax and the other for phone. the splitter will go outside it. not the prettiest but it will work. note, if your telco sends you a dsl install kit it might include a slide plate (old phone style) and a built in splitter.

you don't use the filter until the wall jack. using it before that adds copper which diminishes the signal somewhat.

Wouldn't say this to be 100% accurate. IF you look back at my pictures that is the only filter in my house. Never slowed down the DSL or degraded any voice quality.

It kind of went something like this:

Telco ----- NID ----- DSL Filter On Single Jack --------- Phone Lines (No Filters)
---------- Dedicated DSL Jack (NO Filter)

All works fine. Last 2 houses I've lived in works well that way

Yeah, you can do it that way, no doubt it is fine, but it adds a little bit of complexity. In the past dsl installers would set up dedicated lines for people with weak signals. it would also make sense if you don't want to mess around with filters inside the house, although you will need to rewire the dsl jack.

if you had a old nid box like this:
draycon3.jpg

your setup would need to be like this:

2qsm8nd.jpg

this is how I did a customer dsl with verizon when she had a older style of nid box.

Looked at the box and found the Green/Red labels (stickers). It'a frigging mess though but it looks pretty straight forward (as far as what I need to do) after reading up using everyones advice and links on here.

I'd prefer the outside wall mount filter, but will likely just use whatever they mail to me for now. Either way does not seem very complex at this point. I should not need to modify anything in either case because nothing is installed yet (no existing phone line jack for the DSL/Phone in the office.).

I'll try to post a pic of the box later but very busy moving. Taking my PC offline now!

Didn't read this whole thing. So ignore this if it's wrong.

The phone company should be able to hook that up for you no problem. Anytime I've ordered a line, 1 jack is included in the cost. And even if it's NOT included in the cost... They'll at least hook it up to their box at least. I mean, all they're doing is hooking up your line to their box. They're not running cable through your house.

Back