Running a motherboard without an IO Shield?

ScretHate

[H]ard|Gawd
I recently purchased a Gigabyte Z68 motherboard from Micro Center and when I got home I realized that it didn't come with an IO shield or driver CD. Since it's fairly far from my house, I'm not going to drive up there for a replacement, so I'm wondering if it's safe to run my motherboard without an IO shield present, or how I might be able to acquire one for my specific make and model from Gigabyte.

Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

It's fine to run it without a shield, you just have to tear down your system when you do install it. I would call up gigabyte and ask, I doubt they will charge you for one.

Here's what it looked like when I first opened the box. Notice that the SATA cable is removed from its plastic bag. This was advertised as a new motherboard. I feel like an idiot for not checking before I got home, but I thought Micro Center was a legit business.

Does this look like a BRAND NEW motherboard to anyone? Sure doesn't to me.

Nrd5q.jpg

you'll have to pretty much strip the motherboard of everything but its CPU and possibly heatsync if it's not in the way of anything to install a shield if/when you decide to.

io shields are important when you're wanting static pressure for good airflow and circulation. i recommend keeping your computer on a bench until one arrives and then assemble your parts within its new home.

i/o shield is for a case, but running without one won't hurt, just make you alittle more susceptible to dust if using a case.

man if you paid for that bitch new i'd call the store right now and ask them wtf, and to overnight you one.

i usually just go to sales on automated answering services... it usually leads to a human being fairly fast.

Back