Running a 16 bit application in Windows 10

incredadamible

Weaksauce
I have a 16-bit application that I want to run...problem is I have 64-bit Windows 10 installed and it won't run it. I installed a trial of Windows 10 32-bit on a spare drive and can get it to work perfectly, but I don't want to run at 32-bit outside of this application. I have also tried running virtual machine/XP Mode, but I can't get it to span my two screens (i.e. limited to one monitor). I've also tried Dosbox, but resolution is horrible, and again limited to one screen.

Before I buy another Windows product key, wondering if there are any other solutions that I haven't thought of.

Also, if I do get a second copy of Windows I want to run it off a separate hard drive (i.e. "main" with Windows 64-bit and "spare" with Windows 32-bit). Other than going into the bios and changing the boot priority between the two, is there a way to bring up a selection screen when booting? Or even better, something similar to when you install the OS from disk, it will boot normally unless you press a key.

Virtualbox - and then install whatever OS you need on it.

That way.. you boot to your normal Windows 10. Then if you want to run that program, you just start up Virtualbox and it will load the OS on it in a VM and away you go.

I will give virtual box a try and see how it works. Biggest thing is if I can resize so it fits across two monitors. Do you know if I can install the virtual OS on a separate drive? Or does it have to be on the same drive as the native OS? Kind of annoying to have gigabytes of space taken up on my main system to run a 3mb application.

I will give virtual box a try and see how it works. Biggest thing is if I can resize so it fits across two monitors. Do you know if I can install the virtual OS on a separate drive? Or does it have to be on the same drive as the native OS? Kind of annoying to have gigabytes of space taken up on my main system to run a 3mb application.
You pick where you want the VHD (virtual hard disk) to reside.

Back