Running 4 sticks/16GB but not in dual channel mode. how to?

banks2878

Limp Gawd
I was running 8gb then I picked up another set of identical memory but when I enter my bios it was its in single channel mode. and in windows it's showing I have 16gb but says 7.96 available which im assuming is because the memory is running in single channel mode. I've been outta the game for quite some time now but a few months back I decided to build this computer.. mind you all I really do is surf the web and use my computer as a media center as I have my TV and my radio receiver hooked to it but just wondering how I can get it in dual channel mode?? I will leave my computer complete specs below

Case: Apevia X-Sniper 2 Blue
Motherboard: Asrock 970 Extreme 4
CPU: AMD FX-4300 Quad Core AM3 3.8GHZ
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212
Memory: G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series F3-14900CL8D DDR3 1866 4GBx4=16GB
Video Card: EVGA Nvidia GTX 770 2GB
Sound: Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium
PSU: Corsair HX1000W 1000 Watt Modular Power Supply
Storage: OCZ ARC 100 120GB 2.5" (SSD), Western Digital 2TB 3.5"
CD Rom: LG GH24NS95B 24X SATA DVD Internal Rewriter with M-Disc Support
Cooling: 4 Blue Apevia 120MM Fans, 3 Cooler Master 120MM Fans 2 Blue

Last edited:
Have you tried clearing the CMOS? Also try running the ram at 1333 or 1600 MHz.

You've got some funny business going on between the ram and the board. Basically, you don't really have your new ram active in the system.

I'd play musical chairs with the ram/ram slots and see if you can get all 4 running at the same time.

Last edited:
hey guys I've upgraded the CPU in this system to a 8 core and now this happened again and I've swapped some sticks around again and no luck on it going into dual channel yet.

i'm really unsure wat it could be I spent a little bit of time just swapping the sticks all around. never got into dual mode it still shows I have 16gb but only 7.96gb usable, it's just crazy I had it running perfect with the fx4300 for months now in dual. very odd!

Do you have the latest BIOS available for your motherboard?

You may need to bump up the RAM voltage a tiny bit to make all 4 sticks work properly together.

It could also be a bad stick of RAM, the CPU socket, the CPU, the motherboard... who knows at this point.

Have you tried only 2 of the sticks in the proper slots for dual channel?

Do you have the latest BIOS available for your motherboard?

You may need to bump up the RAM voltage a tiny bit to make all 4 sticks work properly together.

It could also be a bad stick of RAM, the CPU socket, the CPU, the motherboard... who knows at this point.
yup got the lastest bios. I'm really not firmiliar with bumpin up the voltage I may get in over my head lol.also I did revert back to the fx4300 that I had the ram running in dual channel with and it still isn't so I think I may have messed something up.

Have you tried only 2 of the sticks in the proper slots for dual channel?
yea I have but I thought if u only had 2 sticks in like 1 in a1 and other in b1 is was still single channel?? basically what I'm saying I thought u had to run 4 sticks to get dual channel??? I personally have no idea

yea I have but I thought if u only had 2 sticks in like 1 in a1 and other in b1 is was still single channel?? basically what I'm saying I thought u had to run 4 sticks to get dual channel??? I personally have no idea

No, look in your motherboard manual. You motherboard has 2 channels, you only need 2 sticks to make it dual channel. The manual will tell you which slots to use for dual channel.

Back