Run Windows 95 In Your Browser

HardOCP News

[H] News
You guys really should try this out. It's pretty cool to see a 19 year old developer bring a 20 year old operating system to the masses through your browser. Old school Freecell anyone?

You can fiddle around and have a bit of nostalgia (or, if you are one of the newer generations, a learning experience), but anything you do won't be saved, it's entirely ephemeral. This is because the disk image resides in a temporary filesystem (i.e. your device's RAM) and will be lost once you leave the page.

It's quite impressive that the general layout of operating systems haven't changed in 15-20 years. Windows, OSX and Linux all settled upon their respective layouts in the mid 90's to 2000. And it hasn't had any major changes since then.

I don't see it as a bad thing.

And I do give FULL praise to Windows 95. It completely changed the computer world and set in motion many philosophies that are still with us today (and show no intentions of going away). PC's were a cluster f*ck before Windows 95. If have never had the luxury of dealing with config.sys or autoexec.bat, consider yourself lucky. It was like trying to start a campfire with 2 sticks.....in the rain.

Maybe this will be next.....

hqdefault.jpg

PS, his webpage reminds me of the 90's.....complete with terrible contrast between font and background image :(

Ah, memories of my P150 OCd to 166 with the COAST module upgraded from 256KB to 512KB and the RAM upgraded to 8MB, ISA Sound Blaster and a PCI Diamond Edge 3D with the NV1 (garbage chip). I was thrilled when I got my Rendition V1000 card and could play VQuake with anti-aliasing.

I just realized I haven't updated java in 11 months. Hopefully that fixes my issue....

I'm quite excited to click around in something I haven't used since 98 :)

Well. Since there's nothing on it, might as well play Solitaire.

Hm this just isn't working for me.

Not even after updating Java, regardless of using Chrome or IE.

Any ideas?

Now if she had only said "Linux!"
But it WAS Unix, and not Linux. It's an experimental 3D file browser called Fusion or something like that. It runs on SGI's IRIX, which is Unix System V with BSD extensions.

If have never had the luxury of dealing with config.sys or autoexec.bat, consider yourself lucky.

If I didn't have to mess with those to play my games, I doubt I'd be doing what I do now. I owe most of my career to those two files!

It's quite impressive that the general layout of operating systems haven't changed in 15-20 years. Windows, OSX and Linux all settled upon their respective layouts in the mid 90's to 2000. And it hasn't had any major changes since then.

I don't see it as a bad thing.

And I do give FULL praise to Windows 95. It completely changed the computer world and set in motion many philosophies that are still with us today (and show no intentions of going away). PC's were a cluster f*ck before Windows 95. If have never had the luxury of dealing with config.sys or autoexec.bat, consider yourself lucky. It was like trying to start a campfire with 2 sticks.....in the rain.

Maybe this will be next.....

[im g]https://i.ytimg.com/vi/zaRHU1XxMJQ/hqdefault.jpg[/img]

PCs were a fustercluck before and during Windows95. Damn thing was about as stable as a hormonal teenager off their emo drugs. W95 did usher in a ton of new things, but don't let nostalgia get in the way of how bad those early OSes were.

Didn't work for me, and now it's on Yahoo News, probably overloaded and DMCA on the way ... but that Windows 93 one was worth a few laughs

PCs were a fustercluck before and during Windows95. Damn thing was about as stable as a hormonal teenager off their emo drugs. W95 did usher in a ton of new things, but don't let nostalgia get in the way of how bad those early OSes were.

LOL. The first thing I did was open media player and start Canyon.mid (which worked) to get some background music and then I went to My Computer and set it to show hidden files so I could tinker some stuff and then the thing crashed on the spot. Not sure if that was intentional but it gave me a good nostalgic chuckle. :D

Computers were actually quite good back then, especially with OS/2 Warp or the Amiga with OS 2.04. Windows 95 was actually very stable compared to Windows 3.11, I even remember playing multiple DOS based games each inside a separate DOS window and it works well. It has been a long time but computers were much funner back then in many ways.

PC's were a cluster f*ck before Windows 95. If have never had the luxury of dealing with config.sys or autoexec.bat, consider yourself lucky. It was like trying to start a campfire with 2 sticks.....in the rain.
As opposed to, say, trying to edit the registry to remove all the crap a misbehaving program left there? Oh yeah. I had about 100 different sets of autoexec.bat and config.sys, as well as batch files that copied them to disk and rebooted my machine, with all sorts of configurations and memory management, and could make any program or game run just fine. And the copy and reboot was way quicker than booting win95 or anything afterwards until we got SSD's.
PCs were a fustercluck before and during Windows95. Damn thing was about as stable as a hormonal teenager off their emo drugs.
And still are. Unless you wrote the installation procedure, you don't know what the program dumps into the registry, and what it does. At least autoexec.bat, config.sys, win.ini and system.ini were all easily decypherable. The registry? Not chance. Microsofr knew it was creating something beyond most people's ability to deal with it by making it so complex, it would be virtually impossible for the user to deal with it. How many entries/folders do you have to check? Thousands? instead of two or four?
Dos and Win 3.1 at least were decypherable. The registry, not a chance. They knew what they were doing; disabling the capacity of the customer to fix his own product. Lets not forget that Windows still fills our machines with crap. Dos never did that. Delete a program's directory, and all the crap was gone.
W95 did usher in a ton of new things, but don't let nostalgia get in the way of how bad those early OSes were
Dos 5 ran just fine, solid as a rock. That's what fooled a whole generation of us into thinking microsoft had it's sh!t together.....until they introduced doublespace with Dos 6 a year later, trying to steal Stacker's market, and screwed up millions of people's data.

Microsofr knew it was creating something beyond most people's ability to deal with it by making it so complex, it would be virtually impossible for the user to deal with it.
If you really want to know how to see what crap a program puts in your registry, it's possible to export the registry before installing, and export after. You can run a diff on the two files to find out what changed. The export is a text file.

This isn't realistic at all. Where's the illegal operation error every half hour?

If you really want to know how to see what crap a program puts in your registry, it's possible to export the registry before installing, and export after. You can run a diff on the two files to find out what changed. The export is a text file.
I've figured out how to do things (I'm not a programmer, but I can figure out work arounds for pretty much anything). I'm saying that most people won't, and that MS intentionally made it more difficult: The reasoning isn't known, because MS won't tell us. They just want everyone to believe that everything they do is benevolent for their customers, which obviously isn't the case. Hiding things from your customer isn't benevolent. Manipulating market share to drive competition out of business until your product is the only one left isn't benevolent. Pushing the win10 install on unwary customers isn't benevolent, as one guy over on Rennlist discovered the hard way, and wound up buying a new computer thanks to the win10 automatic 'upgrade', and I'm sure there are plenty of other people out there that were affected by this.

I have recently found the first Hard Drive my father have had used in their first PC at his job.
It's a Conner Peripherals 210 MB.
After way over 10 years of laying dormant, it spun up perfectly on a P35/ICH9 board.
No clicking, no odd noises, no freezing or stuttering.
I was about to disconnect it but then... it suddenly appeared onscreen - the Windows 95 loading screen.
Bare metal. Sadly it failed to load completely but with some tinkering it probably would.
No caching, no SMART, no nothing. The files were still there - with their 90s timestamps :) and readable.
One day I'll try to get it to work because the loading screen and Brian Eno's soundscapes (loading screen etc) always get me sentimental and to me it was synonymous with my first time on the internet.

Pretty much. There were many, many "win95 nukes" types of programs for dealing with annoying people on IRC. You couldn't do that to someone on 98 and beyond.

Back