Run Starcraft in 800px on Widescreen monitor?

I have a widescreen (1440x990) monitor and I want to run Starcraft in 800x600. Is there any way to do this?

When I run the game at 800x600 (its default and only setting) the screen stretches and "squashes" the images to compensate for the wide, short Widescreen setup. It's ugly and unplayable.

When running in windowed mode, the mouse leaves the screen and doesn't "lock" into the window. There must be another way to reduce the screen size while keeping the mouse in the window, or some way to keep the game maximized while keeping the screen at 1024.

How is it done?

Star Craft is a great game but it has so many issues as we get more and more advanced.
While on the subject does anyone know how to play SC online with 2 PCs on a lan without it lagging like crazy?

Muugokszhiion said:
I have a widescreen (1440x990) monitor and I want to run Starcraft in 800x600. Is there any way to do this?

When I run the game at 800x600 (its default and only setting) the screen stretches and "squashes" the images to compensate for the wide, short Widescreen setup. It's ugly and unplayable.

When running in windowed mode, the mouse leaves the screen and doesn't "lock" into the window. There must be another way to reduce the screen size while keeping the mouse in the window, or some way to keep the game maximized while keeping the screen at 1024.

How is it done?
First of all, Starcraft's native resolution is 640x480, not 800x600. Secondly, because it doesn't support any additional resolutions whatsoever, defining a custom resolution via registry/.ini/shortcut is impossible. The resolution is an integral part of the game coding, and can therefore only be change by changing the game coding.
The short of it is this - not possible.

{NG}Fidel} said:
Star Craft is a great game but it has so many issues as we get more and more advanced.
While on the subject does anyone know how to play SC online with 2 PCs on a lan without it lagging like crazy?
2 people playing from the same internet connection creates problems with Starcraft's net code, but some people have had success with certain routers and ensuring that ports 6112-6119 inclusive are completely open (not just forwarded to a specific PC, but forwarded to all PCs on the LAN). Not all routers support forwarding to multiple internal IP addresses, so check www.portforward.com for instructions on checking.

I just started messing around with Starcraft again while I wait on my copy of Dawn of War to get here. I was hoping there was a mod to up the resolution to at least 1024x768. It is a shame you can't.

FluxCap said:
I just started messing around with Starcraft again while I wait on my copy of Dawn of War to get here. I was hoping there was a mod to up the resolution to at least 1024x768. It is a shame you can't.

Well hopefully we'll have SC2 by 07

There should be a setting in your display settings for fixed-aspect ratio (for nvidia users it's in the nvidia control panel under display settings). This basically scales the image to fit the screen while keeping the original aspect ratio, which translates to 2 black bars on the side for your WS to display 4:3. If you don't want any scaling at all, there is an option for no scaling.

Back