Run a 2.26 without a cpu fan?

I've got a 533fsb 2.26 p4 cpu cooler that is incredibly loud, and i'd like to make it quieter. Theres a 80mm fan basically right next to where the cpu cooler for system cooling and the system doesn't ever really see a heavy load. Would it be safe to underclock the system a bit and run it without the cpu fan? The heatsink thats on the cpu now is pretty dinky which is of concern but I don't want to blow $40 on some super tower heatsink.

Depending on the shape of the heatsink fins, you may be able to make a exhaust duct between the 80mm case fan and heatsink. That's what Dell and other OEMs do.

The idea is to use the 80mm case fan to pull air from the case through the CPU heatsink fins. See this picture for an example: http://www1.us.dell.com/content/pro...cs=28&l=en&s=dfb&~page=2&~tab=viewstab#tabtop

It's not going to run as cool as before, but it should still run well within temperature limits. The Dimension 2350 used the same case as the 3000 above. I installed an AMD 2400+ (hot sucker) using the same method at full CPU speed and temperatures were surprisingly reasonable with a fanless Volcano 6+ Cu (copper slug aluminum heatsink).

hokatichenci said:
I've got a 533fsb 2.26 p4 cpu cooler that is incredibly loud, and i'd like to make it quieter. Theres a 80mm fan basically right next to where the cpu cooler for system cooling and the system doesn't ever really see a heavy load. Would it be safe to underclock the system a bit and run it without the cpu fan? The heatsink thats on the cpu now is pretty dinky which is of concern but I don't want to blow $40 on some super tower heatsink.

Run speedfan and check the fan rpm and temperatures. If the temperature is too high, you might want to reseat the heatsink and make sure it's properly installed. If the temperatures are not high and your board doesn't allow you to control rpm, then you can spare yourself some cash and do a volt mod. Fans usually run on 12v. The easiest modification is a 7v mod that takes about 2 minutes to do and involves cutting and splicing the wires. I'm too lazy to present it in a way that is most helpful to you. Just do a search on 7v mod if you're interested. Practically every fan I use gets stuck on a fan controller or connected to a modded molex or 3pin extension/split.

That's a northwood core right. Zalman used to make a large copper passive cooler for those.

What is the role of this computer? Web surfing/document writing. Drop it's FSB to 400mhz.

Back