Rumours on MB/MBP updates for tomorrow...Excited?

r2edline

Gawd
MacRumors has been reporting for a while that an expected update for the MBP is coming, and now it is being rumored that a MB update is coming to....tomorrow! Expected included updates are new processors, multi-touch pad (like the Air) and LED screen on the 17" MBP.

What does everyone think? I'm wondering if maybe the MBP will get a bit of a video card update as well (maybe of the 9600/8800 flavor) although thats probably asking too much. Now I have to get rid of my black Macbook 2.16 ASAP!

MacRumors has been reporting for a while that an expected update for the MBP is coming, and now it is being rumored that a MB update is coming to....tomorrow! Expected included updates are new processors, multi-touch pad (like the Air) and LED screen on the 17" MBP.

What does everyone think? I'm wondering if maybe the MBP will get a bit of a video card update as well (maybe of the 9600/8800 flavor) although thats probably asking too much. Now I have to get rid of my black Macbook 2.16 ASAP!

darn I just recently gave my mbp to my gf and got me a cheap macbook off a friend who didnt like macs..

An update would be sweet. I plan on getting a Macbook Pro in a couple of months.

Well, the rumors are at least somewhat right:

Newer processors from 2.4GHz to 2.5GHz.
All have 2gb of memory to start.
All have multi-touch trackpads.
All have at least a 200gb drive.
The minimum amount of graphics memory on your 8600M GT is 256mb with a max of 512mb.
17" does have LED backlighting.

Nice updates.

Anybody find battery life improvements?

Hm 4.5Hours - I believe thats a 30 minute improvement?

Did they upgrade the videocard besides the 128 mb upgrade for the $1999 model or is this the same card but with more ram.

The GPU is the exact same as before, the only difference now is the 17" model has a 512 version.

IMO, the item in most need of an upgrade didn't get one. Come on - why is the 15" MBP display *STILL* only 1440x900?? Grrrrr... Nice to see the 17" get a nice resolution, but the 15" display is still stuck in the year 2004. :(

-Brian

Now they just need to upgrade the mini.

And damit I wish they would throw an express card slot on the macbook or come out with a smaller macbook pro.

im a bit disappointed really.

Really? I'm quite happy, the MBP has everything I want now, with the 256MB video memory and 200GB hard drive, the only thing I need to add is a 4GB kit, but I didn't expect that standard on the base model, and with the price drop I can get it for $1899 (Canadian) with the student discount.

Anyone know the student discount pricing in the US?

*edit -- Nevermind I found it, $1799 for the MBP with the student discount and $999 for the MB. Thats an awesome deal, any students in WA wanna help a fellow student out :cool:

Really? I'm quite happy, the MBP has everything I want now, with the 256MB video memory and 200GB hard drive, the only thing I need to add is a 4GB kit, but I didn't expect that standard on the base model, and with the price drop I can get it for $1899 (Canadian) with the student discount.

Anyone know the student discount pricing in the US?

I can get a 15.4" MBP with 2.4GHz, 2gb of memory, 8600M GT 256, 200GB hard drive, for a price of 1,799USD. I am not up on the exchange rate currently so I am not 100% sure if the price is better or worse.

The CDN loonie has moved up well in the past week, back up above the US dollar:

1.00 CAD = 1.01662 USD

Looks like a good deal for us up here in the igloo

I just ordered mine this morning, I'm pretty excited about that. I was going to buy one a week ago until I heard that they had an update coming, now I'm glad I waited. I can't wait for it to get here, this will be my first Mac :)

I also ordered the black Speck case for it, does anybody have any opinions on that case?

Im looking to off my Current MacBook Pro 2.4GHz / 4GB DDR2 That I bought in August for 1800 ish OBO to buy one of these. I want the newest Technology..... :( But no one wants to buy it.

i wonder if we can download a program to give the old lineup multitab. cause i remember my friend downloading a program called iscrolls to do 2 finger scrolling

From what I've read multi-touch requires different hardware (it uses some Broadcom chip), and can not be done in software. Although I imagine there might be some software that can emulate some of it's capabilities.

Man, I am glad that I waited. 2.4ghz and 256mb video memory + 200 GB hard drive ... that is a blessing. Time to finally buy my macbook pro.

Im happy i plan to get one of the 17" mbp for college!!!

just for battery life and and the fact that its built on unix instead of windows lol

Just bought the 15", 2.5ghz, 512mb video memory, 250GB hard drive. As soon as Crucial gets their RAM back in stock I'll be loading it up with 4GB. Can't wait to finally ditch this old notebook I have right now.

I'm glad that they did this update - I've been wanting to get a blackbook for some time, but just couldn't justify the high cost. With the refresh I've picked up a last-gen refurb for (what I think is) a great price!

Specs:
2.2GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
1GB (two 512MB) of 667MHz DDR2 SDRAM (PC2-5300) (Boo!)
160GB Serial ATA; 5400-rpm
SuperDrive
Intel GMA X3100
Built-in iSight camera; mini-DVI output port with support for DVI, VGA, S-video, and composite video (requires adapters, sold separately)
One FireWire 400 port (8 watts)
Two USB 2.0 ports (up to 480 Mbps)
Built-in stereo speakers, built-in omnidirectional microphone, combined optical digital audio input/audio line in, combined optical digital audio output/headphone out
Built-in 10/100/1000BASE-T (Gigabit) Ethernet
Built-in AirPort Extreme Wi-Fi (based on IEEE 802.11n draft specification); built-in Bluetooth 2.0+EDR (Enhanced Data Rate) module
Apple Remote, 60W MagSafe Power Adapter, AC wall plug, power cord, lithium-polymer battery

All for $1100 Cnd.

I'm also glad that it includes the remote, which I plan to use for presentations. I can't see it's use when it comes to watching things on my computer, but it'll be nice to not have to spend money on a remote!

I just picked up a 2.6ghz / 512mb video memory / 200GB 7200rpm version at the apple store.
This thing is wickedly fast, so I am impressed, the heat seems to be well under control, more so than previous iterations. If the battery life is as good as they state under normal productivity conditions, then it will easily be the nicest laptop I've purchased.
I guess I can forgive the omission of the new keyboard magnetic screen latch, and easy HD upgrade access this round...

I just picked up a 2.6ghz / 512mb video memory / 200GB 7200rpm version at the apple store.
This thing is wickedly fast, so I am impressed, the heat seems to be well under control, more so than previous iterations. If the battery life is as good as they state under normal productivity conditions, then it will easily be the nicest laptop I've purchased.
I guess I can forgive the omission of the new keyboard magnetic screen latch, and easy HD upgrade access this round...

Exact same one I have on order :) How's that 512mb of VRAM treating you?

I haven't gotten a chance to run anything graphically intensive on it yet... but so far everything is impressively fast. Mostly due to the processor bump I think.

Are there any benchmarks on the 2.5 vs the 2.6? I couldn't bring myself to spend the extra for another 100mhz but I'm curious to see what the difference is.

Woot for updates. I get to order a shiny new Macbook Pro, all paid for by someone else!

i just bought my first apple ever (first laptop ever) 2 days ago and it'll be here by monday at the latest.

MBP baseline model:
2.4ghz
2gigs RAM
200gig 5400rpm
256mb video card

i'm stoked to get it!

beats my:
a7n8x deluxe
AMD XP 2500 @ 2.2ghz
1024 pc-3200 GEIL
ATI 9800 Pro 128mb
120 + 80 7200 Seagate
Audigy 2 ZS

:D

Sweet hac, order up a 4 gig memory kit from Newegg for about $75 or $80. Thats what I did :D

I went with the 2.5GHZ MBP with the 512MB video card. Should be here by the 5th.

Very cool. Just be ready for an adjustment period with OS X. There are differences here and there between OS X and Windows that aren't major in the big scheme of things but will throw you off at first (like there almost never being program installers, you just drag the application icon from the CD or mounted zip folder to the applications folder).

After five years of using OS X I can safely say that I much prefer it to Windows, especially in terms of maintenance (virus/malware scanning, defrags, registry cleaning), because there is none. Takes no work for it to run as well years later as the day you got it, big plus IMO.

i just bought my first apple ever (first laptop ever) 2 days ago and it'll be here by monday at the latest.

MBP baseline model:
2.4ghz
2gigs RAM
200gig 5400rpm
256mb video card

i'm stoked to get it!

beats my:
a7n8x deluxe
AMD XP 2500 @ 2.2ghz
1024 pc-3200 GEIL
ATI 9800 Pro 128mb
120 + 80 7200 Seagate
Audigy 2 ZS

:D

The prices of the previous mbp's in the refurb store dropped $200 to $1499. I bought one of the previous models instead. Feels like the smart thing to do. In transit ...

I'm getting a 15" MBP Saturday to replace my 17in Dell E1705...does anyone know if you can get the 200GB 7200 drive from the store or do you need to order it on line?

The prices of the previous mbp's in the refurb store dropped $200 to $1499. I bought one of the previous models instead. Feels like the smart thing to do. In transit ...

I've found that the refurbs are always good deals. Got my G4 and G5 that way.

something i hadnt realised about the processor upgrades (the main reason i wasnt that excited when i heard the news) was that it is not just 100mhz in speed upgrade - you have also gone from 4mb to 6mb of on-board cache. plus i believe the cpu is more efficient, therefore runs cooler which is always a good thing, plus it will be one of the contributary factors towards the projected increase in battery life. the main advantage that i see is that depsite the upgrade in performance i dont believe there has been a price increase over here in the uk? correct me if i am wrong! i want one even more now, but at the moment i just cannot justify the expense, particularly when i want to replace my ageing (xp2500 - euggh!) rig with a vmware monster!

Back