Rumour: Valve is about to announce a VR game called Half-Life: Alyx

Discussion in 'General Gaming' started by fightingfi, Nov 18, 2019.

1. T4rd

T4rd [H]ard as it Gets

Episode 2.1 confirmed.

2. notarat

notarat [H]ard|Gawd

This would have featured Gordon Freeman but he died from old age waiting for the game.

J3RK, AceGoober, scojer and 7 others like this.
  3. defaultluser

defaultluser [H]ardForum Junkie

But I hated episodes 1 and 2, so why should I be excited over Episode 3?

That episode where you were forced to babysit the AI Alyx was the worst of all. Even if you play Alyx now, you're still going to be forced to baby some terrible AI that has to survive to get you to the next level.

That's been the entire story of Half-Life 2: "Hey, look at all our terrible AI! Now, somehow make it work anyway!"

Unlike Half-Life 1, where it was just you, and the AI companions were mostly OPTIONAL/SIDEQUESTS that were not asked to do much!

Last edited: Nov 18, 2019
  4. Armenius

Armenius I Drive Myself to the [H]ospital

5. Gabriel2

Gabriel2 [H]Lite

6. Youn

Youn [H]ardness Supreme

yea, freeman will be found dead and shriveled up here, empty beer can in hand:

AceGoober and dgz like this.
  7. Bowman15

Bowman15 [H]ard|Gawd

SJW all the way. Chauvinist man pig dies and woman terminator takes over.

8. Youn

Youn [H]ardness Supreme

here's info on the so-called "leak" (in case it gets removed)

the following are posts from the same user who leaked und3rl0rds. Said user is currently trusted by Tyler. Here is everything they've posted:

"but why does this have to be VR only?"

Which you know is a fair concern for people, right? It's like, are they forcing me to buy VR to have the next "Half-Life" experience?
    Is that just 'cause you think the opportunity for innovation was sort of in the VR space with this? You're not doing a flat screen
    version of this game, right?

Yeah, I mean we would love to be delivering a version of this that you could play with a mouse and a keyboard, but like as we said,
    it began as an exploration of VR, (snippet ends)

-

But then again it brings - obviously to this one, and why this, why now? Some people would probably cynically say, oh Valve has to go back to making games now that Epic's chippin' away at Steam, and "Artifact" wasn't necessarily the hit
    everyone wanted it to be, (snippet ends)

-
    (geoff talking)
    March 2020, "Half-Life: Alyx" comin' out, and again, yeah, we'll do "The Final Hours" next year. You know, it's been so fun to do those
    with "Half-Life", "Half-Life 2", "Portal", and that will take everyone through really the past decade at Valve and all that you guys have been through, all the experiments that you don't know about, (snippet ends)

-

You can see their whole body-- Respond to the situation.
    You know, panicking, dropping clips on the ground as they fumble their weapons 'cause a zombie's in front of them, all
    these things, they're just - it's been really fun watching playtests.

Anyway, so yeah, it's been really fun to build this. I think wherever we go next, or whatever platform,
    whatever we focus on, I think we're excited-- Come on Robin (walker), say it!
    We wanna know why -- No but as you said, the engine is now at a point where it's like, you can do this stuff now, right?

"Yeah, the engine is ready now.
    I think it's like Robin
    says, we want to put this out
    and see how the world reacts to it
    before we make any concrete
    plans about what we do next."

(snippet ends)

9. TaintedSquirrel

TaintedSquirrel [H]ardForum Junkie

Sweet merciful baby jesus, it's real.

Comixbooks and Derangel like this.
  10. defaultluser

defaultluser [H]ardForum Junkie

I's not Halflife 3, so I don't know what you're getting excited over.

It's another filler episode from the company that can't count to three :D At this point nobody really cares about a locked-in-VR lite HL2 episode 2.5.

And it's not a surprise. Valve already said they were going to make an original game for VR. It's just delivered them on fucking Valve Time

'https://www.roadtovr.com/htc-valve-still-committed-making-three-vr-full-games/

Last edited: Nov 18, 2019
    TaintedSquirrel likes this.
  11. fightingfi

fightingfi Look at Me! I need the attention.

im thinking another amd hl3 or whatever ray tracing with a new amd 3***xt combo deal like hl2 was rev-9800xt-couponsm.jpg

12. Youn

Youn [H]ardness Supreme

3 full VR games = 0.5 full normal games

defaultluser likes this.
  13. Pringle

Pringle 2[H]4U

As in, what, playtime? People buy VR for the experience, not for however many hours they get out of it.

14. J3RK

J3RK [H]ardForum Junkie

I really don't know that I would agree with that. Sure, the experience is important, but that's true of most games. I wouldn't buy something for VR that was really cool, but didn't have enough breadth to it. Download silly demo-type games? Sure, but in order for me to want to buy something, it would need very similar criteria to other games. Otherwise it's a toy.

defaultluser likes this.