Rumour: Google To Buy Skype

HardOCP News

[H] News
The big rumor today is that Google is going to buy Skype but, at least to me, the bigger question is how much is Skype worth? Do you think there is any way eBay will recoup the $2.6B they paid for Skype just a few years ago?

Leading VoIP service Skype goes from strength to strength, with revenues rising by 26 per cent last quarter. Yet despite this success, parent company eBay is rumored to be looking to offload its cash-cow to none other than Google.

If the rumor turns out to be true, I'd say that eBay has a good chance to recoup the $$ they paid for it when you consider how much Google paid for YouTube a while back. If I'm not mistaken it still hasn't made money for Google. So if Skype is actually making money, Google may throw buckets o' cash at eBay! ;)

If this were Microsoft, people would be crying "Monopoly!" left and right. But since it's Google, they cheer.

Enjoy your ad-supported OS that collects "anonymous" user statistics at all times, suckers. That's where you're all taking us.

Great, now they will have your search and your conversations. I wonder, will Google soon become too big to fail, too powerful to touch?

Oh man, I hope google doesn't pay a fortune for it like they did for noobtube.

If this were Microsoft, people would be crying "Monopoly!" left and right. But since it's Google, they cheer.

Enjoy your ad-supported OS that collects "anonymous" user statistics at all times, suckers. That's where you're all taking us.

I can't say that I disagree with this guy...

Skype is awesome. I highly recommend it for your land line replacement. $55-60/year.. call any domestic US phone for no extra cost, or call any international phone for cheap, and receive calls from any phone. Voicemail, call forwarding, and all the other goodies. Plus awesome, encrypted voice, video, and text chatting.

I see this as a larger move to get a voice technology that is already proven and then integrate it with video and video conferencing. Skype has excellent voice quality and if Google can pair it up with video, it's a win. As of right now the only way I can get free video + voice is to use oovoo for the video and skype running concurrently for the voice. It works great, but it's a hassle.

Skype is awesome. I highly recommend it for your land line replacement. $55-60/year.. call any domestic US phone for no extra cost, or call any international phone for cheap, and receive calls from any phone. Voicemail, call forwarding, and all the other goodies. Plus awesome, encrypted voice, video, and text chatting.

skype DOES NOT have 911 on it. it is NOT good as a landline replacement. only way i would is if i got a cheap e911 cell phone that i could leave turned on all the time next to the skype phone. the cell phone doesnt need a contract to use 911.

I see this as a larger move to get a voice technology that is already proven and then integrate it with video and video conferencing. Skype has excellent voice quality and if Google can pair it up with video, it's a win. As of right now the only way I can get free video + voice is to use oovoo for the video and skype running concurrently for the voice. It works great, but it's a hassle.

what? skype has videoconferencing built in, and it works great....

I don't give a damn if Google collects all the data they want.

There is no such thing as privacy on the internet anyway.

Google buying skype, i could live with that

As long as they don't ditch paypal as a payment method or change anything drastically.

I'd love to see a 2nd lighter version of the skype client released too, skype is so bloated, its a huge resource hog.... and that is one thing google does well.

Put skype on a diet.

Lite Skype (Beta) FTW!

You've got a point there.

Anyway, doesn't it seem rather unlikely that Google would be buying anything at this point? They've already cut back some of their programs/services. . . Then again, maybe that freed up more of their resources. . .

Anyone that thinks anything online is anonymous needs to have their brains checked at the door... unless you happen to be using a "free" Wi-Fi access point - meaning you'd probably be accessing it without the owner's permission, encryption cracking be damned - and you're mobile 24/7 (and that means literally every second you're in motion) then... well... you're not so anonymous.

Considering that probably a nearly infinitesimal amount of people are accessing online content in such ways, you're all busted. :D

I admit Freally don't get the need for Skype. I've got cable modem, unlimited voice landline, unlimited voice cell unlimited broadband cell. If I want to call over see just start up Windows Messenger or whatever.

Back