Rumour: Doom 4 postponed... Indefinately

_PixelNinja

[H]ard|Gawd
From Rock, Paper Shotgun:

This is pure rumour, but the Big K are reporting that a source inside Bethesda told them the company has made the decision to “indefinitely postpone” development of Doom 4. This move, made at a recent meeting in Dallas, apparently comes as a response to general disappointment with Rage, which was buggy on release and earned review scores of a less than 8/10 average (gasp!)

The story says that the issues surrounding Rage’s launch have resulted in “a serious lack of confidence in the project management at id”. This might be nonsense, of course, but it’s believable nonsense. That said, I am not sure why the company would deny id Doom 4, which seems like a game that would sell no matter how it was managed. Also, Rage seems to be doing okay in the charts, and we all know that it’s money, not review scores, that talk.

The comments in the Kotaku post about this are pretty interesting. Seems like id really dropped the ball with Rage. I think I'll wait till it's $10 or so to buy it

I thought Doom 4 was still a long ways from being released anyhow so it's not something I'm concerned about now

Considering Bethesda always releases buggy as fuck games, there is a bit of irony here.

Considering Bethesda always releases buggy as fuck games, there is a bit of irony here.

QFT

Every Bethesda game I've owned since Oblivion (ALL Gamebryo games) has been buggy as hell. I didn't play Morrowind enough to place judgment on that one though. I'm a bit worried that Skyrim will be super buggy due to it having a derivative engine based on Gamebryo. If DOOM 4 is based on id Tech 5 & doesn't place some hefty textures with DX11, I'd be extremely disappointed but not surprised.

Doom 4 will be Rage with monsters and aliens.......or vice-versa.

I'd still buy it, no doubt. It will be a multiplatform release, but after the uproar that Rage put forth, I'm thinking maybe the lead platform will be the PC and not the XBox; but I think that has been the plan since the beginning.

I hope id takes the money from Rage and moves forward.:D

Hey no problem they can always farm it out like wolfenstein..............................................................................................................................................................................................

This will be a weird poisition for id as theyre used to making their own decisions, this is the first time they've had a company dictating to them what they can and can't do in regards to Game development.

Doesnt matter, they wont be getting a red cent from me .But ill probably use my $60 "credit" that iD owes me for Rage, and use that to acquire the game without a ounce of remorse.

If Doom4 uses that same megatexturing crap, you can count me out. What a goddamn shame. :(

They should license the latest Cryengine or Frostbyte and build it on that...it would be amazing. Both show that they can put amazing IQ on the PC and still scale down to the consoles.

megatexturing is great. just developers didn't want to give us the good textures and gave us compressed crap

It's not just id, almost no developers get this stuff right at launch, sure Rage had some fairly unique driver issues that other games don't get, but it had it's fair share of other "regular" issues as well, lack of video controls, forced Vsync, mouse acceleration, low FOV and all the rest of it.

I still don't understand it, it's like gamers know the engines better than the developers do, they build these games and within 24 hours we have a long list of commands people are using to correct all the problems with the defaults and the lack of controls.

I mean to id's credit they swooped in with an early patch and fixed a lot of it (although some issues remain), it begs the question why couldn't they wait just 1 additional week to release, a weeks delay would have gone down better than the drama at launch.

Even despite the issues being fixed, people are in full complain mode and despite the game actually being damn fun for an FPS it's never going to be seen in a good light ever, all because of the first few days.

You only have 1 shot at making a first impression, you can't blow it, you have to release something solid or you'll get drastically increased negativity associated with the product.

Well but for id this was supposed to be the big comeback after doom3, i mean almost 7 years of hype and all we got a mediocre game where the graphics was the biggest flop.. i can imagine nobody had anything to say about delay doom4 indefinate..

Doom 4 was confirmed a couple years back that they are not going for the 60FPS cap, which means lower graphics and lower enemies on screen, like what RAGE has. They are shooting for 30FPS on consoles and can be 60+ on PC, so that you can have many more demons on screen and much better graphics, which will also be approximately 3 times as rich as RAGE.

Source

They should license the latest Cryengine or Frostbyte and build it on that...it would be amazing.

Considering that the tech has traditionally been id's strong suit, much more so than their generally uninspired gameplay, that would be pretty tragic.

This was never gonna be true - any publisher would be nuts to pass on a AAA title like Doom.

If D4 is anything like the crap sandwich Rage was, I will pass. id knows better than to release a game like Rage. What a waste of $60.

Exactly! Oblivion is still stuffed full of bugs (even with the 321932 patches and a community patch it still has some!). Fallout 3/nv does too. With RAGE it was minor graphics bugs not gameplay/game breaking bugs like with bethesdas releases :D

Also they released brink. The biggest POS I have seen in years.

Hopefully someone at id with some PC sense will make sure history doesn't repeat itself.
Also I wonder what Carmak is gonna say about the Rage "Cluster Fuck" at his next QuakeCon keynote.

Hopefully someone at id with some PC sense will make sure history doesn't repeat itself.
Also I wonder what Carmak is gonna say about the Rage "Cluster Fuck" at his next QuakeCon keynote.

With Rage, carmack took a dump on you, kicked your dog, slapped your sister, stole your wife... AND DRANK YOUR BEER!!! :mad:

better to not have doom4 from their console/ipad mindset.

On PC, neither game has any show stopping bug, nor do either of them have so many little bugs as to make gaming annoying.

Youve never had fallout 3 crash as weird times, stop working while loading, quests that just go weird, sudden objects floating around, people you need for quests doing nonsensical things (shooting you for no reason/shooting each other for no reason), quest reliant doors not opening so you can't finish them/get stuck? You must be the luckiest person alive! :p

It doesn't really annoy me playing it though, as being hugely buggy kind of makes fallout 3, well...fallout 3, and more random and interesting (other than the crash on load bugs and those kind of things or out of memory bugs, that is annoying). The reason I preordered NV is because when I saw the clip of the rotating head guy and knew there would be more of the same random weirdness! :D

Youve never had fallout 3 crash as weird times, stop working while loading, quests that just go weird, sudden objects floating around, people you need for quests doing nonsensical things (shooting you for no reason/shooting each other for no reason), D

None of it ever stopped me from either completing the game or having fun.

Seeing that after the Rage debacle and Carmacks comments about the PC platform I could not give a rats rear.

Having random CTDs and occasional freezes for no reason is simply a right of passage with Bethesda titles. ;)

Back