Rumors Suggest Nvidia Could Launch Turing Cards Without Raytracing

AlphaAtlas

[H]ard|Gawd
Staff member
Videocardz claims that Nvidia might launch a Turing-based "GTX 1160" GPU alongside the rumored RTX 2060 in mid-January. WhyChy claims he "received a tip" yesterday, and says that a paywalled article on Expreview corroborates the rumor, though they claim the upcoming card is actually called a "GTX 1160 TI." Both sites claim the new GPU will feature a different GPU than the RTX 2060, and that it won't feature the ray tracing cores of Nvidia's RTX lineup.

The new series would still feature Turing GPUs, but their different variants. It is said that GeForce RTX 2060 will feature TU106-200 GPU, while the GeForce GTX 1160 would feature TU116 instead. The GeForce GTX 1660 Ti marketing material posted by Expreview mentions ‘Turing Shaders’, instead of ‘Ray Tracing’, which should remain exclusive to RTX series. More importantly, it is said that there will be no GeForce RTX 2050 model. The mid-range and entry-level models will be part of GeForce 11 series only.

apinchofsalt.jpg

Interesting, that would explain why there was confusion about the names over the past several months.

Because the 1060 is very long in the tooth and ATI is going to release new cards soon?

It still makes sense to release one more mid-range card early in the RT transition. They can't just abandon the affordable segment just because there's no way to affordably put RT on a $200 card (yet).

Calling it a 2060 would just fan the fire among some people that "Anything in the 2000 series should have RT capability!"

So damned if they do and damned if they don't.

As to what's the point? If the performance of the 1160 Turing card holds with how the 2070 went it will be much more capable at higher resolutions. That would be a win-win for gamers if it hits about the same 1080p perf as a 1070 and also has higher or same 1440p and 4k perf as a 1070 for less money.

So Turings with defective tensor units fused off. I would imagine the only reason they aren't already selling a card using those chips (the 2000 cards with hinkey tensors) is they have been stockpiling the chips just in case AMD really does have a 1080ti+ performing part for 250 bucks as the rumors seem to be suggesting.

Who knows though fusing off those bits might allow them to clock them high enough to offer a 1160 type part in the same range for just a little more. I might be better then having nothing to compete in the core upper low to upper mid price range.

They have sucessfully shifted all the gpu prices up a level so a GTX 960 level card like the 1060 is priced like a previous gen GTX 970 level card. I expect them to try it again and price the GTX 1160 close to the GTX 1070.

Totally see this as a real possibility. If the performance is there the next xx60 card priced over 350 maybe touching 400 or more.

G
Because the 1060 is very long in the tooth and ATI is going to release new cards soon?

It still makes sense to release one more mid-range card early in the RT transition. They can't just abandon the affordable segment just because there's no way to affordably put RT on a $200 card (yet).

Calling it a 2060 would just fan the fire among some people that "Anything in the 2000 series should have RT capability!"

So damned if they do and damned if they don't.

As to what's the point? If the performance of the 1160 Turing card holds with how the 2070 went it will be much more capable at higher resolutions. That would be a win-win for gamers if it hits about the same 1080p perf as a 1070 and also has higher or same 1440p and 4k perf as a 1070 for less money.

I would think any thing RTX would have Ray Tracing and a GTX 2060 is just the next generation midrange card following up on GTX 1060

This would be kinda cool. Who wants to plat with RTX on and get less than 50 fps @ 1080p anyways?

God damn it... That's what I would have bought... lmao. A 2080ti without the tensor cores for 2/3 the price would have been nice no? XD

remrmber whn 350-400 dollars would give you the top of the linecard ?

Its crazy isn't it. These days you can build a pretty decent machine for less then the cost of NVs mid range cards.

In Canada where I am a 2970wx and a board costs right around the same thing as a 2080ti.

There is no way in Hades I would ever pay more for a GPU then the cost of the entirety of the rest of my system.

The 2060 RTX is going to have shit pricing isn't it?

Dig up Nvidia! Dig UP!

Reactions: Jza
like this
thats like Microsoft saying heres windows 11 with no direct x LULZ............

Reactions: Jza
like this
why would they even put ray tracing cores on a 2060 to begin with? So the 480p folks can have ray tracing too?

The onyl reason they'd have done that was if either were expecting the ray tracing cores to clock a decent bit faster, expected drivers to load them more efficiently, or thought they could get decent results with a smaller number of rays cast than ended up being the case. Or some combination of the previous; because the current performance is totally not worth it.

OTOH the above is also my theory on what happened with the 2070. Unless devs get a lot better at it in the next year or so, it's RTX cores will never actually get used before it's replaced with the next generation of card.

Looks like we're going to be taking a trip to hose town, NVIDIA being greedy and keeping that bundled free copy of space invaders from us.

Sounds like the rumors from here all the way back in August may actually be true...Let's hope for an 1180 and an 1170!!!

Probably, but would they release anything with 6+ gigs of ram for $400?

I know this won't happen, but Nvidia would have to fight me not to take my money if they put out a GTX 2080ti (exact same as the RTX 2080ti just nix those tensor cores and fill that space with the good stuff).

Don't worry when all these speculations turn into actual products we can go to Hard|OCP, Hardware Unboxed, TPU, and Gamers Nexus, among other good sources for information we consumers want to know. Then, when we are done with that, we can go watch a Shillz2Cents video to hear NVIDIA's take on the product.

Heh, you think they'll charge less money. Funny. 1070ti's are already down to $335 on sales, 1070s sub $300 in a few places as they now try to get rid of the excess going down the line. All while I see 1060s from $250-350.

So... this is just a 1080ti with more monkeys and hamsters? Silly Nvidia.... they're still trying to finger out their supply problem. Must suck to see those warehouses so full and have no idea other than 'business as usual: pull the wool!'.

Heh, you think they'll charge less money. Funny. 1070ti's are already down to $335 on sales, 1070s sub $300 in a few places as they now try to get rid of the excess going down the line. All while I see 1060s from $250-350.

Which is why I was treating the 1160 like the shift-up Nvidia did with the 2000 series. Put the 1160 against at least a stock 1070 and let's see how it does. I'm just saying, let's see what the price difference is and what the perf difference is at higher resolutions against a 1070.

Curious, if this card came out as the GTX-1180 for $399, would it sell?

The problem is its only 12% faster than the current 1080 (non-Ti). I'd look at OCing my 1080 before dropping $399 on a new card. If it were in the 30% faster range and at the same $500 price point as the 1080 was at launch, people would buy. Basically same performance of a 1080Ti at used 1080Ti pricing.

Last edited:
mmm seems like a bad idea to me. I would think that might cause a bit of market confusion and saturation on nvidia's part. The Rebadge Era returns me thinks.

Fuck it, do it, nVidia. If you can deliver a non-ray tracing Turing card that gives 1080Ti performance for under $600, then I'll buy it (as long as it *doesn't* come with a free copy of Space Invaders).

Fuck it, do it, nVidia. If you can deliver a non-ray tracing Turing card that gives 1080Ti performance for under $600, then I'll buy it (as long as it *doesn't* come with a free copy of Space Invaders).

I was thinking the same thing, but then I thought, "But why?" I expect better than equivalent last gen performance for last gen pricing. If a 1080Ti replacement isn't at least 25% faster for the same money, why bother upgrading?

1180Ti for $699 with 2080Ti non-RTX performance, and I'd seriously think about it.

I was thinking the same thing, but then I thought, "But why?" I expect better than equivalent last gen performance for last gen pricing. If a 1080Ti replacement isn't at least 25% faster for the same money, why bother upgrading?

1180Ti for $699 with 2080Ti non-RTX performance, and I'd seriously think about it.

Good point. I'll adjust my statement: 1080Ti performance for $350-450, or 25-50% more performance for $600-700. Then it's "bye-bye, 980Ti".

Back