rumored RTX 3xxx specs

It's been over a year since the 2080 Ti started at $1200. Can we all just finally admit that the price on that card is now $1000? If people are going to whine about the 2080 Ti costing $1200, I'm going to whine about pre-launch AMD pricing and lousy AMD performance based on benchmarks from before they issue post-launch firmware bandaids.

I just went to Newegg and looked at 2080 Ti cards. There is a single $999 card on sale. The next cheapest is $1100 with most being more. Also, a quick glance at Amazon shows similar results. So let’s not pretend that $1000 is the average price and $1200 cards are outliers. That is clearly not the case and if anything, the reverse is true.

EDIT: Microcenter is the same story, with $1070 being the cheapest and everything else being much higher.

Last edited:
I just went to Newegg and looked at 2080 Ti cards. There is a single $999 card on sale. The next cheapest is $1100 with most being more. Also, a quick glance at Amazon shows similar results. So let’s not pretend that $1000 is the average price and $1200 cards are outliers. That is clearly not the case and if anything, the reverse is true.

EDIT: Microcenter is the same story, with $1070 being the cheapest and everything else being much higher.

Retailers marking up is a different story. I just go off of what I see listed on Nvidia.com.

If you actually need more than 10GB, gaming cards aren't for you.
Not really true at all. $/Gbps the gaming cards are great...? PCIe bandwidth becomes big limitation and it's useful to be able to hold intermediate compute in memory on the card?

Not really true at all. $/Gbps the gaming cards are great...? PCIe bandwidth becomes big limitation and it's useful to be able to hold intermediate compute in memory on the card?

If you're using main memory across the PCIe bus for on-screen assets, you're rending in slow motion.

Consider the bandwidth of the PCIe bus, the bandwidth of DRAM, and compare the two to the bandwidth of VRAM. Using main memory for rendered assets means that the frametimes are already shooting up, and the more main memory needed, the higher the frametimes get.

For gaming, or other real-time rendering that needs immediate feedback, this is a failure state.

I see the 2080 ti listed on nvidia's site for $1200.

And I see one for $999.99.

upload_2020-1-25_15-9-49.png

If you're using main memory across the PCIe bus for on-screen assets, you're rending in slow motion.

Consider the bandwidth of the PCIe bus, the bandwidth of DRAM, and compare the two to the bandwidth of VRAM. Using main memory for rendered assets means that the frametimes are already shooting up, and the more main memory needed, the higher the frametimes get.

For gaming, or other real-time rendering that needs immediate feedback, this is a failure state.
Sure, everything you said is true. Still doesn't mean that if you need more than 10GB on the GPU you shouldn't be using a gaming card.

Still doesn't mean that if you need more than 10GB on the GPU you shouldn't be using a gaming card.

I didn't make this statement.

But if you do need more than 10GB on the GPU, you need more than 10GB on the GPU.

They have them listed, but the sale happens through a partner. Clicking BUY NOW brings up a dialog with links to partners:
View attachment 218330

The Asus (which is the $999 card I mentioned earlier) is on sale at Newegg and I suspect Amazon is price matching. Also, you’re posting a screenshot of retailer prices which you discounted earlier when I said I found those same prices at Amazon, Newegg, Microcenter, etc. The only actual nVidia-branded (and presumably sold) card on nvidia’s site is......(drumroll, please)......$1200. One model on sale at $999 does not equal the 2080 Ti being a $1000 card. It means if your timing is right, you can score one on sale for $999 but otherwise, be prepared to pay well over $1000.

Regardless of this and back on topic, I believe the 3080 Ti will start out at least at the $1200 mark, if not more. As discussed in this thread, rumor is that it will be 30% faster than a 2080 Ti but it could be even faster at RT (I heard rumors of a 50-60% RT performance jump at one time, but I haven’t kept up in new rumors so those might have been debunked). I mean, I know NVidia can correctly say “We’re giving you a 30% bump at the same price”, which is something I don’t recall them being able to say in a couple of generations. Regardless, for me personally, my gaming time has dropped to the point where it would be super difficult for me to justify it. The money isn’t the issue, it’s the value and unless my gaming picks up dramatically in the next 6 months or I decide the 3080 Ti will be my video card for the next 5 years, the value isn’t there. I even have $1200 in Amazon Rewards sitting and waiting to be used, so I could technically get a $1200 3080 Ti for no out-of-pocket money except taxes, and I still won’t do it.

The Asus (which is the $999 card I mentioned earlier) is on sale at Newegg and I suspect Amazon is price matching. Also, you’re posting a screenshot of retailer prices which you discounted earlier when I said I found those same prices at Amazon, Newegg, Microcenter, etc. The only actual nVidia-branded (and presumably sold) card on nvidia’s site is......(drumroll, please)......$1200. One model on sale at $999 does not equal the 2080 Ti being a $1000 card. It means if your timing is right, you can score one on sale for $999 but otherwise, be prepared to pay well over $1000.

Regardless of this and back on topic, I believe the 3080 Ti will start out at least at the $1200 mark, if not more. As discussed in this thread, rumor is that it will be 30% faster than a 2080 Ti but it could be even faster at RT (I heard rumors of a 50-60% RT performance jump at one time, but I haven’t kept up in new rumors so those might have been debunked). I mean, I know NVidia can correctly say “We’re giving you a 30% bump at the same price”, which is something I don’t recall them being able to say in a couple of generations. Regardless, for me personally, my gaming time has dropped to the point where it would be super difficult for me to justify it. The money isn’t the issue, it’s the value and unless my gaming picks up dramatically in the next 6 months or I decide the 3080 Ti will be my video card for the next 5 years, the value isn’t there. I even have $1200 in Amazon Rewards sitting and waiting to be used, so I could technically get a $1200 3080 Ti for no out-of-pocket money except taxes, and I still won’t do it.

You can quite easily get it for $999, mine was shortly after launch.

Also 980ti to 1080ti was 55-60% increase.

^Holy shit guys, are there really debates about what the new default price range is of a 2080ti?

Between a grand, and $1,200.

/discussion

Jesus christ. This some nerdy ass shit right there.

Was it? I guess I forgot about that - I thought it was around a 30% delta.

I think the 1080 was ~30% which they released as “the new king” and a few months later the 1080ti. Some people weren’t fond of that move lol.

I think the 1080 was ~30% which they released as “the new king” and a few months later the 1080ti. Some people weren’t fond of that move lol.
The performance increases up and down the product stack was up to 70% from Maxwell to Pascal. Don't know why anyone would go from a Ti to a non-Ti.

Back