Rumored AMD RDNA4 Specs Indicate 3.5GHz Clocks, Double RDNA3 Performance

erek

[H]F Junkie
RND4 to be at least double the performance of RDNA3

"As far as main specs go, Navi41 is rumored to offer 144 compute units for a total of 18,432 stream processors if you double their count. For comparison, the RX 7900 XTX has 96 compute units and 6,44 stream processors before doubling them. Navi 42 will offer 96 compute units; the same as the current flagship. The midrange Navi43 will offer 48 CUs. This version hasn’t been released yet for RDNA3, but it’s anticipated to offer 32 compute units. Overall, the leak says that all three GPUs are targeting double the performance of their predecessors. The increases are due to much higher clock speeds, faster memory, improved Infinity Cache, and a variety of architectural changes.

Since AMD has only unveiled two RDNA3 GPUs thus far, it’s likely these GPUs are at least a year away, if not longer. It took two years between RDNA2 and RDNA3, which is the same cadence Nvidia is using. Therefore, we can probably expect these GPUs will arrive for the holiday season of 2024. Obviously, a lot can and will change between now and then. The big question is whether AMD will have moved to the 12-pin 12VHPWR cable by then."

Source: https://www.extremetech.com/gaming/...dicate-3-5ghz-clocks-double-rdna3-performance

I honestly don’t understand what the point of making an announcement like this. Either people don’t buy your current product and wait for the better one that’s coming. Or otherwise that people will have forgotten such hype posts by the time the next launch happens.

Or more likely they don’t buy either when the current and the next fail to meet the expectations of hype.

I honestly don’t understand what the point of making an announcement like this. Either people don’t buy your current product and wait for the better one that’s coming. Or otherwise that people will have forgotten such hype posts by the time the next launch happens.

Or more likely they don’t buy either when the current and the next fail to meet the expectations of hype.
I’m not certain they do, half the time I am convinced that the leaks from AMD and Nvidia aren’t leaks. I’m more convinced they are marketing whisper campaigns, Nvidia releasing rumours about AMD and AMD releasing rumours in return to shift conversations or sales.

5000 series doubles the 4000 series, RDNA 4 doubles the RDNA 3.
And I am sure that whoever I buy either from will double the diameter of my asshole.
No sir, we all know these companies have a 2.5 times stretching for every doubling of performance. Now if you'll excuse me, I'm going to go buy some KY stock. :cautious:

I’m not certain they do, half the time I am convinced that the leaks from AMD and Nvidia aren’t leaks. I’m more convinced they are marketing whisper campaigns, Nvidia releasing rumours about AMD and AMD releasing rumours in return to shift conversations or sales.
That’s what I’m saying though. If it is direct (or indirect) from AMD then this looks like a lack of confidence in their current product stack. It’s a very “Raja” “wait ‘till we get them next time!” Sort of announcement and it makes the company look weak and mismanaged. It’s the opposite message that they should be sending.

Literally the same thing they said about RDNA3 :)

The RDNA 4 Powered AMD MEHXT line
The DisappointmentXTX?

"Just wait! In just a years time we'll deliver mediocre results at a price point that makes sure there will be plenty of stock on the shelves for when you're ready to just give up and buy anything within arms reach."

“Next generation will be better than this generation” is always true. It’s a year or two away, and then when it comes out, the generation after that will be even better. If you hold out long enough, you simply never buy anything.

“Next generation will be better than this generation” is always true. It’s a year or two away, and then when it comes out, the generation after that will be even better. If you hold out long enough, you simply never buy anything.
32-scaled-e1576262099553.jpg

"They who come to me shall embrace the light of gaming, and they will be healed..."
-Gates, Chapter 4, Verse 2.1

I thought it was a parody post before clicking the link (specially with comparing the doubled shader counter to the non doubled one for some reason), the at least double or the maybe in just a year away

Which part of the word "rumor" didn't you understand? These are not official communications and, as shown by the rumors before the release 7900xtx, about as trustworthy as press-statements about the Ukraine war from Moscow.

Reactions: TMCM
like this

Or people just making shit up, which is usually the case as they start backtracking when actual plausible information comes around.

They can claim whatever they want - we all know that theoretical performance tends to come crashing down to earth under real-world workloads.

Right now, the real question is "What the hell kind of monster GPU does it take to run the likes of DCS and MSFS2020 without any framedrops whatsoever in VR? Even the RTX 4090 can't do it for the latter!"

Maybe it'd be less of a question if the sims in question were optimized worth a damn, but until they do, no choice but to brute-force it, as many are doing with the 4090 right now.

5000 series doubles the 4000 series, RDNA 4 doubles the RDNA 3.
And I am sure that whoever I buy either from will double the diameter of my asshole.
No sir, we all know these companies have a 2.5 times stretching for every doubling of performance. Now if you'll excuse me, I'm going to go buy some KY stock. :cautious:
Nah, there'll come a point where the stretching stops and it just rips - not that NVIDIA and AMD would stop, they love playing FATAL with their customers like that.

Not even a few weeks after launch and already the rumor mill is going. It's pretty pathetic to see articles like this trying to drum up hype on products far down the line. Not even bothering to click on the link as it's just click bait really.

Wish granted. It will cost 270% more for a 1% increase above the competition in 3 out of 27 titles, with roughly parity for the rest.
Competitor will be $1000, you'll pay $2700. Seems fair.
If this generation is any indicator, that is as far from likely as the US being blanketed by a 85°F next December. And just in case anyone forgot:

relative-performance_3840-2160.png
relative-performance-rt_3840-2160.png

If this generation is any indicator, that is as far from likely as the US being blanketed by a 85°F next December. And just in case anyone forgot:

View attachment 537608View attachment 537609
You’re missing the point.

While it’s generally assumed that the top 1% of any given product stack will cost a disproportionately high amount, at what point is it no longer logical in any way sense or form to continue buying a product that “yes” offers an absolute performance improvement but has an astronomical cost? And how much better must it perform to offset that premium cost?

The 4080 absolutely performs better than a 7900XTX most of the time and certainly in RT, and it’s sitting on shelves. There has to be some level of acknowledgement that “better at any cost” isn’t real. It’s “better at a reasonable price premium”.

EDIT: And for context since it seems like you're forgetting that the guy that I was literally quoting stated that he'd buy a $2999 card if "it's faster than the competition". End of statement. So, not sure why you think my response is absurd and his isn't. Or are you saying that that price difference of $1000 vs $2999 is justified so long as there is at least a 22% difference in raster and a 55% in RT? Because I don't.

Last edited:
You’re missing the point.

While it’s generally assumed that the top 1% of any given product stack will cost a disproportionately high amount, at what point is it no longer logical in any way sense or form to continue buying a product that “yes” offers an absolutely performance improvement but has an astronomical cost? And how much better must it perform to offset that premium cost?

The 4080 absolutely performs better than a 7900XTX most of the time and certainly in RT, and it’s sitting on shelves. There has to be some level of acknowledgement that “better at any cost” isn’t real. It’s “better at a reasonable price premium”.
This is not how to market is currently working. We have been seeing it for 2 years now. People are willing to pay out the nose for items that a single sane person talking about it on a forum might not. And the 4080 isn't sitting on shelves as much as you think it is.

This is not how to market is currently working. We have been seeing it for 2 years now.
EDIT: And for context since it seems like you're forgetting that the guy that I was literally quoting stated that he'd buy a $2999 card if "it's faster than the competition". End of statement. So, not sure why you think my response is absurd and his isn't. Or are you saying that that price difference of $1000 vs $2999 is justified so long as there is at least a 22% difference in raster and a 55% in RT? Because I don't.
AMD I'm certain will be really glad if nVidia decides to change the price of the 4090 to $2999. Then we'll really see how many sit on shelves vs get purchased. Or are you also saying that that price point is reasonable?
People are willing to pay out the nose for items that a single sane person talking about it on a forum might not.
There are only "so many of that type of customer". If nVidia wants to get in to the ultra boutique, let them do it. But that market is smaller than you think and as the silicon shortage alleviates that market will dry up. For another few examples of how this is playing out, you can also see what is happening in the car market (both new and used) and the real estate market. Everything is cooling off.
And the 4080 isn't sitting on shelves as much as you think it is.
Sales numbers please.

Or are you saying that that price difference of $1000 vs $2999 is justified so long as there is at least a 22% difference in raster and a 55% in RT? Because I don't.
The market will decide like it has been deciding this whole time, whether you like it or not.
AMD I'm certain will be really glad if nVidia decides to change the price of the 4090 to $2999.
AMD will do what they did this generation. Price their inferior products just below the competition and be happy Nvidia is giving them the oportunity of better margins. Make no mistake, the 7900XTX is price so far below the 4090 because the performance delta is just that freaking large, AMD isn't stupid.
There are only "so many of that type of customer". If nVidia wants to get in to the ultra boutique, let them do it. But that market is smaller than you think and as the silicon shortage eleviates that market will dry up. For another example of how this is playing out, you can also see what is happening in the car market (both new and used) and the real estate market. Everything is cooling off.
Nvidia has already sold in excess of 130K 4090s since release. That segment is clearly bigger than you think it is, it was clearly bigger than even Nvidia thought it was.

These aren't cars, so that is irrelevant.
Sales numbers please.
https://videocardz.com/newz/nvidia-...lready-but-stores-are-still-full-of-rtx-4080s

Keep in mind, this report is from late November. So it really isn't all that up to date.

The market will decide like it has been deciding this whole time, whether you like it or not.
Obviously. Just like it's deciding that despite the 4080 being better in terms of absolute performance, it's not worth purchasing due to its cost.

So you keep cutting around the point I've been making repeatedly by making obvious statements.
AMD will do what they did this generation. Price their inferior products just below the competition and be happy Nvidia is giving them the oportunity of better margins. Make no mistake, the 7900XTX is price so far below the 4090 because the performance delta is just that freaking large, AMD isn't stupid.
Yes.
Nvidia has already sold in excess of 130K 4090s since release. That segment is clearly bigger than you think it is, it was clearly bigger than even Nvidia thought it was.
You don't know what I think about the subject. You're making a supposition about what I think about it. But you're correct in-so-far-as nVidia likely wished they would've priced the 4090 higher. So you agree then, $2999 is fine?
These aren't cars, so that is irrelevant.
It's very common to look at other markets to understand the way that products interact. More to the point it was a direct comparison. The video card and PC market is slowing down as demand is cooling off. Like those other two markets I brought up. Whether you think they relate or not is missing the point. Which seems to be a theme with you.

Business degrees aren't "end all be all" but in business school you'd examine other markets to understand new markets. And similarly you'd study other market interactions to understand your market interactions.
https://videocardz.com/newz/nvidia-...lready-but-stores-are-still-full-of-rtx-4080s

Keep in mind, this report is from late November. So it really isn't all that up to date.
Your own report seems to suggest what I, every journalism site, and most retailers have reported: that 4080 sales are sluggish. It's a non-zero number being sold, but certainly there have been zero times since launch in which there hasn't been 4080 availability if you, or anyone else wants one.

Not sure what your trip is.

Answer this basic question and then I can leave it, since again, you're quoting from me without even discussing the context of the quote: is a 22% raster difference and 55% RT difference enough to justify a 300% difference in cost? Yes or no?

Your own report seems to suggest what I, every journalism site, and most retailers have reported: that 4080 sales are sluggish. It's a non-zero number being sold, but certainly there have been zero times since launch in which there hasn't been 4080 availability if you, or anyone else wants one.

Not sure what your trip is.
It's almost like you ignored the fact I said that the report was from late November. :facepalm:
4 out of 18 models in stock at my MicroCenter and two of those only have one left; at MSRP or right above. There were 25+ of the Zotac cards yesterday and now there are 7. 25+ 3080s are now down to 21. Looks to me like they're selling fine while people are picking up the last of the 3080s.

View attachment 537475
Answer this basic question and then I can leave it, since again, you're quoting from me without even discussing the context of the quote: is a 22% raster difference and 55% RT difference enough to justify a 300% difference in cost? Yes or no?
I already answered this, I'll quote myself.

It's almost like you ignored the fact I said that the report was from late November. :facepalm:
You're the one posting irrelevant reports not me.
I already answered this, I'll quote myself.
nVidia decides the pricing, consumers decide whether they will pay the pricing or not. This is a simple question on whether or not you think $2999 is reasonable. If you can't answer this question then literally every post you've made in response to me is irrelevant. You have not actually contributed anything to the conversation in any meaningful way because you're not addressing the context of the comment. So what are you even talking about?

When I made my sarcastic post about willingness to pay an absurd amount for a 1% uplift, you should've just responded: "yes" or "nah bro, but I would for 22% in raster and 55% in RT". That would've saved us both time and been just as accurate about your position.

So double the last generation was the rumour that started for RDNA3, which turned out to be only 30% in reality.

So RDNA4 being rumoured to be double RDNA3 performance would probably be only 30% faster than current gen, which would make it slower than what RDNA3 was rumoured to be 6 months ago...

So RDNA4 would still be slower than a 4090?

So double the last generation was the rumour that started for RDNA3, which turned out to be only 30% in reality.

So RDNA4 being rumoured to be double RDNA3 performance would probably be only 30% faster than current gen, which would make it slower than what RDNA3 was rumoured to be 6 months ago...

So RDNA4 would still be slower than a 4090?
When you put it that way, ouch.

Back