Rumor: Valve Working on a Steam Gaming Console?

I think this will work if they build it like a console (1 spec, no changeable parts except for the hard drive) and developers optimize their games for the "Steam Box". If optimized games on a $400-$500 machine can look as good as the normal PC version on a $1000 PC, I think people will bite.

You guys do realize this is just another wild speculation right:p
Valve never said they are going to release any hardware product.

The whole using off the shelf parts for a "console" has been done already
http://system16.com/hardware.php?id=903&page=1

The only thing this console will do is alienate the high end pc gamers because theyir rigs are unable to outperform a cheaper "console." It will also add to the development cycle as it will require extra to get it to run on Windows and "SteamOS" (for lack of a better name.) Unless Valve decides to make it a SteamOS "exclusive." But then at that point it's just another console.

That's the point of banging out a hardware spec right now. You develop for the Steam console which will likely be a middle of the road PC. For reference, go look at the most common specs Steam users have. They aren't that high. If the Steam box is too low spec for you, either build your own, or buy a higher specced pre-fab--like you do right now.

Also not all controllers are "great" for most games out there

That's the beauty of an "open" console. If I want to play a platformer or RPG for instance, I can use the PS3's controller (imo, the PS3 is better for those). If I want to race or play shooters, I bust out the 360 controller. Considering the vast majority of the big games we play on PCs are console ports anyway, it isn't that big a deal.

and a good majority of them are kb/m oriented games which aren't amazing for "gaming from the couch" either.

That's a really big opinion piece. Many, many of the games I play are completely playable with a controller. I choose to play shooters with kb/mouse because I value less precision with forward, back, left, and right, and more with aiming. That doesn't mean it is completely unplayable with a controller.

Then you got a possible custom GUI for steam/online services,

Custom GUI is a very doable thing. Could I personally do it? Likely not. But if this is going to be an embedded version of Windows, its completely plausible that it uses the Steam client we all know and love/hate but with a different UI.

limited AUDIO and possibly even more limited video out (HDMI, DVI?).

Audio isn't a big issue. Headphone jacks convert to RCAs without issue, so analog is easily covered, and if you're running digital out, HDMI takes care of that.

Now video is a real issue. AFAIK, the only analog outputs computers support these days are S-Video and VGA. Of those two, the only one I've seen on older TVs is S-Video.

With newer sets, running HDMI is going to be a standard anyway, so it isn't that big a deal.

Your typical USB ports up front, the software that will most likely be installed to support a select few controllers.

When's the last time you've installed software for a controller?

The whole using off the shelf parts for a "console" has been done already
http://system16.com/hardware.php?id=903&page=1

The only thing this console will do is alienate the high end pc gamers because theyir rigs are unable to outperform a cheaper "console." It will also add to the development cycle as it will require extra to get it to run on Windows and "SteamOS" (for lack of a better name.) Unless Valve decides to make it a SteamOS "exclusive." But then at that point it's just another console.

Right now, console systems are vastly underpowered compared to PCs. Much more so then console lovers would like to admit. The PC's in 2006 were faster then Xbox 360 or PS3. With a PC based console, this changes everything.

For starters, who says the hardware has to stay the same? If it's based on PC parts, then these parts can be upgraded over time. By upgrade I mean buying a whole new console, which is fine for console buyers. You want the latest graphics, then go buy the newest model. As opposed to PS3 or Xbox 360 which just get "slimmer" over time.

Then there's the focus on PC gaming. Since this will likely use the same games on Steam, then there would be a lot more developer support. Unlike now where DX10 was mostly ignored, and DX11 is barely mentioned. This could even lead gamers to PC's instead anyway, which will be at no loss to Valve's ability to make a profit. In fact, Valve might want that more since they may end up losing money for each console sold, as did Microsoft and Sony.

Valve will likely go Windows, or Linux. Which makes it even more interesting.

Are they going to make a UI for Windows?
Will Valve finally release Steam for Linux?
Will the console have a DVD or Blu-Ray drive?
Is the price going to be reasonable?
Is this a direct response to Microsoft and Sony choosing to make consoles more homogenized to the PC, but yet still taking away 30% of Valve's profits?
Will they make a custom game pad?

The questions just go on and on...

For starters, who says the hardware has to stay the same? If it's based on PC parts, then these parts can be upgraded over time. By upgrade I mean buying a whole new console, which is fine for console buyers. You want the latest graphics, then go buy the newest model. As opposed to PS3 or Xbox 360 which just get "slimmer" over time.

That would defeat the purpose for developers. The spec would constantly be changing. It would be PC gaming as it is right now.

The console would have to stay pretty much the same for at least 3 years.

Right now, console systems are vastly underpowered compared to PCs. Much more so then console lovers would like to admit. The PC's in 2006 were faster then Xbox 360 or PS3. With a PC based console, this changes everything.
Consoles were always underpowered compared to the specs of a "gaming" PC at the time.
The whole point of consoles staying the same over time is that the price price of the hardware comes down so that the manufacturer can recoup cost. For the most part consoles were sold at a big loss so that they can get the consumer to buy in. Now with Valve's plan to have a third party manufacture these things, they're going to have to subsidize the cost of the hardware so the manufacturers can be happy, and consumers don't see the sticker shock. This is why systems like the 3DO and the CD-i failed.
Valve will likely go Windows, or Linux. Which makes it even more interesting.
It will be Windows Embedded.
Are they going to make a UI for Windows?
Will Valve finally release Steam for Linux?
Will the console have a DVD or Blu-Ray drive?
Is the price going to be reasonable?
Is this a direct response to Microsoft and Sony choosing to make consoles more homogenized to the PC, but yet still taking away 30% of Valve's profits?
Will they make a custom game pad?

The questions just go on and on...
They can use the current Steam Client as a blueprint for an UI.
No.
Neither.
In relation to a gaming console, no. In relation to a PC probably.
No, they just want to make more money and lock down their environment without having to deal with manufacturing the hardware.
They'll design one.

I think valve will focus on a unique controller and a SteamOS, i doubt they will make any hardware they will just sell the rights for people to make a steambox and seeing as it needs online its model type could probably register with steam and preset your GFX configs accordingly

i very much doubt it will be a "console" glorified PC would be more correct.

Doesn't really matter. Even if it takes off, so what? It'll be ridiculously expensive compared to a regular console if it has any power at all. And we'll still get the same consolized crap because of the limitations of the cheaper consoles.

Doesn't really matter. Even if it takes off, so what? It'll be ridiculously expensive compared to a regular console if it has any power at all. And we'll still get the same consolized crap because of the limitations of the cheaper consoles.

The PS3 was $600 when it was released (the 60GB model). Price cuts would definitely occur after smaller fab processes were utilized.

I think this will work if they build it like a console (1 spec, no changeable parts except for the hard drive) and developers optimize their games for the "Steam Box". If optimized games on a $400-$500 machine can look as good as the normal PC version on a $1000 PC, I think people will bite.

you can already build a very capable gaming pc for less than $500

This could either be a terrible idea or a brilliant idea. Price, system capability and marketing will determine which one it is.

If I were to build a HTPC from off the shelf parts, it could easily be within the $600 price tag that newer consoles are going to have. Don't look now that the 360 and PS3 are cheap, cause they were a good $400 - $600 within the first few years.

$30 case with Power Supply
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811148044

$270 from the cheapest i7 I can find.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115211

$100 motherboard
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813188087

$40 250 GB hard drive
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136096

$20 for 4 Gigs of ram
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820576003

$70 for Nvidia GT 440
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814187138

All that comes to $530 just from shopping on NewEgg. It has an Intel i7, an Nvidia Graphics card, and an acceptable amount of ram and storage. We still have $70 to play with, which could include Windows, a DVD drive, or just better graphics, more ram, or better case.

If Valve is putting this together, then it'll likely be cheaper for them to put this together then just sitting here and choosing stuff off NewEgg. Include a gamepad and you're good to go.

you can already build a very capable gaming pc for less than $500

But not as capable as one for $1000 right? :p

The main benefit of a console is that games are optimized to run on very specific hardware. Valve releasing a console/PC thing that uses specific parts can allow developers to release "Steam Box optimized" versions of their games. That may in turn encourage PC game development, a double win.

No one wants to use a KB/Mouse on their couch. well mostly no one. Just saying.

Valve employee Greg Coomer. It was Tweeted on November 2, with the caption: "Built this tiny PC. i7 quad core, 8GB ram, Zotac Z-68 mobo w/ onnboard Nvidia mobile gfx. Runs Portal 2 FAST. "

1g6ccg.jpg

It's been on Kotaku a couple of days now.

So this whole thing is based on a 5 month old tweet of some Valve employees HTPC?

I built a HTPC for about $800, I splurged in a lot of areas. As pointed out in an earlier post, you could do it with COTS components for around 500 dollars. Taking advantage of economies of scale, that price could come down or stay the same and take advantage of higher powered components.

If Valve were to use embedded windows and strip out any unnecessary services, they could have an OS with a very small footprint versus your typical windows machine. Simply putting in a dual core processor @ 3.0+ gHz w/ 4 gb RAM and a mid to high end GPU targeting 1080p and you would have a very competitive machine.

The real beauty of this is that with two or three SKUs, developers could simply test at each level and specify on a machine by machine basis what the graphics settings should be, taking the complicated decisions out of the consumer's hands. They just plunk down the amount of cash they want to spend and then everything would just work. A system like this would actually encourage developers to create games that scale with hardware while still giving a narrow set of specific configurations to target.

Obviously readers of [H] are not the target consumers of this machine, though I'm sure they could find some sales here. Valve already has money from us, at least those of us who wish to give it to them. This is simply expanding their sales base. Giving consumers a no-nonsense method of playing PC games would only be beneficial to them, as long as it sells. The real question for them is how to price the console. I would imagine they would attempt to sell it at cost or a little bit below. It would be a small price to pay for an increased sales base.

So this whole thing is based on a 5 month old tweet of some Valve employees HTPC?

No, it's based off of Josh Topolsky (sp) having some guy tell him that this is what is happening. Then, it just so happened that some guy working at valve has been building a mini-itx computer with similar specs to what josh said.

When I first read about this, I thought about what Valve might be intending this for and I think it comes down to this:
This is going to be a small, internet-connected computer in MiniITX or MicroATX size. It will most likely run either Windows 7 or 8, whether embedded or Basic. It is intended for those that aren't the brightest around a computer but don't want to be limited by a console's hardware limitations. This same audience also want to play computer games but want the freedom to play whatever game they want. Therefore the "console" or "mini PC" will be the following:
  • Highly accessible. No need to tinker with the hardware.
  • Fast out of the box.
  • Priced between a gaming console and a mid-range computer.
  • Limited upgradeability, unlike video game consoles with no chance to upgrade a lot of the internals outside of the hard drive.
  • HDMI (1080p/720p) TV connectivity.
  • Wireless keyboard and mouse.
  • Modified or light version of Windows 7 for fast bootup and startup.
  • Wireless and wired network connectivity.
  • Fast, mid-range Intel Core i5 or Core i7 processor.
  • Fast, mid-range or high mid-range Nvidia GPU that can fit within a small MiniITX or MicroATX enclosure.
  • Small footprint. Runs cool. Doesn't use as much power as a dedicated, high-end gaming PC, but is slightly higher than a 360/PS3 console's power usage.
  • Enough RAM for Windows and gaming-- 8 GB as already mentioned.
  • Steam pre-installed but other game download services can be installed-- Amazon; Origin; Gamefly; and possibly OnLive.
I would not be surprised at all if it even has a modified Windows shell that shows up at bootup similar to the SNES PC (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cBtYiQ1mnvA). There it was using a modified shell and frontloader called Hyperspin. And, I would not be surprised it's a modified Windows shell that has Steam as the default frontloader, program and interface for games with access to the default Windows desktop or Start menu if want to use third party game download services like Origin.

So you can think of it like this (simplified):

Steam Store interface/program
^
Steam modified shell or overlay
^
Windows 7 or Windows 8 (with Metro UI on by default); Embedded or Basic
^
Drivers
^
Hardware

Being a Windows machine out of the box, there isn't a need for a specialized SDK. Programmers already have the tools they need to develop games for a Valve console because it's a Windows-based PC.

I also would not be surprised this is going to use Windows 8 from the get-go because of WinRT and Windows apps. By looking at Android devices, think of something similar for a small Windows-based PC.

Humor me for a minute and just imagine the following if I think I know what Valve is intending:
You take the Valve "console PC" and hook it up to the HDTV via HDMI. Power up your wireless keyboard and mouse (with batteries of course).

The system boots up. No POST screen or BIOS diagnostics.

Steam or Valve logo shows up instead of the Windows logo.

You go straight to an initial Windows setup skinned similar to Steam. You set up your network connection, user name, and e-mail account.

You are then brought into the Steam account setup page or login page.

Afterwards, you boot into the Steam "shell" with the Store already accessible within minutes. Steam UI adjusted for use on an HDTV-- larger sized fonts, bigger images, and less clutter than the regular Steam client.

You buy a game from the Steam Store and download it.

... Game auto-installs itself with no user-interaction thanks to the features of WinRT.

This game then shows up on the MetroUI panel, but isn't shown. The game is actually in your Steam library shown in a similar list-view, thumbnail view or MetroUI style square buttons.

You click on the game you want to play and starts up.

Once in the game, you can configure the controls however you want thanks to it being a PC game.​
Of course, this will require that the game be programmed in WinRT instead of Win32 first. However I can see Win32-based games working in similar fashion, but slower installation.

Seeing that Steam has access to AMD's video drivers, I would imagine similar would be made for the Nvidia video card and system drivers.

It's basically the gaming PC for simple folks that can't tell the difference between desktop and laptop memory, or the difference between what is RAM and what is hard drive space. (Believe me, I have customers that tell me they have 500 GB of memory and 8 GB of RAM. :D)

This is THE computer for these kinds of people.

If I were to build a HTPC from off the shelf parts, it could easily be within the $600 price tag that newer consoles are going to have. Don't look now that the 360 and PS3 are cheap, cause they were a good $400 - $600 within the first few years.

$100 motherboard

$40 250 GB hard drive

$20 for 4 Gigs of ram

$70 for Nvidia GT 440

All that comes to $530 just from shopping on NewEgg. It has an Intel i7, an Nvidia Graphics card, and an acceptable amount of ram and storage. We still have $70 to play with, which could include Windows, a DVD drive, or just better graphics, more ram, or better case.

If Valve is putting this together, then it'll likely be cheaper for them to put this together then just sitting here and choosing stuff off NewEgg. Include a gamepad and you're good to go.

Lol @ IDE HDD.

But not as capable as one for $1000 right? :p

The main benefit of a console is that games are optimized to run on very specific hardware. Valve releasing a console/PC thing that uses specific parts can allow developers to release "Steam Box optimized" versions of their games. That may in turn encourage PC game development, a double win.

$100 motherboard

$40 250 GB hard drive

$20 for 4 Gigs of ram

$70 for Nvidia GT 440

Also, it may be slightly cheaper than $500 seeing you can buy PC parts in bulk and sell the assembled hardware for a profit.

What may cost $500 build by buying off-the-shelf parts from Newegg may actually be $300 to $300 depending on the parts involved.

Highly competitive pricing compared to a $249 PS3 with 160 GB hard drive or $299 Xbox 360 S with a 250 GB hard drive. On top of which a large of already available games and software from the get-go.

Also, it may be slightly cheaper than $500 seeing you can buy PC parts in bulk and sell the assembled hardware for a profit.

What may cost $500 build by buying off-the-shelf parts from Newegg may actually be $300 to $300 depending on the parts involved.

Highly competitive pricing compared to a $249 PS3 with 160 GB hard drive or $299 Xbox 360 S with a 250 GB hard drive. On top of which a large of already available games and software from the get-go.

*$300 to $400

Curse thee "no Edit button."

When I first read about this, I thought about what Valve might be intending this for and I think it comes down to this:
This is going to be a small, internet-connected computer in MiniITX or MicroATX size. It will most likely run either Windows 7 or 8, whether embedded or Basic. It is intended for those that aren't the brightest around a computer but don't want to be limited by a console's hardware limitations. This same audience also want to play computer games but want the freedom to play whatever game they want. Therefore the "console" or "mini PC" will be the following:
  • Highly accessible. No need to tinker with the hardware.
  • Fast out of the box.
  • Priced between a gaming console and a mid-range computer.
  • Limited upgradeability, unlike video game consoles with no chance to upgrade a lot of the internals outside of the hard drive.
  • HDMI (1080p/720p) TV connectivity.
  • Wireless keyboard and mouse.
  • Modified or light version of Windows 7 for fast bootup and startup.
  • Wireless and wired network connectivity.
  • Fast, mid-range Intel Core i5 or Core i7 processor.
  • Fast, mid-range or high mid-range Nvidia GPU that can fit within a small MiniITX or MicroATX enclosure.
  • Small footprint. Runs cool. Doesn't use as much power as a dedicated, high-end gaming PC, but is slightly higher than a 360/PS3 console's power usage.
  • Enough RAM for Windows and gaming-- 8 GB as already mentioned.
  • Steam pre-installed but other game download services can be installed-- Amazon; Origin; Gamefly; and possibly OnLive.
I would not be surprised at all if it even has a modified Windows shell that shows up at bootup similar to the SNES PC (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cBtYiQ1mnvA). There it was using a modified shell and frontloader called Hyperspin. And, I would not be surprised it's a modified Windows shell that has Steam as the default frontloader, program and interface for games with access to the default Windows desktop or Start menu if want to use third party game download services like Origin.

So you can think of it like this (simplified):

Steam Store interface/program
^
Steam modified shell or overlay
^
Windows 7 or Windows 8 (with Metro UI on by default); Embedded or Basic
^
Drivers
^
Hardware

Being a Windows machine out of the box, there isn't a need for a specialized SDK. Programmers already have the tools they need to develop games for a Valve console because it's a Windows-based PC.

I also would not be surprised this is going to use Windows 8 from the get-go because of WinRT and Windows apps. By looking at Android devices, think of something similar for a small Windows-based PC.

Humor me for a minute and just imagine the following if I think I know what Valve is intending:
You take the Valve "console PC" and hook it up to the HDTV via HDMI. Power up your wireless keyboard and mouse (with batteries of course).

The system boots up. No POST screen or BIOS diagnostics.

Steam or Valve logo shows up instead of the Windows logo.

You go straight to an initial Windows setup skinned similar to Steam. You set up your network connection, user name, and e-mail account.

You are then brought into the Steam account setup page or login page.

Afterwards, you boot into the Steam "shell" with the Store already accessible within minutes. Steam UI adjusted for use on an HDTV-- larger sized fonts, bigger images, and less clutter than the regular Steam client.

You buy a game from the Steam Store and download it.

... Game auto-installs itself with no user-interaction thanks to the features of WinRT.

This game then shows up on the MetroUI panel, but isn't shown. The game is actually in your Steam library shown in a similar list-view, thumbnail view or MetroUI style square buttons.

You click on the game you want to play and starts up.

Once in the game, you can configure the controls however you want thanks to it being a PC game.​
Of course, this will require that the game be programmed in WinRT instead of Win32 first. However I can see Win32-based games working in similar fashion, but slower installation.

Seeing that Steam has access to AMD's video drivers, I would imagine similar would be made for the Nvidia video card and system drivers.

It's basically the gaming PC for simple folks that can't tell the difference between desktop and laptop memory, or the difference between what is RAM and what is hard drive space. (Believe me, I have customers that tell me they have 500 GB of memory and 8 GB of RAM. :D)

This is THE computer for these kinds of people.

This guy gets it

stupid dumbist fucking idea ever since the god damn phantom.

go buy a fucking small form factor PC with HDMI out and optical out install steam on it and plug in a wireless game pad and a mouse, keyboard and you have a fucking steam console.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phantom_Entertainment

valve is really wasting time working on this crap and not source engine 2 or something like that?

This kind of system is for those console like gamers that want to transition to the pc. Aimed at the people that can't build a pc and want to game on one pretty much. It might be affordable. It could be successful if it can play a lot of games at decent graphics.

guarantee you 90% of those gamers, given 2 minutes with a keyboard and mouse and being told its free to play online would jump all over it, heh i knew a rough dude who had done some prison time and he used to play a xbox, so i showed him and let him play some HL2DM, and ut99 and he was hooked fully got right into the online gaming and tf2, never touched that xbox again

if its a console with their library of games then damn never leave the couch

When's the last time you've installed software for a controller?

Pre-X360 days. Now, though, unless you have a 360-based controller it will either require some special program to use or refuse to work entirely. :rolleyes:

That is one thing that pisses me off...PC game devs pretty much only support 360 controller variants nowadays. I tried to use my Logitech Rumblepad 2 with Driver: San Fran (I believe) and it wouldn't work, at all. Wouldn't even recognize it as a controller. Similar situation with other games. Basically I was forced to buy a new controller that used the 360 layout.

Great. Now they can have even more excuse to conlsole-ize PC games even more. :rolleyes:

You think developers will make a console version, a pc version, and a "steambox" version?

No.

They'll screw up the PC version to cover both PC and "steambox".

If I wanted a console, I'd have bought one already.

Back