Rumor: The Division Downgraded On PC

HardOCP News

[H] News
According to statements supposedly made by an anonymous employee at Ubisoft Massive in Sweden, the PC version of The Division is being downgraded much the same way Watch Dogs was when it shipped. The whole story seems dodgy to me, I'd take this with a asteroid-sized grain of salt.

Right now we already took out quite a lot of screen space reflections from the game and are working on asset management the best we can given consoles have that great unified memory. Naturally we will also be using online servers and have to produce a synchronization that higher graphics add to the latency so it had to be turned down. To me it still looks good, but not as good as the original reveal. I am sure as we get closer to launch and the actual console versions of the game featuring SD (Snowdrop) that it will start to seem all too obvious to people especially those on PCs. I just wanted to write and let you know that it definitely is not just stability but marketing politics plays into this a lot as well.

Take it with an asteroid-sized grain of salt, post it as news anyway.

Sad day to be a member of the Glorious PC-gaming Master Race :(

Does optimizing for the memory architecture of consoles really make that much of a difference when porting the code to the PC? In theory the PC has the potential for significantly more raw muscle on both the CPU and GPU fronts. Plus I was hoping that the move to an x86 architecture would make the entire porting process easier. I guess that's out the window...

Until I hear it from the horses mouth or actually see it in practice, I'll call BS.

Still, it is Ubisoft... If true, that really sucks. PC gamers will be PISSED and Ubi may be signing off for PC gaming... If false, I still look forward to The Division.

Except this time around they learned their lesson from Watch Dogs. Ubi will make sure that they remove the code so we can't add the features back and expose them for their crap.

No proof = No Scandal

Does optimizing for the memory architecture of consoles really make that much of a difference when porting the code to the PC? In theory the PC has the potential for significantly more raw muscle on both the CPU and GPU fronts. Plus I was hoping that the move to an x86 architecture would make the entire porting process easier. I guess that's out the window...

It does make it easier, but that doesn't mean it makes it easy.

As far as the validity of the story? Who knows. You're bound to probably get some people at the company thinking they're doing everything they can and other people who don't drink the Kool-Aid.

Except this time around they learned their lesson from Watch Dogs. Ubi will make sure that they remove the code so we can't add the features back and expose them for their crap.

No proof = No Scandal

This. I really hope PC gamers aren't going to pre-order this game hoping that Ubisoft will finally change this time.

Why would CPU architecture matter any? It's not like anyone is coding in Assembly. What REALLY matters is the API's, and guess what? Those are still different.

So basically all this tells me is that Ubisoft hired lazy devs if they can't do what other companies are doing. If this is true to begin with.

So basically all this tells me is that Ubisoft hired lazy devs if they can't do what other companies are doing. If this is true to begin with.

Say what? Ubisoft gives the orders, devs comply. It's a simple concept.

Given Ubisoft's history I dont have any problem believing this is true but either way... don't pre-purchase OR buy it on release day. Wait until the marketing bullshit dies down. It doesn't take long for real reviews to come out. If its a good game, it'll still be good a week later and if its another bag of turd you saved yourself $60-90. If you pre-purchase you are an idiot who is asking Ubisoft to screw you.

Well Watchdogs was intentionally brought down on the graphics quality, because, they couldn't get everything working in time, wanted console games sales to go up, or didn't want the consoles to look like s#!t against a PC version...So I wouldn't be surprised, but you would think after the big scandal of the last game, they wouldn't try the same crap twice, or at least hide/delete the evidence.

hey that's cool -- if they want to fuck themselves out of ANOTHER 50 or 60 dollars, fine by me. Skipped watch dogs, and if they downgrade to satisfy their new console overlords, fuck em.

Sad, because it looked like an interesting and fun game.

Now that you mention it, that makes perfect sense on why WatchDogs was so VRAM hungry. The unified memory - they simply didn't optimize the port to properly use the PC's non unified memory.

Now that you mention it, that makes perfect sense on why WatchDogs was so VRAM hungry. The unified memory - they simply didn't optimize the port to properly use the PC's non unified memory.

Games have been having issues with VRAM for a while now though. A 2GB card for "very high" settings has been par for the course for a while now.

I just wanted to write and let you know that it definitely is not just stability but marketing politics plays into this a lot as well.
That means Sony or Microsoft had a hand in this. Most likely Sony since they're working closely with them for movie deals and what not.

The whole story seems dodgy to me, I'd take this with a asteroid-sized grain of salt
Actually no.I'll believe this over the constant lies from the big publishers any day.The track record of these guys is clear.Watchdogs ,Farcry 3,Aliens Colonial Marines, the list could go on.This has become standard operating procedure.

This is in line with what I posted in the Tom Clancy's The Division E3 2014 Trailer thread two weeks ago.

I have no idea how true/accurate this is so take it with a big grain of salt, but the son of an acquaintance has been asked to play-test the game last week and he said the alpha he tried looked nothing like what was shown during E3. In his opinion it looked very bad compared to what was demonstrated on stage.

Until I hear it from the horses mouth or actually see it in practice, I'll call BS.
I'm not sure why you're taking this stance since it has LITERALLY been seen in practice with Watch Dogs. Their E3 trailer showed details that were more or less just turned off for the PC copy, then they publicly came out (twice no less) and said there was no downgrade and lied to everyone's face, until they backpedaled once the evidence was overwhelmingly obvious. Plus take Far Cry 3, which also showed far more detail in their E3 gameplay footage, then a lot of it disappeared for the final version.

The evidence has already shown Ubisoft IS downgrading their games graphically. Normally the burden of proof is on the person WITHOUT evidence.

Take it with an asteroid-sized grain of salt, post it as news anyway.
It's likely more truthful than anything Ubisoft themselves have said on the matter.

Ugh this was the first new game I was hoping to buy, looks like they won't be getting my money if the downgrade is true. I have a 690 for a reason............

probably going to end up buying on release date, if I procrastinate pre-ordering it. its just human nature :D. im sure others will do the same.

Xbox One and Playstation 4 have brought us what will be known as the "downgrade" generation.

Um...did people here entirely miss the Watch Dogs fiasco? Ubisoft doesn't give a shit about PC versions.

Games have been having issues with VRAM for a while now though. A 2GB card for "very high" settings has been par for the course for a while now.

I just remember reading reports that WatchDogs was exceptionally bad with VRam. People with 2Gb cards not being able to run Very High. 3Gb having trouble with Ultra. Despite it saying that 3Gb is recommended for Ultra.

I'm not sure why you're taking this stance since it has LITERALLY been seen in practice with Watch Dogs. Their E3 trailer showed details that were more or less just turned off for the PC copy, then they publicly came out (twice no less) and said there was no downgrade and lied to everyone's face, until they backpedaled once the evidence was overwhelmingly obvious. Plus take Far Cry 3, which also showed far more detail in their E3 gameplay footage, then a lot of it disappeared for the final version.

Because the backlash on doing it again would be pretty bad. Will they make the same mistake? Source on the rumor? So many little things that make it questionable.

If it's true, then it's fucked and Ubi will have a tiny boycott (most people will still buy it). I won't be getting it, though. Which sucks, because it looks awesome.

Given a reliable source, I'd be more willing to believe it. Some random poster? Not gonna take it as reliable...

Because the backlash on doing it again would be pretty bad. Will they make the same mistake?
Well they're doing it right now with Far Cry 4, claiming that "ultra" settings on the PC will be equivalent to the normal settings for Xbox One. They've done this multiple times before, them NOT doing this for The Division would be more remarkable.

I get your hesitance to believe a unconfirmed source, since that normally makes sense, but in this case, proclaiming it bullshit on principle implies you think it's NOT true, which doesn't make much sense at all to me. I mean look at the history:

Far Cry 3 = graphics downgrade
Watch Dogs = graphics downgrade + flat out lied about it, twice
Far Cry 4 = Already surmised being graphics are being downgraded
The Division = Unconfirmed source it is being downgraded.

All I can say is if you think that claim is false, you have a HELL of a lot more faith in Ubisoft than I do. I REALLY don't think they'll care about the PC backlash. In fact, I'd be willing to be cold hard cash The Division will NOT look as good as the E3 gameplay on PC. That's kind of the acid test.

I get your hesitance to believe a unconfirmed source, since that normally makes sense, but in this case, proclaiming it bullshit on principle implies you think it's NOT true, which doesn't make much sense at all to me. I mean look at the history:

I take the rumor or source as BS. I wouldn't put it past Ubi to do so, and it's up in the air on whether or not it is true or not. So, I won't say yes or no if I believe the claim (I could make the same claim on any upcoming Ubi game, and I have a good chance that it could be true).

Just don't trust the source is all...

EA Sports talked about how UFC would be 1080p on the PS4, they showed really great looking sharp beautiful videos and screenshots. Then came the demo and it was a blurry sad pile of 900p barely 30fps. Just like the Xbox One version. What's different between the two are that the PS4 has twice the MSAA depth of the Xbox One version.

The Division, earlier this year, moved to use the Xbox One has a target platform. If this becomes another title where you can barely tell the consoles apart and it comes clear PS4 and PC are underperforming and far from its visual potential, that makes raw evidence that Microsoft are running a visual parity campaign.

Even if they didn't have Destiny or Blizzard, Activision really are a respectable bunch now.

So how is that final review of Watch Dogs IQ and Performance coming? :p

On pause, had to get a few other reviews done first.

Good thing we waited though since the new patch just came out, would have had to re-tested everything.

Sieg heil the PC master race...oh wait... and here I thought the new gen of consoles would be good for the PC game scene. Sadly mistaken.

Back