Rumor: Sony Could Be Considering a PlayStation Classic

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
Nothing is set in stone yet, but Sony Interactive Entertainment executives have admitted to mulling over the possibility of a PlayStation Classic. Some are predicting that it will draw inspiration from the PSone, which was a smaller, redesigned version of the original console that supported an external LCD screen.

The company’s newer PlayStation model, a slimmer version that’s colored white, sold reasonably well when it came out years ago; and there was also a portability option with an attachable screen. If Sony could produce a classic console model like that with its own built-in screen, the ability to connect to a television and several games from first and third-party publishers thrown in, it could have a huge hit on its hands.

It would be great to play Metal Gear Solid in 1080P without a disk Where do I sign up
4e681fedc8635bb2-600x400.png

I dunno, they could just rebrand the Playstation TV/Vita and include some built in PSone classics on it and call it a 'Playstation Classic'.

I just hope on whatever they decide, they allow users to download/purchase additional classic games from their PS store.

MG Solid, Star Wars Demolition, Omega Boost, Spider-Man 1&2, Transformers Transmetal Beastwars, and about 3 dozen others I can't remember anymore.

Instead of just doing a PS classic, do a PS2 remake. Thing rocked PSone games and there's hundreds there also we'd all love to play again.

Seems stupid to me. The Nintendo units worked because the hardware itself invokes nostalgia, both the console and the controller. That's a big draw that doesn't really exist with the PS1, especially in regards to the controller. They keep upgrading on the same controller, which means the current controller is everything the PS1 controller is, just much more refined. I think they would be much better off just releasing PS1 games digitally on PS4.

I could see this working for an N64, even a Dreamcast. Just not a PS1. I think the controller is a lot more relevant to invoking pleasant memories of these games that Sony realizes.

If they publish a portable hand held switch like device for their first and second gen consoles... I wold ask for a USB disk reader so people could load games from those generations without having to re buy them. Because THAT would be a MASSIVE value add to the console. It would sell like hot cakes! (They would need to make it and have it be profitable from a hardware level or charge a fee for each game imported like a buck or something for licensing.)

A bunch of ps1 games still adds up to a real amount of storage, not sure if that's going to fly in product that's supposed to be inexpensive.

Why the hell don't they release all these as emulated files on the PS4 and rake in the cash? This device will be hacked inside of 30 days and we will be able to load whatever games we want on it.

Sony still hasn't learned even though they are trying to exit the device business and still fail horribly.

sony will find some way to screw this up.

make you have to connect to ps online and play the games live over the internet or something.

Reactions: N4CR
like this
I wonder if this rumour is also linked to the Switch-like hybrid console by Sony. I'd totally be down for a system like that, even if it only played PS classics
No. PS1 games do not age well.

16gb can hold 25-30 games. I don't see them releasing this with more games then that.

This is very true. The SNES games still hold up relatively well, but those early 32-bit polygonal PSX games look like ass.

I really like Grim's Switch-style retro console. My favourite thing about my Vita (besides Persona 4) was using it to play classic games. Have that portable factor combined with the ability to hook up to a monitor - and I'd be set.

No thanks. I got my fill of playing ps1 games on my 1st gen ps3. Then I went to emulation.

(S)NES, genesis games coming back are fine because they don’t need to age well - the graphics and gameplay are simple enough.

Or, they could release a version of the PS4, call it the "ultra pro" with backwards compatibility w/ PS1 & PS2.

If the thing can be hacked the NES/SNES they will make $$$. Personally never Liked the PS. I have one never play it. I like my classic 8 bit stuff.

PS1 still my all time fave. Probably because it was the coming of age console for me.

I had a collection going about 10 years ago with prob 200+ games (incl. a sealed copy of Xenogears), but they were stolen.

Castlevania SotN, Destruction Derby 2, Gran Turismo, Ridge Racer Type 4 and Wipeout XL please (in addition to what others suggested). :D

Doom would be a long shot, but I think it was the best of Doom ports for the soundtrack and lighting.

But will you have to flip it over upside down to play games like the real thing?

Lol. My original PS (with RF adapter, and composite jacks) had to be run vertically after about a year of non-stop Twisted Metal 2.

The revised one I bought in '98 solved that.

You know what would work? A PS1 and PS2 mini-system that can download games onto a built in Hard-Drive and a CD-Drive/DVD-Drive respectively to play the classics we already have. Charge $90 for the PS1 and $130 for the PS2.

Might get a tad expensive I think, needs more storage then those 8 and 16 bit doodads, maybe I'll go for the Neo-Geo mini if the price is right.

Might get a tad expensive I think, needs more storage then those 8 and 16 bit doodads, maybe I'll go for the Neo-Geo mini if the price is right.
IDK, NES and SNES have what, 30 games each?
Sony might have the same amount and use 16-32GB depending if some are multi disc, doesn't have to be speedy flash either 2-4MB/s should be fine.

Already own one.. It's called a launch day PS3. I keep two of them just for my ps1/2 collection.

Already own one.. It's called a launch day PS3. I keep two of them just for my ps1/2 collection.
The bonus to that is that there is no software emulation happening like with all of these newer "classic" consoles - with the launch day PS3, everything is done in the original hardware.

No mention of FF7? I am dissapoint.

Although that game may be a bit too big for a mini console. It takes 4-5 games worth of storage space.

They already had a wonderful portable console that played ps1 games natively. Plus the PS2 and PS3

I miss the PSP

I thought MGSV was over rated, and at parts clunky but still memorable and fun overall. I'd like to see them do a remaster. And maybe a 3D remake of Metal Gear 1/2. But with what Konami has done I doubt it.

There's sort of a remake of Metal Gear1, on the GameCube

That'd be interesting, there are a lot of PS1 games I never played because I couldn't get the physical copy of the disc.

The Original Dark Souls here Kings Field 1 I finished it Magic made the game easy towards the end.

Back