(Rumor) Ryzen 7000 thermals are as hot as a neutron star

According to this site, AMD Ryzen 7000 series thermals are as hot as Sol's corona

https://www.notebookcheck.net/AMD-R...3900K-runs-comparatively-cooler.645174.0.html
I agree with the post that this is likely more a BIOS issue than anything else, my EPIC servers have traditionally suffered similar problems during their initial configuration until I get a few BIOS updates under their belts. AMD runs things really tight to the maximums and until they get those nailed in their voltage and frequency settings are all over the map.
So will they be hotter, I mean obviously they have a lot more voltage being poured in and that directly means more heat, will this be an issue of significance, NO, unless you are somebody who builds ITX systems then I wish you luck.

SMH. Keep a salt shaker handy until after Ryzen 7000, Raptor Lake and both Nvidia/AMD next gen GPUs release.

Seems like the misinformation vacuum is strongest and loudest right before a big launch - these days more than ever - with every tech youtuber and free wordpress blog regurgitating anything controversial for clicks.

I'll be building both Raptor Lake and 7900X systems, but the noise to signal ratio in "tech journalism" these days makes it almost embarrassing to be interested in this tech space anymore.

Last edited:
Title says neutron star, OP says the sun's corona. 90C isn't even comparatively close to either of those. Wonderful clickbait.

Also, per the article:

Finally, it is important to remember that Enthusiast Citizen tested the ES/QS of Zen 4 CPUs. So, take these thermal performance results with a grain of salt.

It's an ES part folks...

I agree with the post that this is likely more a BIOS issue than anything else, my EPIC servers have traditionally suffered similar problems during their initial configuration until I get a few BIOS updates under their belts. AMD runs things really tight to the maximums and until they get those nailed in their voltage and frequency settings are all over the map.
So will they be hotter, I mean obviously they have a lot more voltage being poured in and that directly means more heat, will this be an issue of significance, NO, unless you are somebody who builds ITX systems then I wish you luck.
LIttle bit of lede burying in the article:

"Another reason can be faulty BIOS. Per @harukaze5719, the Ryzen 7000 CPUs do run quite hot at stock settings under load. The CPUs reportedly downclock too much and take too high of a voltage. But once you manually adjust VCore, not only does the temperature drop significantly, but the CPU also retains the clock speed. "

Love the comments on the original link... "paid Intel shills"

But, I wouldn't be surprised..anything is possible to what competition will do 🤣

why is anyone surprised? they almost doubled rated tdp over that 3950x

at lest the 8-core continues to tread water with zen 3 (but that 6 core is a bit hard to swallow!)

Title says neutron star, OP says the sun's corona. 90C isn't even comparatively close to either of those. Wonderful clickbait.

Also, per the article:

It's an ES part folks...
Nothing is click bait it ls called dry humor. Man this world is full of people who wake up seek a reason to be offended.

Do you for one second think anyone is stupid enough to actually believe a cpu can be as hot as neutron star which is millions of degrees C and or the Sun's Corona which is over a Million C? Wow and you call it click bait?

The title is hyperbole and nothing more. But they don't teach the meaning of that word in schools anymore, heck they don't even teach cursive anymore.

Last edited:
Just as a reminder, the 5800x3D also runs very hot. Running anything that stresses all CPU cores will cause it to reach 90C instantly, and sit there. This is on a 280mm AIO.

90C for modern CPUs is completely fine and within spec.

im not suprised. With the higher TDP and AVX512 i expected it.

there's no increase in execution unit size, only new control registers.

I mean Zen 2 had the last bump in execution unit size (and its one of the most efficient AMD cores ever)

Hopefully it is just a rumor. Gradually the amount of heat mid to upper mid range parts dump out into your room is increasing. My current setup heats up the room quicker than it used to in the past, and I only have an RTX 3070 and Ryzen 3700X. RTX 3070 has a modest OC if I recall, just increasing the power limit type stuff through EVGA Precision.

Nice in the winter, not in the summer.

Nothing is click bait it ls called dry humor. Man this world is full of people who wake up seek a reason to be offended.

Do you for one second think anyone is stupid enough to actually believe a cpu can be as hot as neutron star which is millions of degrees C and or the Sun's Corona which is over a Million C? Wow and you call it click bait?

The title is hyperbole and nothing more. But they don't teach the meaning of that word in schools anymore, heck they don't even teach cursive anymore.

Oh believe me, I completely understood that it's hyperbole, but it's not even good hyperbole. Not is it even consistent! Which is it? A neutron star or the sun's corona? There's a magnitude of difference here.

And while we're at it, given temperatures THAT extreme I wholly expected to see images of said cpu amidst a pile of molten slag after melting case steel, plastics and fiberglass glowing with the intensity of a freshly born neutron star! You, sir, have totally disappointed me!

(In case it wasn't clear, my post was satire)

Oh believe me, I completely understood that it's hyperbole, but it's not even good hyperbole. Not is it even consistent! Which is it? A neutron star or the sun's corona? There's a magnitude of difference here.

And while we're at it, given temperatures THAT extreme I wholly expected to see images of said cpu amidst a pile of molten slag after melting case steel, plastics and fiberglass glowing with the intensity of a freshly born neutron star! You, sir, have totally disappointed me!

(In case it wasn't clear, my post was satire)
Is a neutron star whiter than a bleached ass hole? Asking for a friend…

More power, more heat. Of course it will be the case. Will it be so hot that it's a problem... doubt that.

On the plus side AMD has made it possible to buy one really good cooling system and carry it through 10 years worth of machines. Anyone that over bought on their AM4 cooler is fine assuming they can get an adapter plate. And if your building a new AM5 system I imagine low end cooler wasn't on your radar anyway.

Well, I definitely expect it to be hotter than the 5900x was. Other than that............. meh whatever. I'm not in any rush for judgement.

Sigh
Guess I'm going to continue to be using my Sandy Bridge a bit longer until AMD can get their thermals under control.

Sigh
Guess I'm going to continue to be using my Sandy Bridge a bit longer until AMD can get their thermals under control.
Why would it matter what the cpu reads? as long as it runs properly let the cooling system do it's job and enjoy the cpu.

Why would it matter what the cpu reads? as long as it runs properly let the cooling system do it's job and enjoy the cpu.

Because if my CPU temperature get high, my motherboard starts to speed my fans up and I don't like the annoying sound that causes.

Because if my CPU temperature get high, my motherboard starts to speed my fans up and I don't like the annoying sound that causes.
Then set a manual speed so it doesn't get too loud. Assuming, of course, temps remain under control still.

Buy a better cooler. There are plenty of very quite CPU fan options.

Lets also all be honest... as much as people are going OH NO its going to be hot. Is it going to be INTEL hot ? lmao I doubt that very highly.

Even if these are 50% hotter then the previous AMD gen... that still makes them cooler then Intels reactors.

From what I understand that it was a ES CPU, and it wasn't running at proper voltage/speeds etc. So, lets wait until we see retail samples imo.

Not saying it won't be hot. Lets just wait for real reviews.

I know, :). I meant as far as the upgrade from a 2600k as they have a lower tdp.
Guess it depends what they are using it for. I'll take a new CPU that will boost and burn to 100 degrees at 100% load... but will also sit at 10% load 99% of the time and sip power, and turn out next to no heat. VS a 12 year old CPU that will be at 99% utilization playing DOTA and run at Max draw the entire time.

Unless someone is stress testing these 24 hours a day who cares if they can get to surface of the sun temps. If someone is really looking to use lots of CPU compute power they aren't on sandy bridge anymore.... without a doubt Zen 4 will run cooler and draw less power then what anyone who still runs a SB part is using it for. Just running a bunch of chrome tabs... or playing old games these Zen4s will likely hardly break double digit utilization.

Then set a custom fan curve that suites your needs.
Maybe he wants to minimize heat output into his room? Otherwise, /shrug.
The temperature of the CPU is not necessarily high heat output , example: my 5800x using 100W runs at 81c and my 8700k overclocked using more power, roughy 180w, ran cooler(60s on a 360mm aio, 70s on a 280mm), but dumped more heat into my room overall. (both on a 360mm aio)

Last edited:
If the chip does get that hot, and use so little power, maybe it can be made into a fusion reactor! Infinite energy if we harvest the heat back into energy.

This is a rumor based on a bug from a earlier engineer sample. I would wait until the chips are out to talk about something that might not even be there.
There’s some truth to it, but nothing substantial enough to really matter. The chips are going to perform and higher power draw will always mean more heat. If normal temperature is in the 80’s and your mid to high end 360mm AIO isn’t saturating and the chip is reaching a sustained max and not a thermal max then it’s doing it’s job. I’m more worried for what the Zen4 EPYC’s are gonna run me because I’m in the market for a pair of them next year. I’m getting the impression they are going to be 240v as well (my Xeons already are) and the 240 circuit I have probably won’t handle the Intels and the AMD’s.

Back