Rumor - PS1 & PS2 Emulation Coming to PS4

bigdogchris

Fully [H]
A couple years back Sony patented emulation software for it's consoles. And more recently patented technology to add content to emulated games. Now there's rumors that PS1 and PS2 games are going to be supported on PS4 via emulation, some even upscaled to 1080p.

SOURCE
SOURCE
SOURCE
SOURCE

It will be nice to play some of the classics, but at the same time it will suck having to pay for them again... :-\.

Since PS1 and 2 are now off the market, I think Sony has an incentive to add BC to the system. For most of PS3's life cycle the PS2 was still on the market, so Sony had an incentive to quickly pull PS2 support.

those motherfuckers at sony just need to hurry the fuck up with the dlna media player

Don't get too excited. This will probably just be used to sell "classic" games through PSN just like the current PS1/2 games available online for PS3.

I only have maybe 4-5 games I really need from that era (mostly Street Fighter compilation games like Alpha Anthology and SF Anniversary) so I'd be okay with buying them again at a heavily discounted price.

Don't get too excited. This will probably just be used to sell "classic" games through PSN just like the current PS1/2 games available online for PS3.

It would be cool you could use the disc, but I get the feeling the games are going to have to be bought off PSN.

Sucker bet. There's no way in this world SCE...or the other manufacturers for that matter...wouldn't jump at the opportunity to sell (some of) us the same games we bought at least once under the auspice of "a new system with compatibility."

It would be only fair to sell most of those games for no more than $0.99.

They can do this through the Cloud network they plan to launch. They can do any Sony game ever using software rendering done through the cloud. But software rendering on the PS4? Why bother when the cloud can do it already?

They can do this through the Cloud network they plan to launch. They can do any Sony game ever using software rendering done through the cloud. But software rendering on the PS4? Why bother when the cloud can do it already?

Costs to stream. Ps1/2/ (possibly vita/psp games) are cheaper to download. Then just stream ps3 titles because they can't be emulated by the ps4.

Costs to stream. Ps1/2/ (possibly vita/psp games) are cheaper to download. Then just stream ps3 titles because they can't be emulated by the ps4.

Comcast sending a very large bill to Sony in the near future.

"Our network just can't handle people actually using it."

those motherfuckers at sony just need to hurry the fuck up with the dlna media player

This news is good for the PSN store. They're doing what they can to make it have options.

Yep. Honestly if the PS3 didn't have a DLNA service I wouldn't consider it such an amazing device for the 299.99 I paid for it. I wish Sony would start making 4k Blu-Ray discs so we would know if the PS4 can really play them or never will? I think they're just milking the blu ray market for another couple years and then everyone will have to double or triple dip from dvd>bluray 1080p>4k Bluray. They really put me on the fence, as to IF dlna IS coming to the PS4. It's almost 5 months after launch. Then what, 6 months go by...a year? Never?

Sony are control freaks and this is the best we get I guess, and we throw our money at these guys...maybe the PS3 is the better device overall, and the PS4 is a better device at just games.

Now give us the other options...dlna! pff that should have came at launch. I doubt we get it on PS4 because they think it will hurt their bottom line Blu Ray sales. Or they want to stream it for you on their computers because if you can stream it why would you need their upcoming service? Same reasoning we don't have native 4k Blu Ray discs either. (Financial) There's money to be made in milking 1080p for 2-5 more years. Then release 4k and I'll be triple dipping on Stanely Kubrick movies, The Goonies etc. 80's action movies. It's funny when I look back I had over 100 DVD's easily paid 15-25 each in the day, with Blu-Ray I have 10 I paid under 10.00 for every one. I realized how many old movies I bought actually suck, and aren't worth re-buying, and how few are.

1080p BR looks like up-scaled dvds now after seeing 4k.

Sucks waiting on the status quo. Funny Sony, funny.

To late Sony. I used the money I considered for a ps4 to upgrade my home server to a htpc with steam big picture mode. Now I can just launch ps1/2 emulators right from steam and play (mind you with a 360 controller but it works). Also got my SNES, n64 and Sega fix now to lol.

This news is good for the PSN store. They're doing what they can to make it have options.

Yep. Honestly if the PS3 didn't have a DLNA service I wouldn't consider it such an amazing device for the 299.99 I paid for it. I wish Sony would start making 4k Blu-Ray discs so we would know if the PS4 can really play them or never will? I think they're just milking the blu ray market for another couple years and then everyone will have to double or triple dip from dvd>bluray 1080p>4k Bluray. They really put me on the fence, as to IF dlna IS coming to the PS4. It's almost 5 months after launch. Then what, 6 months go by...a year? Never?

Sony are control freaks and this is the best we get I guess, and we throw our money at these guys...maybe the PS3 is the better device overall, and the PS4 is a better device at just games.

Now give us the other options...dlna! pff that should have came at launch. I doubt we get it on PS4 because they think it will hurt their bottom line Blu Ray sales. Or they want to stream it for you on their computers because if you can stream it why would you need their upcoming service? Same reasoning we don't have native 4k Blu Ray discs either. (Financial) There's money to be made in milking 1080p for 2-5 more years. Then release 4k and I'll be triple dipping on Stanely Kubrick movies, The Goonies etc. 80's action movies. It's funny when I look back I had over 100 DVD's easily paid 15-25 each in the day, with Blu-Ray I have 10 I paid under 10.00 for every one. I realized how many old movies I bought actually suck, and aren't worth re-buying, and how few are.

1080p BR looks like up-scaled dvds now after seeing 4k.

Sucks waiting on the status quo. Funny Sony, funny.

4k blu ray would have to span multiple discs, ain't gonna happen, will be a new format or new encoding.

4k blu ray would have to span multiple discs, ain't gonna happen, will be a new format or new encoding.

No it won't. Even at its current standard codec there are 200GB Blu Ray discs in the works and 4k Blu Ray players that are suppose to be released by the end of the year.

Since 4k is 4x the data of 1080p a 200GB disc would have the correct space requirements like a 50GB Blu Ray does for 1080p (often its lower than 40GB's in fact for 1080p).

With H.265 those requirements would be cut again another 50 percent for 4k resolution and even make 8k resolution possible.

The problem isn't really the devices/media to support 4k , its the TV's and content. 4k TV's are new and with very little content to support them. There are no 4k broadcasts in the states (I believe there is in Japan starting next year) and no 4k Blu Ray's and no 4k streaming (Netflix has announced it but it won't be here until Fall of 2014) top that off with the fact that only Vizio has a 4k TV in the thousand dollar range and you have little to no reason to support it.

Hell even remastering content to 4k would be a huge task and cost tons of money. 4k will remain something for PC users to take advantage of more than anyone else for now.

How much room does the audio take on a bluray. With the fact 4k is that much bigger it wouldn't be a straight jump as its only the video portion that would get larger, audio would still take the same amount of room right?

A couple of gigs at most. Audio will likely remain the same, as many of the audio tracks being offered are already lossless and identical to the original intended mix.

No it won't. Even at its current standard codec there are 200GB Blu Ray discs in the works and 4k Blu Ray players that are suppose to be released by the end of the year.

Since 4k is 4x the data of 1080p a 200GB disc would have the correct space requirements like a 50GB Blu Ray does for 1080p (often its lower than 40GB's in fact for 1080p).

With H.265 those requirements would be cut again another 50 percent for 4k resolution and even make 8k resolution possible.

The problem isn't really the devices/media to support 4k , its the TV's and content. 4k TV's are new and with very little content to support them. There are no 4k broadcasts in the states (I believe there is in Japan starting next year) and no 4k Blu Ray's and no 4k streaming (Netflix has announced it but it won't be here until Fall of 2014) top that off with the fact that only Vizio has a 4k TV in the thousand dollar range and you have little to no reason to support it.

Hell even remastering content to 4k would be a huge task and cost tons of money. 4k will remain something for PC users to take advantage of more than anyone else for now.

The 300gb disk in the works is not blu ray.

The 200gb Blu-ray Discs are "theoretical"

Which are you referring to, your post is confusing, speculative, and not correct. There is no format, and when it is finalized there's a 99.99999 percent chance it will not work on the ps4.

How much room does the audio take on a bluray. With the fact 4k is that much bigger it wouldn't be a straight jump as its only the video portion that would get larger, audio would still take the same amount of room right?

Will it even use the same codecs lol

Pure speculation, everything is speculation.

We are talking about 4k Blu-ray Discs. Why come to a forum if you aren't going to read? Why waste everybody's time?

Crap, let's talk about global warming now to make Ruoh happy.

Don't be a jerk. I was referring to the fact that Netflix is using the h.265 format, which you stated was pure speculation standard wise. At least, that's how I interpreted it.

h.265 will be fine for 4k on BRD.

Ha, I don't even think we have 1080p broadcast in the states. Maybe google fiber or other companies with a direct fiber to home connection have it. High resolution broadcast will never happen until the infrastructure is improved.

Put an HD tuner to your TV and you can get 1080p OTA broadcast in the states just fine.

Put an HD tuner to your TV and you can get 1080p OTA broadcast in the states just fine.

Channels are 1080i like NBC many are 720p haven't seen any 1080p OTA

Anyway on topic it would be nice if they added bc thru software I have zero faith in their ability to stream these game and be perfectly playable.
Although if they don't I don't care I keep all my consoles so I don't really need it.

Last edited:

No one broadcasts in 1080p in the US. Not over the air, not on cable, not on satellite.

Your choices are 1080i or 720p.

I haven't actually watched any (there are only 2-3 movies at a time) but there's a new 1080p On-Demand channel that showed up on Comcast not too long ago. Anyone tried it?
Other than the possibility of that, everything else is upscaled.

I haven't actually watched any (there are only 2-3 movies at a time) but there's a new 1080p On-Demand channel that showed up on Comcast not too long ago. Anyone tried it?
Other than the possibility of that, everything else is upscaled.

DirecTV has had Ondemand for awhile now but that isn't the same as a live broadcast. With DirectTV the movies are streamed via your internet. I'm sure Comcast works the same way.

I have learnt my lesson in this, always hype in gaming, overhype.

eg. the wii-u and wii have hyped up snes,nes games catalogues, the entiirety of it is less than 100 games out of 1000s of games produced.

a sony example is the vita which has BC with the psp, only a fraction of the psp catalogue is on psn, unlucky for me 90% of psp games I want are not on psn.

the ps1 games on psn is likely to be the same ones that are on there now, a fraction, ps2 I expect be similiar. apparently licensing is always to blame, these companies who own the licenses either no longer exist or decide they dont want their products sold anymore.

I have learnt my lesson in this, always hype in gaming, overhype.

eg. the wii-u and wii have hyped up snes,nes games catalogues, the entiirety of it is less than 100 games out of 1000s of games produced.

a sony example is the vita which has BC with the psp, only a fraction of the psp catalogue is on psn, unlucky for me 90% of psp games I want are not on psn.

the ps1 games on psn is likely to be the same ones that are on there now, a fraction, ps2 I expect be similiar. apparently licensing is always to blame, these companies who own the licenses either no longer exist or decide they dont want their products sold anymore.

I really dont understand why people are expecting developers to port games over to new consoles. They dont have to do this for the consumers. If you want to play a backlog of games then I recommend you buy a PC since it can play almost anything made in the past 25 years.

Don't be a jerk. I was referring to the fact that Netflix is using the h.265 format, which you stated was pure speculation standard wise. At least, that's how I interpreted it.

h.265 will be fine for 4k on BRD.

Which means you will need a new player, and what assurance do you have that it will work on the ps4? More speculation.

Which means you will need a new player, and what assurance do you have that it will work on the ps4? More speculation.

A software update would allow it to work. Any device that has HDMI 1.4 is capable of 4K/30fps and the PS4 has this.

Back