Rumor : Nvidia's RTX 3080 Ti Might Also Have A Mining Limiter

But miners don't want mining-specific cards. These don't have value on the used market. They want gaming cards which can be re-sold.
I think that's at least partially why they're going to such drastic lengths with this. They want to separate the markets so they can have more control over them independently, by lowering the value of newer gaming cards to miners they can charge a premium on the CMP cards and by preventing the used card market from being flooded with cheap cards whenever crypto takes a dive. Cheap 1080s flooding the market was one of the reasons the 2000 series didn't do as well.

What miners want really doesn't matter if they can make the alternative more attractive. Of course if they can find a way around the limiter all bets are off but I don't think Nvidia will allow the AIBs to sell uncrippled cards out the back door to miners like some are suggesting, they might sell some GPU/memory packages out the back door themselves though.

I think that's at least partially why they're going to such drastic lengths with this. They want to separate the markets so they can have more control over them independently, by lowering the value of newer gaming cards to miners they can charge a premium on the CMP cards and by preventing the used card market from being flooded with cheap cards whenever crypto takes a dive. Cheap 1080s flooding the market was one of the reasons the 2000 series didn't do as well.

What miners want really doesn't matter if they can make the alternative more attractive. Of course if they can find a way around the limiter all bets are off but I don't think Nvidia will allow the AIBs to sell uncrippled cards out the back door to miners like some are suggesting, they might sell some GPU/memory packages out the back door themselves though.

I believe that this is more accurate than Nvidia caring about gamers. If ETH were to crash overnight, there would be cards enough for everyone within a week at bargain prices as people would be limiting their losses.

No, it's pretty terrible. To put in perspective, a 3060Ti/3070/RX6800 will do 60MH at 120W. According to the Nvidia spec sheet, the 125W card only does 26MH. The 320W 90HX card does 86MH when a 3080 will do 100MH at 230W and a 3090 will do 120MH at 300W.

I don't see why miners would bother with these... Supposedly the 320W one is essentially a 3080, so I'd assume that there is the ability to tweak the settings to hash more efficiently, but that's the only one that's Ampere based. Turing hash rates and efficiency were terrible compared to Navi. A 5700/5700xt will do 50MH at 100W. The Turing based 50HX card is 45MH at 250W.

Plus, the "crypto limiter" is only good for Ethereum. Sure, once Eth 2.0 takes off, ethereum mining will not be as profitable, but something comes along to take its place. I've been doing this since the first BTC days...all of a sudden with ASICs then everyone moved to LTC...Now ETH.
But the driver listing shows the CMP 30HX being basically a 1660 super and should be operating in the 85-90w range and managing 30MH/s stock but they all can be overclocked based on the driver leak in 461.72, the 40HX based off the 2060s coming in closer to 125w and again with full overclocking support. Then it looks like the 50HX and 90HX are going to be based off the GA102's but with none of the tensor cores. So the driver makes them look far better than the released NVidia spec sheet, I mean some time soon somebody is going to get their hands on them and do some sort of review. So they aren't as good as the 3000 series for sure, but they aren't going to be as bad s the sheet suggests, its really going to come down to availability and price. I have a trio of 6x GPU server chassis that are about to be retired and I am tempted to set them up in one of the old racks with some of the mining cards as an experiment.

I think the mining only cards will come in at half the price the the video cards.. They would be smart to price them proportionally based on the Mh they can achieve. The posted Mh numbers are likely a "guaranteed minimum" and they will all exceed that value with overclocking. Miners will then buy them up not only because they are cheaper but because they are AVAILABLE. Hell even some gamers who causally mine might be interested.

The only reason that 50,000 3xxx series cards have been successfully scalped on Ebay is due to mining. Mining is insanely profitable atm, the RIO is ~ 3 months, 4 maybe 4.5 for cards bought at Ebay prices. These mining cards will sell and that offset of purchases should provide some relief for those of us looking for GPU's. I think everything will still be hard to find, but the scalp ebay price will start coming down, and more gamers will be able to get cards.

I've contemplated buying a dell with a video card upgrade just to pull the card and sell the pc, but I really don't feel like dicking with that. I might as well buy a mild scalper priced card because selling a lower end dell gaming pc with say one of my old cards in it, like a 1080Ti, I would very likely take a loss of $500ish or more. But anyway I don't want to do that either, so I am just going to keep trying.

I think the mining only cards will come in at half the price the the video cards.. They would be smart to price them proportionally based on the Mh they can achieve. The posted Mh numbers are likely a "guaranteed minimum" and they will all exceed that value with overclocking. Miners will then buy them up not only because they are cheaper but because they are AVAILABLE. Hell even some gamers who causally mine might be interested.

The only reason that 50,000 3xxx series cards have been successfully scalped on Ebay is due to mining. Mining is insanely profitable atm, the RIO is ~ 3 months, 4 maybe 4.5 for cards bought at Ebay prices. These mining cards will sell and that offset of purchases should provide some relief for those of us looking for GPU's. I think everything will still be hard to find, but the scalp ebay price will start coming down, and more gamers will be able to get cards.

I've contemplated buying a dell with a video card upgrade just to pull the card and sell the pc, but I really don't feel like dicking with that. I might as well buy a mild scalper priced card because selling a lower end dell gaming pc with say one of my old cards in it, like a 1080Ti, I would very likely take a loss of $500ish or more. But anyway I don't want to do that either, so I am just going to keep trying.
Remember that in most cases buying a scalper card means no warranty. I'm still on 1080ti too, really is high risk and cost so I'm waiting it out.

Especially at the high power consumption these monster cards use.. Not having a warranty, no thanks.

Remember that in most cases buying a scalper card means no warranty. I'm still on 1080ti too, really is high risk and cost so I'm waiting it out.

You can usually get a receipt from some of the better scalpers. I registered one that I traded for with someone else's Best buy receipt without any issues.

With all this nonsense, my next rig will probably be a laptop and a docking station. I’m tired of the hassle, stick a 5 year warranty on it and call the build done.

With all this nonsense, my next rig will probably be a laptop and a docking station. I’m tired of the hassle, stick a 5 year warranty on it and call the build done.
I’ve convinced myself to just get the highest tier card going forward every generation because there won’t be cards available when I need them

I’ve convinced myself to just get the highest tier card going forward every generation because there won’t be cards available when I need them
Honestly feel pretty good about buying my 2080 Ti at launch. At the time it seemed like overkill and a rip-off, but I've gotten several years of use and it's still got a lot of life.

Honestly feel pretty good about buying my 2080 Ti at launch. At the time it seemed like overkill and a rip-off, but I've gotten several years of use and it's still got a lot of life.
Stuck an EKWB block on mine and it’s happy and quiet. The LED’s are all tripping out though. I’d skip all that for my next build assuming that ever happens.

Mining is so profitable atm that miners are buying laptops with 3000 series GPU's in them just to use them for mining...

Mining is so profitable atm that miners are buying laptops with 3000 series GPU's in them just to use them for mining...
For a laptop I'd just call my rep to tell him what I want, he gives me a price tag and an ETA, when everything is made to order just means my order maybe takes a few days longer to arrive but at least I know what I am getting hassle-free and below MSRP, then just fill out some tax forms after and call it a night.

Back